Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 09:01 PM   #31
No.45
Triangle Defense

No.45 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Round 1: Raptors vs. Nets Official Thread For Game 2

Sam Mitchell ain't no red auerbach, cut him some slack. Nobody was playing their game today. I would blame graham not mitchell- its graham fault for not doing his job.

in the end the raptors got killed by Jersey's fast break
Old 04-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #32
Jerz Netz
Local High School Star

Jerz Netz has an OK reputation so far

great team win. With VC's not on top of his game others stepped up big time. Rj was ballin like the old RJ and Kidd was dishing like vintage kidd.

1-0 baby lets keep it rolling. I see Rasho's Roosters have quited down just a little. :)

KNOCK EM OUT NACHBAR!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #33
Yaosonegoodear
Banned

Yaosonegoodear has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three

Thank you Mr. Irrelevant. This might pertain to me if I had said Carter had a good game.
My point is this, had the Raptors managed to pull out the win (which they had a shot to do) who's bad game would you be talking about... Bosh or Carter?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #34
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.45
Sam Mitchell ain't no red auerbach, cut him some slack. Nobody was playing their game today. I would blame graham not mitchell- its graham fault for not doing his job.

in the end the raptors got killed by Jersey's fast break

It's Sam Mitchell's fault for putting Joey Graham in a position where he isn't capable of performing to proper standards. Joey Graham obviously tries his best, he just sucks and can't do any better, atleast I don't think he can.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #35
No.45
Triangle Defense

No.45 has an OK reputation so far

Graham has the athletic prowess to outperform anybody. He wasn't playing aggresive which sam mitchell wanted him to do- graham would be dangerous. I don't agree with him settling for jumpshots when he's a bricklayer.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #36
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.45
Graham has the athletic prowess to outperform anybody. He wasn't playing aggresive which sam mitchell wanted him to do- graham would be dangerous. I don't agree with him settling for jumpshots when he's a bricklayer.

He has the athletic prowess, yet lacks the brain. He has to settle for jumpshots because he can't dribble, and has no rhythm to his game. He doesn't do anything smart defensively, and constantly looks dumb on that side of the ball. Mitchell needs to realize this and not play him 35 minutes, because if he does he puts the team at a serious disadvantage.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #37
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Joey Graham has no bball IQ, is lazy on D and other than a mid-range jumper has very little offensive game.

He's a very limited player and yet is asked to play 35 minutes vs star players like Jefferson and Carter. It is Mitchell's fault since there is a player on the bench who does nearly everything better and isn't seeing any playing time.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #38
rknine15
Buckets Baby

rknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat cool

The Nets pumping them selfs up
Old 04-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #39
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Last time I checked,

A good coach doesn't play your best interior defender 18 minutes in the biggest game of the season, especially after he grabbed 10 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 block in that time.

Nice, using stats to justify anything. RJ, Kidd, Boki were burning you. By going small the Nets were running you out of the gym. Perhaps thats why Rasho was getting so many rebounds, because we were small. Rasho wasn't working because RJ got out on the break for open dunks and easy layups. That's why he was out of the game. Perhaps watching the game instead of watching the box scores will help.

Quote:
A good coach doesn't play your 9th man 35 minutes in the most important game of the season.

Well Carter had a bad game up to the 4th quarter so I don't think Graham was that bad of a liability. It wasn't as of Mo, Dixon were standing out in their time out there.

Quote:
A good coach doesn't play your 9th man 35 minutes when he's shown he's completely clueless and incapable of producing positively for the team.

Redundant. See above.

Quote:
A good coach knows how to manage his two very good point guards, and would realize that the one is keeping his team close, and the other is struggling. Instead, our "coach" benches our hot point guard and plays the one who is struggling in crunch time.

Were you watching the game at all? Calderon was hot in the fourth. He was leading that 10-0 fourth quarter run with his threes and dribble penetration. He made one bad play, which wasn't Mitchell's fault. Everything bad that happens on the court isn't always and only Mitchell's fault. You can't blame him if Calderon throws a bad pass. You're just so incredibly biased to only see that Sam is a bad coach you neglect that these players bare responsibility.

Quote:
A good coach would realize that Morris Peterson can be a crucial piece for a playoff run for this team, and would not ignore him by only playing him 6 minutes when he can do a reasonable job covering Richard Jefferson while Anthony Parker covers Vince Carter.

No, a good coach would go with the players he trusted all year, which was Graham. Not throw in a random cog that is a wild card. You go with who you trust. Whether Morris Peterson would do well out there is only speculative. The fact that the Raptors lost is why you're saying this. By the same token, if the Nets lost I could blame Frank for not giving Cliff Robinson minutes. It doesn't work that way. You cannot blame him for not playing a guy he hasn't all season.

Quote:
A good coach would also realize that Peterson is good friends with Carter, and would very likely be extremely motivated to cover and shut down his friend if he is chosen to guard him instead of Jefferson..

Hah! That doesn't mean anything and that's not a reason to play anyone. If Graham was best friend's with Carter would you still use this logic? Probably not. I bet you'd probably say something along the lines of "A good coach wouldn't play someone just cause he's best friends with another person." You're full of it.

Quote:
A good coach knows how to run end game plays that don't involve the words 'We just looked at TJ and said "Make something happen"'

I'm sure there was more involved than what you said. You tend to block out the most important parts.

Quote:
A good coach knows how to manage minutes effectively in order to get the most out of his team. A good coach realizes that in order to go deep in the playoffs you have to ride your best players as far as they can take you. A good coach realizes that Joey Graham is not your best player.

Link me to where Mitchell said that Graham was the best player on the Raptors. I must have missed that.

Quote:
A good coach knows how to run an effective play out of a timeout when the team is struggling. A good coach would have a play that they can go to when his team is in a drought, a play that they deem to be extremely effective.

Mitchell doesn't execute out there. The players do. Sometimes it is the coaches fault, but if there is a problem in the team execution, most of the time it's the players fault. What I saw today wasn't a result of bad coaching. He took the right timeouts, but his players seemed to be lost out their on their own. I hardly think Sam told Bosh to go get bad fouls. I hardly think that he told Bargnani to totally look lost and take bad shots. Those are the players' fault. You faulting Mitchell is only saying that your players cannot think and act for themselves, that they must be guided like children.

Quote:
Shall I continue? In no way is this loss on Bosh, it's on Mitchell 100%, brutal display.

You can continue, but you'd continue to be wrong. Mitchell is not responsible if his players cannot play well. That's their job. You blaming him is the easy route. There are times I blame a coach for losing games. Bill Self is notorious for being outclassed in big games. I don't think Sam did a horrible job out there. I think the players' inexperience just showed down the stretch. They didn't trust each other and each of them tried to play hero with little avail. Sam can tell them to calm down and to just play their game, but it's up to them whether they believe it out there. You can be the greatest coach in the world but if the players just cannot do what their coach asks then there is nothing you can do.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #40
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

whoa just woke up and I see this Great job Nets nice game by kidd, hopefully Carter can rebound and RJ and Boki continue to play well.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #41
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Nice, using stats to justify anything. RJ, Kidd, Boki were burning you. By going small the Nets were running you out of the gym. Perhaps thats why Rasho was getting so many rebounds, because we were small. Rasho wasn't working because RJ got out on the break for open dunks and easy layups. That's why he was out of the game. Perhaps watching the game instead of watching the box scores will help.

How else can I justify his impact to people who never watch him play? You can ask practically any knowledgeable Raptor fan and they'll tell you that we are a much better team with Rasho on the floor when he's effective then with Rasho off the floor.

It doesn't matter who was on the floor for New Jersey, it's about putting out the team that will give you the best chance to win, Rasho gives us the best chance to win.

Quote:
Well Carter had a bad game up to the 4th quarter so I don't think Graham was that bad of a liability. It wasn't as of Mo, Dixon were standing out in their time out there.

Graham is an awful defender, the fact that you don't think he's a liability almost kills any respect your opinion has. Morris Peterson played 6 minutes, he should be playing 35 minutes, but clearly our coach has some problem with playing our best.

Quote:
Redundant. See above.

He sucks, watch a few more Raptor games and then try and tell me he doesn't suck.

Quote:
Were you watching the game at all? Calderon was hot in the fourth. He was leading that 10-0 fourth quarter run with his threes and dribble penetration. He made one bad play, which wasn't Mitchell's fault. Everything bad that happens on the court isn't always and only Mitchell's fault. You can't blame him if Calderon throws a bad pass. You're just so incredibly biased to only see that Sam is a bad coach you neglect that these players bare responsibility.

We have two great point guards, TJ Ford had a very good game, much better then Calderon today, you don't sit your best on the bench during crunch time, you just don't.

Quote:
No, a good coach would go with the players he trusted all year, which was Graham. Not throw in a random cog that is a wild card. You go with who you trust. Whether Morris Peterson would do well out there is only speculative. The fact that the Raptors lost is why you're saying this. By the same token, if the Nets lost I could blame Frank for not giving Cliff Robinson minutes. It doesn't work that way. You cannot blame him for not playing a guy he hasn't all season.

It's tough to give an opinion on a team you clearly haven't watched closely all season, save a few Nets games. Morris Peterson played alot of minutes this season, but at the very end his minutes disappeared. Joey Graham has done nothing to deserve the rapid minutes increase. Mitchell hasn't trusted Graham all season but I can't blame you for not knowing this. Morris Peterson has been vastly superior to Joey Graham in nearly every aspect of the game this season.

Quote:
Hah! That doesn't mean anything and that's not a reason to play anyone. If Graham was best friend's with Carter would you still use this logic? Probably not. I bet you'd probably say something along the lines of "A good coach wouldn't play someone just cause he's best friends with another person." You're full of it.

The only reason I say this is because I can't think of any reason why we would bench Peterson. The only thing that it must be would be a lack of motivation to perform, which I still don't believe. You are lacking knowledge in a lot of your comments, petty insults at me are not necessary.

Quote:
I'm sure there was more involved than what you said. You tend to block out the most important parts.

There was nothing more involved then what I quoted, it was from one of the late games in the season, Mitchell was interviewed and his quote, paraphrased, was that he was going to give the ball to TJ in the end game and let him "Make a play". You can think I'm full of it, but I'm dead on with my comments, not leaving out anything.

Quote:
Link me to where Mitchell said that Graham was the best player on the Raptors. I must have missed that.

You are obviously nit picking, you can tell in the sentence prior that I said you must ride your "best players". The sentence following meant that Graham isn't one of our best players. But like I said, if you lack knowledge on the subject, you don't look smart unless you nit pick.

Quote:
Mitchell doesn't execute out there. The players do. Sometimes it is the coaches fault, but if there is a problem in the team execution, most of the time it's the players fault. What I saw today wasn't a result of bad coaching. He took the right timeouts, but his players seemed to be lost out their on their own. I hardly think Sam told Bosh to go get bad fouls. I hardly think that he told Bargnani to totally look lost and take bad shots. Those are the players' fault. You faulting Mitchell is only saying that your players cannot think and act for themselves, that they must be guided like children.

Players need guidance, they need structure, Mitchell gives them neither. Mitchell has to put his players in a situation where they can perform and execute, he routinely does neither. It's up to the players to perform, but they can't perform when they are on the bench (TJ Ford, Morris Peterson, Rasho Nesterovic).

Quote:
You can continue, but you'd continue to be wrong. Mitchell is not responsible if his players cannot play well. That's their job. You blaming him is the easy route. There are times I blame a coach for losing games. Bill Self is notorious for being outclassed in big games. I don't think Sam did a horrible job out there. I think the players' inexperience just showed down the stretch. They didn't trust each other and each of them tried to play hero with little avail. Sam can tell them to calm down and to just play their game, but it's up to them whether they believe it out there. You can be the greatest coach in the world but if the players just cannot do what their coach asks then there is nothing you can do.

I'm not wrong, I'm very correct. Mitchell is responsible for playing the players who are playing well, today, he benched those players. Mitchell is responsible for putting his players in a position to succeed, today, he did not. You don't have to be the greatest coach, but players need some stability and structure. They need some plays that they can run and feel confident in when they are rattled, Mitchell provides none of this, he's a motivator and a motivator only.

Please don't respond to this, I found most of your responses to be lacking knowledge on the Raptors, which is obviously understandable considering you aren't a fan of the team.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #42
ThaKid
King

ThaKid has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
whoa just woke up and I see this Great job Nets nice game by kidd, hopefully Carter can rebound and RJ and Boki continue to play well.
WTF?!?!? u didnt even watch the game???
Old 04-21-2007, 10:05 PM   #43
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Please don't respond to this, I found most of your responses to be lacking knowledge on the Raptors, which is obviously understandable considering you aren't a fan of the team.
Pretty much Wang. You are trying to rationalize completely illogical decisions about a team you clearly haven't watched.
As Pete stated:
Quote:
Morris Peterson has been vastly superior to Joey Graham in nearly every aspect of the game this season.

And the thing about the late game play calling is true, those were Mitchell's exact words in a post game press conference after a loss @ Miami I believe. Also if you watched any Raptors games that were close late in the 4th quarter, you'd notice that the exact same play is run every time (and it hasn't worked all that often).
Old 04-21-2007, 10:20 PM   #44
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaKid
WTF?!?!? u didnt even watch the game???
sorry guys hehehe first of I played magic all day long yesterday and slept for like 12 hours next they didnt show the nets game here, then they showed the Chi-Miami game at 3am and right now there showing the orlando rape game
Old 04-21-2007, 10:31 PM   #45
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

I feel honored that Jeff has put the first game thread into the Nets forum
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Closed Thread