Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 04-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Knicks after Jermaine O Neal?

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Frank Isola

CHARLOTTE - Isiah Thomas wasn't about to let the season expire last night without making one more case that injuries ultimately ruined the Knicks' playoff bid.

"I think it's pretty safe to say had we not been so decimated, things would be different tonight," Thomas said. "But that being said, we would like to have had a better finish. I feel pretty comfortable and confident in saying that, had we not been hit by the injuries the way we'd been hit, I think it's safe to say we would have squeezed out at least six-to-seven more wins and we'd be sitting in a totally different position."

Instead, the Knicks concluded the 2006-07 season with a 94-93 victory over the Bobcats that prevented them from losing 50 games while decreasing the chances that the Chicago Bulls, who own the Knicks' lottery pick, will end up with the top pick in the June draft.

The Knicks (33-49) were 29-34 and in eighth place on March10 after Steve Francis beat the Washington Wizards with a last-second three-pointer. Two days later, Garden chairman James Dolan gave Thomas a contract extension, and the Knicks then proceeded to lose 15 of their last 19 games.

They also went much of the final six weeks without Jamal Crawford, Quentin Richardson and David Lee. Overall, Crawford missed 23 games, Richardson 33, Lee 24 and Stephon Marbury eight.

"Everybody was gone," Thomas said. "That was a big blow."

Dolan has also pointed to injuries as the main reason for the Knicks failing to reach the playoffs for the fifth time in six years. Coincidentally, neither Thomas nor Dolan blamed injuries for last season's 23-win team. Instead, they just blamed coach Larry Brown, even though Marbury missed 22 games, Richardson 27, Channing Frye 17 and Eddy Curry 10.

"You've got to have some things work for you, health being the key thing," Thomas said. "The last time the Knicks (played for) a championship, (Patrick) Ewing was hurt. If Ewing's playing...you deal with it."

Thomas has talked about winning a title in New York since the day he arrived, but his team has had just one playoff berth, in 2004, when the Knicks were swept by the Nets in four games. If healthy, the Knicks arguably could have been a playoff team, but they'd still be far from championship caliber. Last night, Thomas admitted that the Knicks have to get better.

"Oh yeah," he said. "(Heck) yeah. Until you put the ring on the finger, that's what it's all about. I do understand it takes time to get to that level."

Thomas will look to upgrade the roster during the offseason, with Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal his likely target. Unlike last summer, when the only significant move Thomas made was the free-agent signing of Jared Jeffries, the Knicks president figures to be more active this summer. Francis, Frye and Nate Robinson are prime candidates to be moved. In order to make a significant move, Thomas may have to part with Crawford and/or Lee.

Still, Thomas said he is encouraged by the development of some of the younger players, including Mardy Collins, and believes the Knicks are starting to establish the right team culture.

"I have a great understanding of where we are," he said. "Regarding injuries and everything else, I like what we have and I like the direction we're headed in. At the end of this season there will be only one winner and 29 losers. We'll be one of the 29."
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

brooklynchild155 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Knicks after Jermaine O Neal?

to me the knicks dont need jermaine oneal. i do think they need to get rid of some people but they dont need jermaine oneal.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Don Che
I hit open 5-footers

Don Che has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynchild155
to me the knicks dont need jermaine oneal. i do think they need to get rid of some people but they dont need jermaine oneal.

COMPLETELY AGREE
We need a MOBILE forword that blocks shots runs the floorand can hit free throws that knows how to pass.

We have players that we MUST get rid of to move in the right direction and use them to get the forword we need.

Knicks should trade:
Jamal Crawford- Trigger happy,No D, Mardy with a jump shot fits better with Marbury.

Nate Robinson- Same as Crawford, If we draft a 2 we dont need him.

Channing Frye- IF Curry is the franchise we need a player that goes with him, Frye doesnt and doesnt have a defensive mind state and needs the ball to be productive.

Jared Jeffries- Kid sucks and Balkman is much better but I dont mind him jus sitting on the bench

Francis- Must I explain why cancer is bad for the body.

Judging by what we need, I think Andrei Kerilinko fits the bill.
Andrei and Q- Rich would work
Andrei and Lee- Would work beutiful if Lee gets a Jumpshot

Utah would give him up if we can give them a 2 guard that can score.
Refer back to Crawford.

Jamal Crawford
Channing Frye
Nate Robinson

For

Andrei Kerilinko
1st Round Draft Pick

Money fits and we both get what we want.
Don Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Che
COMPLETELY AGREE
We need a MOBILE forword that blocks shots runs the floorand can hit free throws that knows how to pass.

We have players that we MUST get rid of to move in the right direction and use them to get the forword we need.

Knicks should trade:
Jamal Crawford- Trigger happy,No D, Mardy with a jump shot fits better with Marbury.

Nate Robinson- Same as Crawford, If we draft a 2 we dont need him.

Channing Frye- IF Curry is the franchise we need a player that goes with him, Frye doesnt and doesnt have a defensive mind state and needs the ball to be productive.

Jared Jeffries- Kid sucks and Balkman is much better but I dont mind him jus sitting on the bench

Francis- Must I explain why cancer is bad for the body.

Judging by what we need, I think Andrei Kerilinko fits the bill.
Andrei and Q- Rich would work
Andrei and Lee- Would work beutiful if Lee gets a Jumpshot

Utah would give him up if we can give them a 2 guard that can score.
Refer back to Crawford.

Jamal Crawford
Channing Frye
Nate Robinson

For

Andrei Kerilinko
1st Round Draft Pick

Money fits and we both get what we want.

well i posted a proposal on the jazz forums of jamal, frye, nate for kirilenko only and it was not taken seriously. though they might be unrealistic on aks value, i kind of agree that nate and crawford wouldnt really fit their system
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
Don Che
I hit open 5-footers

Right now they dont...but in time they definatley could.
They are both young and can learn from Jerry Sloan.

The Jazz play team ball and thats where they can excel
The Knicks give the ball to Curry first and pass out of it.
Jamal and Nate can't excel in that system.

ALSO..
The Jazz have an identity u know...Boozer, Deron, Okur,Harpring are all on the same page. Jamal and Nate will have no choice but to adapt.

The knicks are in search of an identity u know, AK could help us find one.

I'm sure they would take it. Utah would give him up for nothin drastic. And I think Frye and Crawford could help them in the playoffs now and give a great rotation of big men with Okur, Boozer, and Frye.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

I wanted Jermain O'neil in a Knick uniform not as much as i want KG but second most.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
TheOakman
I hit open layups

TheOakman has an OK reputation so far

I believe that the Knicks do have a good chance at getting Jermaine O'Neal.

Getting O'Neal would pose some interesting scenarios. Would Lee play the three now or more likely remain the 6th man. In which case that pretty moves Balkman pretty far down the rotation or to another team.

As far as Utah, I can see them taking Frye and maybe Crawford, but I don't see them wasting their time with Nate Robinson. They play team oriented basketball, where distributing the pall and moving the ball is key. Robinson is a shoot first point guard who likes to put up shots. I don't think the Jazz would waste their time when they already have some good guards.
TheOakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:41 PM   #8
Don Che
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOakman
I believe that the Knicks do have a good chance at getting Jermaine O'Neal.

Getting O'Neal would pose some interesting scenarios. Would Lee play the three now or more likely remain the 6th man. In which case that pretty moves Balkman pretty far down the rotation or to another team.

As far as Utah, I can see them taking Frye and maybe Crawford, but I don't see them wasting their time with Nate Robinson. They play team oriented basketball, where distributing the pall and moving the ball is key. Robinson is a shoot first point guard who likes to put up shots. I don't think the Jazz would waste their time when they already have some good guards.

Good point about Utah and Nate.

But i disagree with JO..the guy needs the ball. And we need Curry to be that guy. JO would hinder his growth. We need to acquire a player that helps Curry prosper not hinder.

Id rather have AK47 or someone like that.
Most great big men had mobile 4's to help him carry the load of quick defense.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:59 PM   #9
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

with the way AK broke down during interviews today (supposedly he was very distraught, maybe even cryin) looks like they have to move him. hopefully isiah can get somethin done
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:29 AM   #10
jjswifty

jjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation here

If Isiah gives up more pics...I swear...

Anyways, JO is damaged goods. He has broken down for the past 3 year. I believe 3 years ago he played only 44 games because of the knee, 2years he missed 8 weeks with the same knee, and last year same thing throughout the year, but he played through it b/c he wanted to make the playoffs. Plus hes having surgery this offseason as well. I would be angry if this was another Mcdyess.

Plus, do you honestly think the Knicks have the goods to make a push deep in the playoffs with JO?
jjswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #11
TheOakman
I hit open layups

TheOakman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Che
But i disagree with JO..the guy needs the ball. And we need Curry to be that guy. JO would hinder his growth. We need to acquire a player that helps Curry prosper not hinder.

I think that Thomas has a good chance of getting and him and really wants to get him, because he thinks JO is his guy. But I agree with you that I am not sold on this being the right move for the team.

I also agree with JJ about his injuries. The last three years he has played 69, 51, and 44 games respectfully, and knee issues don't just go away. After listening to Zeke try to hoodwink us into believing that it was all the injuries fault this year, why would we want to go out and take a risk on a guy that has not been completely healthy in three years?
TheOakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 AM   #12
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

bigdaddybluesman has an OK reputation so far

O'Neal is not coming to the Knicks.

What Zeke has to do is figure out a way for both Frye and Curry to coexist.

They both have 20-10 potential and need a system so that both of them can work together and be successful.

We have a young talented team and do not need anybody. With O'Neal we will have the same problem, there is only one ball.

We have to keep this core together and just keep adding young talent.

We need to get rid of the cancer on this team.

We need to get rid of one dimensional players who don't play defense.

We need someone who has a consistent outside shot and can start. That means either a SG or SF.

O'Neal will not help this team, instead of 33 wins we will have 38 wins. He doesn't solve the problems on this team he feeds into them.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #13
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

O'neil For Jeffries, Crawford and Frye.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is a pretty well-respected posterBlue&Orange is a pretty well-respected posterBlue&Orange is a pretty well-respected posterBlue&Orange is a pretty well-respected poster

Francis, Nate and Frye for O'Neal. Indiana gets a young PF, a young PG/SG and still remains with a large contract, that will let them acquire good talent when it expires.

Knicks would have a sweet rotation in the Frontcourt, Curry, O'Neal and Lee, Curry rests, enter Quentin, and we still be strong, O'Neal, Lee, Quentin... with Balkman and Morris getting some minutes so that everybody can rest.

In the backcourt another sweet rotation, Marbury, Crawford, Collins and Quentin could here and there do the SG...

This would be more than just a playoff team, if they were all healthy... and i think the trade Indiana did with the Warriors was far worse then this one... so it's not far feched, if Indiana goes for rebuild mode.

Then trade Jeffries for a second round pick, take some crappy player contract, if the other team insists and if it's shorter then Jeffries contract...

I got no solution for James :rollingeyes:
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #15
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

This trade needs to happen. O'Neal could guard the opposing team big, rebound, block shots, and plays the high post. In theory..... doesn't that sound like the perfect compliment to Curry? Not to mention that he gets along with Isiah. However, the reason why he's available for a decent deal is because he's so injury prone.

If we could get him for:

Crawford
Frye
Nate
Filler

for

O'Neal

Then do it by all means. The reward is well worth the risk and this would only shorten our lineup even more. Maybe Francis can be involved to get rid of Dunleavy's contract.

BTW, this is hypothetical of course, but we could probably trade Francis for Mike James and Ricky Davis. And if the wolves accept that to get rid of James' contract and to give foye more time our lineup could look like this.

PG:Marbury/Mike James
SG:Collins/Draft
SF:Q-Rich/Ricky Davis
PF:O'Neal/Lee
C: Curry/Rose

Dunno if we would to add two more players who are considered selfish, but that team looks pretty good.

Last edited by ALBballer : 04-23-2007 at 06:03 PM.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: