Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 04-22-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Frazier Mentoring Collins?

NEW YORK POST

By MARC BERMAN

MENTORYING PROGRAM: Clyde Frazier said he would like to work with Mardy Collins (shown) because he sees some of his style of play in the Knicks' rookie.
April 21, 2007 -- Former Knicks great Walt Frazier will ask Isiah Thomas if he can work with rookie guard Marty Collins this offseason, The Post has learned.

Frazier said he wants the chance to work with Collins for a few days this spring because he sees himself in the 6-foot-6 rookie - a tall, tough-defending guard with deceptive quickness and a cool demeanor, but sans a jump shot. Frazier, now a Knicks broadcaster, developed a perimeter game after a few seasons.

"I'm going to ask Isiah because there's a few things I can show him," Frazier told The Post on Wednesday in Charlotte, N.C. "Once you get in the paint, control your body. Things very simple that he's not thinking about."

Frazier's desire to work with Collins is unprecedented. Frazier has stayed away from coaching and never attends practice.

Collins said he remembers two years ago after a Temple-Duke game Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski told the media Collins reminded him of Frazier.

"He's a legend," Collins said of Frazier. "I'd definitely be interested in working with him."

Frazier, who played for the Knicks from 1967-77, said he would like to work with Collins on his offensive play around the basket.

"When he gets in the paint, the move he has to develop is the one I had, the head-and-shoulder fake, he doesn't have," Frazier said. "He makes the move and shoots right way. He needs to give (the defense) a little deception once he stops."

Collins' emergence was a silver lining to the final two weeks of the Knicks' season. Thomas has changed his view on Collins and looks at him as next season's backup point guard, which could force Nate Robinson further down the bench. Collins started the last nine games, averaging 15.0 points. 6.6 rebounds and 6.2 assists.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: