Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #76
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Default Re: Another strange comment from Amare about Nash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24
BTW, Steve Nash CANNNOT dunk. At his charity game, he had many oppurtunies and guy got stuffed by the rim 3 out of 4 times.

So? whats the relevance of this post? why did you decide to bring this up?

There has to be many players in the NBA that can't dunk. so what?
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:36 AM   #77
Cavsfan
Banned

Jason Kidd is Much Better than Steve Nash!

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

With it seeming like more and more of the geek squad (i.e Marc Stein and Co.) are going to vote for Steve Nash for MVP, I thought that it would be proper to post a little bit of a Steve Nash hating post. Don’t get me wrong, I love Steve Nash and all. But I just don’t think a player of his caliber should ever be the back to back league MVP. That honor is usually set a side for players of the caliber of Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, and Larry Bird. Shaq and Hakeem Olawjuwon never even one the award two years in a row. And I know that a lot of people believe that the MVP award should be given to the player that is the most valuable to his team, but I have to disagree wholeheartedly with that. Throughout the history of the league the trophy has been given to the best performer during that particular year. Or in other words, the best player in the league during that particular year. Even an average basketball fan can tell you that Steve Nash is not the best player in the league. In fact, he might be the worst MVP in the modern era of the NBA. Seriously, is Steve Nash even a first ballot hall of famer? He’s not even in my top 10 point guards of All-Time. You’re telling me Tim Hardaway and Kevin Johnson in their primes wouldn’t have schooled this years version of Steve Nash? Maybe it is the lack of a true point guard in the league, rather than Nash’s actual greatness that makes him stand out? I mean take the early nineties. Think of the point guards around the league at that time. You had John Stockton, Gary Payton, Magic Johnson, Mark Price, Tim Hardaway, Kevin Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Terry Porter, Mookie Blaylock, Derek Harper, Mark Jackson, and Kenny Anderson. A few years later, players such as Penny Hardaway, Nick Van Exel, and Jason Kidd replaced guys such as Thomas and Johnson. My point is that the pgs of that era would run circles around point guards of today. Other than Chris Paul, Steve Nash and Jason Kidd, who are the true point guards that still exist in the game today? I mean you still have the overrated scoring point guards such as Stephon Me-Berry, Stevie Francis, and Allen Iverson, but those guys don’t count. I’m just saying that it is a down period for the position, and because of it, it makes Nash look like more than he is. Before his first year in Phoenix, did any of you actually consider Nash a first ballot Hall of Fame player? I mean, seriously! Prior to last year the guy only made a couple of All-Star teams and a couple of All-NBA third teams. Now the average NBA fan probably thinks Steve Nash is a better player now that Gary Payton ever was (which is just absolutely laughable to me). Nash is a good player, but more than anything he is a system player. Meaning he showed up at the right place at the right time. Kind of like how Andre Rison seemed like he was a comparable receiver to Jerry Rice for a couple of years because he was playing in the Atlanta Falcons high-powered 4 wide receiver Run and Shoot offense. Steve Nash plays in a system that highlights all of his assets. You’re telling me that Jason Kidd in his prime in the system the Suns currently employ wouldn’t run circles around what Nash currently does. Jason Kidd was made for this system, only when he played for the Suns he didn’t have a coach as great as Mike D’Antoni or a commitment to a running system the way that Steve Nash currently does have. As well, he never had players as good as Amare Stoudemire or Shawn Marion. Also, what about Nash’s current achievements is any better than what Jason Kidd did for the New Jersey Nets? When the trade was first consummated between the Nets and the Suns that sent Jason Kidd to the Nets for Stephon Marbury, how many of you actually thought that deal would propel the Nets into an Eastern conference powerhouse? I know I certainly didn’t think that. But that is exactly what J-Kidd did. He took the Nets to the best record in the East and to the Finals two years in a row. And if not for a bum knee against the Pistons in the 2004 playoffs, he probably would have taken them to the Finals for a 3rd consecutive year. If Jason Kidd didn’t get the MVP during those few years, there is no way that Steve Nash should be getting it now. The year prior to Nash’s arrival the Suns faltered more so because of injuries and coaching inconsistencies than anything else. The Suns were already a healthy franchise, only missing the playoffs a total of two times over a 15 year span. The Nets, on the other hand, were a perennial basement dwelling franchise searching for any ray of light. Jason Kidd single handedly resuscitated that franchise, yet where are all of his accolades and MVP trophies? On top of that, Jason Kidd does more for his team, because he actually plays defense. He’s Nash with D, minus the Jumpshot. And even his inconsistent jump shot is better than Nash’s non-existent D. Plus, hasn't Jason almost singlehandedly saved the Nets this season. He seems to be racking up tripple doubles (or at least near tripple doubles) on a nightly basis.
Cavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:38 AM   #78
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Cavsfan, no one is going to read all of, bold the relevant information, or just include the information needed, and get rid of the rest.

And try using paragraphs, it's makes it a little bit easier on the readers eye if you have paragraphs.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:39 AM   #79
Cavsfan
Banned

Nash is begging, "Please do NOT give me one more MVP!"

this A recent hot debate here is the question of who is the MVP. It's actually stupid to ask because we are only half-way through the season, but the three top candidates are nonetheless Nash, Kobe, and Dirk, with the majority of people favoring one of the first two.

I am not here to debate people about who should be the MVP. I don't want to hear about stats or reasons like "Nash makes his teammates better", "Dirk is the best player on the best team", or "Kobe is carrying the Lakers on his back without Lamar".

The main point of this blog is not to debate the question, but to point out a key fact for all Suns-Nash lovers:

Do you really want Steve Nash to win a 3rd straight MVP? Do you even know what does that mean for Nash and his legacy? Have you thought about the phrase, "be careful of what you wish for"?

If Nash wins a 3rd MVP, he will join the ranks of Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Magic, Larry, Oscar, and MJ. Those names are the NBA! They are the legends that will live forever in the hearts of all basketball fans around the world. Does Nash really belong in that group?

It's like your fat ugly sister walking the runways during the Victoria's Secrets fashion show. For the sake of her face and dignity, you should never allow that to happen.

More importantly, what if Nash (at age 33) doesn't go on to win a championship or even play in the Finals this year and the next two years? That is very possible, considering the West is full contenders like the Mavs (deeper, younger, and more talented), Spurs (more experienced and way better defense), and Lakers (so much younger and much better coached).

What about the Jazz and Rockets? What about the Heat, Cavs, Magic, and Pistons? There are too many good teams out there!

Do you really want Nash's legacy to become a 3-time MVP who's never played in the Finals?

Remember how sad it was for Barkely in 93 or Malone in 97 (winning the MVP but not the championship)? But at least they had a great excuse called "losing in the Finals to MJ".

I know you will say that the MVP is a regular-season award. That's true, but the winner has always been expected to justify his award by delivering in the playoff. He needs to show the whole world that his game is not just made for the regular season, it's made for the games that actually count!

In a perfect world, Nash wins a 3rd MVP, and the Suns win the championship this and next year. Steve then retires as the best point guard since Magic. But we don't live a perfect world.

In this realistic world, Nash can win a 3rd MVP, but the Suns can lose to the Mavs in the West final. And when that happens, Steve Nash will go down as the biggest "playoff choker" in the history of the game. And that, my friends (Suns fans), is not something you want for the great Steve Nash, who I really like and cheer for.

Lastly, I will leave you with this thought: A Steve Nash with 2 MVPs and 0 ring is better than a Steve Nash with 3 and 0.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:56 AM   #80
Cavsfan
Banned

Nash is a great player. However, something is being grossly overlooked. How many NBA teams have actually gotten significantly better when a mvp player has left the team? This is the case of the Dallas Mavericks. Dallas has improved since the departure of Nash. How can that be when we are talking about a guy who has won 2 MVP awards! Let's put this in context with previous MVP's who left their teams! Chamberlain left Philly and immediately they were not title contenders. Lew Alcindor left the Bucks and they immediately became an average team. Shaq left L.A. and went to Miami and won a championship.

Also, by the way; when Jabbar went to L.A. he won five more rings and chamberlain won 33 straight games and a another ring the same year. I believe Nash is the only player to have more than one MVP and never even played in the championship series! And they are talking about giving him another one! Kope has 3 rings and no MVP'S - that is interesting. The bottom line used to be winning rings until Nash came along and has basically reproduced Jason Kidd and John Stockton. Both of who have no MVP'S and have at least been to the Finals! Steve Nash can be given a million rings, but knowledgeable fans will simply put him in his proper NBA place. Your saw what happen when that MVP left Chicago for 2 years. They didn't get better like Dallas has since Nash left. Did L.A. get better when MVP Johnson retire? Did Boston get better when that MVP Russell retired?

And all of these guys played defense as well!! Maybe this latest MVP voting philosophy is good for the well being of the NBA. It certainly isn't for objectivity.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #81
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

I agree with CavsFan. Nash isn't the GOAT, but definitely is the best player today.

Good find man. At first I thought you were bashing Nash.

Last edited by i seen hippos : 04-21-2007 at 08:37 AM.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #82
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
Put any 2 other all stars around Amare and you have team success. It actually seems like without AMare Nash wouldnt have any MVP's. Whether it was Amare dominating in 2005 or him being hurt and giving Nash the overcoming AMare excuse.

Quote:

Interviewer: How do you feel about Marion saying "Shawn Marion is the MVP, Shawn Marion deserves MVP, DPOY, and Finals MVP, even if Shawn Marion doesn't play in the finals! Steve sucks"?

*Nash smug smirk*

Nash: Whatever, i'm sorry he feels that way *bigger smirk*, he can think that is he wants.

Its a "I don't care who says Dirk is MVP, i'm better than them all, they're opinions don't matter because i'm better" arrogance.

bs

keep hatin Nash

you cant take anythign away from him
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #83
and1
High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
I don't know what Amare is talking about, Kobe doesn't deserve any consideration for MVP because his team is way down the rung. They barely made the playoffs, does that warrant MVP talk for him? Com'on, that's disgusting.

Amare should be thankful for the team success he has received because of Steve Nash. Sure, Amare's a great individual player, but he wouldn't have any team success without Nash.

umm yes, but without kobe they probably would be one of the worst team in the west or the worst... thats what makes him valuable
and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #84
JtotheIzzo
OOOHWEE Cleveland!!!

Cavsfan = Baller1986
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #85
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
I agree with CavsFan. Nash isn't the GOAT, but definitely is the best player today.
Good find man. At first I thought you were bashing Nash.

winning most valuable player and being the best player is totally different....
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: