Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #31
Loki
Banned

Default Re: What if Kobe break Jordan's 63 Point performance in the Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
damn! i thought it was baylor at like 43 followed by mike's 41 against phoenix. don't know where i got that in my head. maybe that's for a 7 game series? whatever. i might be ignorant, but i'm not ignorant enough to argue with you about stats.

I just found the site I have bookmarked at home. Here's are the best playoff series marks for the players in question:

Jerry West: 46.3 ppg
Michael Jordan: 45.2 ppg
Elgin Baylor: 40.6

Baylor might have had a series above 40.6 ppg, but the site I use only shows the record for "most points in a X-game series," and Baylor's 40.6 ppg was the record for a 7 game series. West's was the record for a 6-game series; Jordan's was the record for a 5-game series. I know West never topped that 46.3 ppg average, but Baylor might have topped 40.6 ppg, it just isn't listed. Jordan had one other series at 45 ppg one at 43.7 ppg, one at 43 ppg, and one at 41 ppg.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #32
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller1986
Although the Bulls got sweep by the legendary Boston Celtics, Jordan give them a hell of a fight scoring 63 points againts the best team in the NBA proves that one man can make a difference in NBA Record Book.

Your Boston Celtics eventually won their last NBA Championship in 1986 defeating a young Houston Rockets of Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Samson in the NBA Finals.

The best team isn't always the best defensive team. A lot of players will likely score more against Dallas or Phoenix than Detroit, though I think Dallas and Phoenix are both better teams. If Bryant scores a lot of points against Phoenix, people will point out that Phoenix regularly gives up a lot of points... that's exactly what happened when Bryant scored 50 on them in last years playoffs.

Oh, and though we didn't win the Championship in 86-87, we swept the Bulls again that year.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #33
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
this is correct. jordan averaged very few minutes that season. in fact the pts per minute break down to:

jordan 86 - .90 pts per minute
kobe 06 - .77 pts per minute

Jordan still managed to get his shots up that season, though. 18.2 shots per game in 25.1 minutes. About 0.73 shots a minute...

Another interesting fact is that the Bulls, with Jordan missing 64 games that season still managed to make the playoffs... with a 30-52 record...

I would point out that our great frontlind d was allowing teams to put up 104.7 on average that season...
Old 04-20-2007, 12:55 PM   #34
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

Quote:
I am not comparing it i just pointed out that Kobe is an elite NBA player who can score 65 or more points in the Playoffs. I cannot blame you guys you do not see the real deal about my post this is about shattering a 21 yrs.old record made by his Airness againts Larry Bird and his Celtics.:)

No, I understand. And don't get me wrong, Kobe is more than capable of putting up more than 63 in a playoff game, but there's one important detail that needs to be pointed out:

Jordan put up 63 and lost.
If Kobe ends up putting up 63 or more, he'll lose too.

If the Lakers end up needing Kobe to score that much, it's because they're in serious offensive trouble and can't score any other way. And while Kobe is one of the most prolific scorers in NBA history, he does have his off-nights too, usually pretty close to his high scoring nights.. at least, within seven games of them. And, if he's putting up that many points, it's a pretty good bet that the rest of the team isn't and he'll be pulling their weight through once again. Not a good outcome there.

Which would you rather have, Kobe breaking the record for points in the playoffs, or the Lakers being the Suns in the first round? I don't know about you, but if I were a Laker fan, I'd care more about the latter than the former. Ask MJ if he'd trade a few career scoring nights for more wins ;)
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #35
Cavsfan
Banned

I think by scoring 65 plus points in the NBA Playoff it would solidify that Kobe is the best pure scorer in the NBA. By having back to back scoring championship this will bring an aura of respect to Kobe Bryant even greater than those past 3 MVP's in the NBA.

I think LA LAKERS can also beat the Suns even though they are outnumbers in talent and the depth of the bench, but the thought of Kobe Bryant Scoring 65 or even 70 Points in the Post Season is a record that will have an exclamation point on it.
Cavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #36
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Jordan still managed to get his shots up that season, though. 18.2 shots per game in 25.1 minutes. About 0.73 shots a minute...

Another interesting fact is that the Bulls, with Jordan missing 64 games that season still managed to make the playoffs... with a 30-52 record...

I would point out that our great frontlind d was allowing teams to put up 104.7 on average that season...
104.7 pts for a high scoring team in 1987 is not necessarily a terrible number, but I hear you. :)
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #37
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavsfan
I think by scoring 65 plus points in the NBA Playoff it would solidify that Kobe is the best pure scorer in the NBA.

I don't think anyone's really questioning this though, are they? I certainly can't think of anyone else that I could put above him on that list that's playing in the game today. Now, if you're talking all time, then you've got to go through Wilt and Kareem, regardless of their positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavsfan
By having back to back scoring championship this will bring an aura of respect to Kobe Bryant even greater than those past 3 MVP's in the NBA.

Who really cares about scoring titles? This is yet another reason why Kobe and his fans get a bad rap: the focus on meaningless individual accomplishments. What's really more important here? Scoring or winning? Ideally, it'd be nice to have both, but as we've seen time and time again, it just doesn't work out that way.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #38
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

You are exactly right. In the words of Herm Edwards........You PLAY to WIN the GAME. HELLO!?!?! YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #39
paguy1955
High School Starter

Quote:
1986 is the year Larry Bird won his 3rd Consecutive MVP and in the 1986 Playoffs Michael Jordan score 63 Points against the Boston Celtocs. Bird said after the game God Disguise as Michael Jordan

What if Steve Nash won his 3rd Consecutive MVP ( I feel not so deserving) Kobe got into a scoring spree/rampage in the Playoffs against Phoenix and burn the Suns Defense Scoring 65 Points.

I think Kobe's Motivation will earn him the rights to break MJ's 21 yr. NBA RECORD in the Post Season.

If he does do that in a game I believe the Lakers will still lose by 10 points!
paguy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #40
Lakerz_Forever
Local High School Star

psh. he's got 4 games to do it.
Lakerz_Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #41
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

It will be a great accomplishment but will be diminished after the Lakers take a 1st round exit.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #42
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
It will be a great accomplishment but will be diminished after the Lakers take a 1st round exit.
why? the bulls got swept that year. sure they had lower expectations and were playing against a better team, but setting a record is setting a record, and that ought to last in people's minds longer than the circumstances.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:58 PM   #43
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
why? the bulls got swept that year. sure they had lower expectations and were playing against a better team, but setting a record is setting a record, and that ought to last in people's minds longer than the circumstances.

Yeah i see your point but something that will lessen it, at least in my mind, is the competition. Kobe would do it against a Suns team that is weak on D and pushes the pace which creates more possesions and scoring opporunities. Jordan had his 63 against a great Celtics team that was great on D and was very physical.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #44
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Jordan had his 63 against a great Celtics team that was great on D and was very physical.

Yes, but we did give up 104 points that season... We were great on D and physical relative to the other teams at the time, but because of the faster pace of that era, it wasn't especially hard for a player of Jordan's calibur to reach that score total.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #45
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Yes, but we did give up 104 points that season... We were great on D and physical relative to the other teams at the time, but because of the faster pace of that era, it wasn't especially hard for a player of Jordan's calibur to reach that score total.

You're not suggesting that high scoring (45+) games were more common then than now, right?

LOL @ "not especially hard." Yeah, it's the easiest record ever set. He only went up against a top 10 all-time perimeter defender, the best team defense in the league, and two shotblockers inside.

Last edited by Loki : 04-20-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: