Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-22-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
fatlever
Banned

fatlever has an OK reputation so far
Default Can A Person, With Merit, Hate Odom, While Still Liking Kobe?

I just don't see how you can hate on Odom when he's the perfect teammate. He's tremendously skilled, unslefish, and doesn't have an agenda to prove.

But if one choses to dislike him, then that's their issue...I just don't see how you can justifiably "hate" Odom while liking Kobe. I mean, they are the polar opposites. Sure Kobe is more skilled, but I would say he's more flawed, too.

Sh*t, I'd take him in Cleveland in a heartbeat. He would flourish playing with LeBron. But that's just my opinion, tho. I saw that GeeWhiz thread and I just had to offer this in retort.

Last edited by fatlever : 04-22-2007 at 08:37 PM.
fatlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can A Person, With Merit, Hate Odom, While Still Liking Kobe?

i also dont understand the Odom hate. he could be more agressive sometimes, but with kobe on the team you need team players.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Im sick of the Odom hate too. He wouldnt flourish in Cleveland more than he is on Lakers though. Lebron needs the ball more than Kobe does.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far

my one knock on him is that he does not seem to be able to take over offensively when Kobe is resting, or doubled, or otherwise in need of scoring help. That's just not his game...he is more all-around.
Nonetheless, the Lakers need that 2nd scorer in the clutch.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
CristianoVirtuos
Banned

CristianoVirtuos has an OK reputation so far

I've already explained my reasons.

Yes, Odom is a ton more likeable than Kobe especially if you already dislike Kobe. But yeah, he is one of the most likeable players in the league.

The reason I hate him is because I feel he's the biggest problem with the Lakers. That's all.
I definitely disagree with the observation that you only need team players around Kobe. That's bull. That way you"ll never win anything, it's like saying, yeah the guy is selfish, get him team players and see where he goes. I think that's a ton of bull.

To some degree everyone need to play team bball but what Kobe needs is exactly the opposite of Odom IMO. He needs a guy that will demand the ball, be agressive and demand attention from defense. That way Kobe would get easier shots and wouldn't have to do this much.

I have an opinion on Odom that he's very overrated, a tweener...and as we all well know, you hardly ever win with those, that's why scouts always avoid them on the draft day. Odom also isn't a good triangle fit to me.
The chemistry between him and Kobe was never there.
I just feel Odom is completely wrong for the Lakers. They need a different type of a player, completely different type.
Besides that, he's overpaid, has a low bball IQ etc...

But you can't question his talent and some skills he has. He could be a top 20 player.

Yet it seems like it's that selfless mentality that's keeping him down.

In order to be great, you not only have to be great. You have to seek that greatness. Odom doesn't have that within him.

Chemistry is very important to me and no matter how team oriented Odom is, he just doesn't fit here.
Him and Kobe are a bad couple.

I just wish they ended it already. Odom needs to be gone.

Those are my reasons for hating Odom. If I weren't a Laker fan, who knows, maybe I'd like him...but this way, he's like #1 on my trade list.

I want him gone at any cost.

What's interesting is that Laker fans always defend him with 2 arguments.

1. He's not a 2nd option btu he'd be a great 3rd option
2. Defense is our problem not offense...

Ummm, oxymorons?

As you can see, there's a very little chance of getting that 2nd option player wthout trading Odom.

And defense....Odom is the PF. Interior is where every good team defense start.

But Laker fans use their PG's as scapegoats there. 3 years before it was Chucky, not it's Smush. While both are horrible, Chucky was a starter on two great defensive teams...Pistons and Grizzlies, I think one of those teams was actually the best defensive team in the league.

Now, if Odom was Mike Bibby, I mean a PG, that defense argument would be valid. But he's a PF. I don't see that defense improving much unless we get a defensive PF.

PG's simply don't affect defense as much as PF's.

And as for the JO argument...that I find ridiculous. Some Laker fans say JO would only marginally improve them...
While the dude was 4th best defender in the league this year statistically only behind 3 players that are on great defensive teams, Duncan, Bowen and Battier.

So really, he's wrong.

I can't hate Odom the person because I feel sorry for him. But I feel he's hurting my team.
CristianoVirtuos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

^Why you banned again?
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
Lakerfan1-Iceland
Kids at the park dunk on me

Lakerfan1-Iceland has an OK reputation so far

I like Kobe and frankly newer have understanded why so many people SERIUSLY dislike him aside from the media hype around him once cause people tend to get annoed when the media hypes players like that up.
But the guy is probably the hardest worker in the nba.

My knock on Odom is i feel he could be SO MUCH better. Im sure he is a nice guy and all, i actually think Kobe is a nice guy as well, just simply his freinds friend. But Odom has all the basketball talent in the world but he just doesnt work hard enough on his game cause if he did he would be among the all time greats.
Lakerfan1-Iceland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I definitely disagree with the observation that you only need team players around Kobe. That's bull. That way you"ll never win anything, it's like saying, yeah the guy is selfish, get him team players and see where he goes. I think that's a ton of bull.

just to clarify what i said, i didnt say kobe needs exclusively team players around him, but every team could use a guy like odom, not just the lakers. an unselfish, super crazy talented 6'11 guy that rebounds and plays D. good teams always have good team players.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Wait, what? The original post doesn't make sense.

It asks how it's possible to hate Odom and like Kobe when they're polar opposites. That IS the reason why it's possible. Because they're polar opposites. Going by your logic, that is.

Am I missing something?
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #10
jn2rons

jn2rons has an OK reputation so far

The hate comes from the fact that he's a bigger tease than any Jailbait 16 or 17y old with the body of a goddess

He'll go for 23/16/9 one day.... and follow it up with a 9/7/2 game with 5TO's and 5 fouls.

Then he'll go out and throw up 3/16/11.... and follow it up with a 24/19/4 game, and an 8/8/5 game.

He is an enigma!! He's got ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the skills in the world. Definitely enough to be a top 12-15 talent. But he disappears when you need him most.

He doesn't finish at the rim, he has no right...at all, and he plays marginal defense at best. His handles are not necessary if he's going to play PF....so why does he pound the rock so much? They ought to just let him play SF then! He's made absofuQinlutely no progress in his game from his rookie year. Being a Clipps fan, I was jockin dude pretty hard, knowing how unbelievable his game was. As a rook he put up 17/8/4.....this past season? 16/10/5.

On top of all that, he gets paid 13-14mil, and it appears that the Lakes have NO desire to move him
jn2rons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn2rons
The hate comes from the fact that he's a bigger tease than any Jailbait 16 or 17y old with the body of a goddess

LOL! Man, thats harsh! I am glad I don't have any daughters!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:29 PM   #12
jn2rons

jn2rons has an OK reputation so far

So you're saying I'm right!!

And I'm not even a Lakers fan
jn2rons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:34 PM   #13
Yaosonegoodear
Banned

Yaosonegoodear has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
Im sick of the Odom hate too. He wouldnt flourish in Cleveland more than he is on Lakers though. Lebron needs the ball more than Kobe does.
Oh yes he would. Odom in LA is under-utilized and were he to play side by side with Lebron, he would definitely be given more of an opportunity because Lebron is an unselfish player.
Yaosonegoodear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:59 PM   #14
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

He's probably a good guy and teammate, but how does that make him a good basketball player? He's a ***** to put it short and sweet. He has never played up to his capabilities. He misses makes marvelous spin moves, then misses layups as a 6'11 SF / PF ?!?! Are you serious? He has no sack to speak of. He doesn't have a mental edge. If anything he's a third option at best, and has continually shown this over the course of his career. He's inconsistent as they come. Which is the worst attribute in a person or athlete. You don't know who is going to show up and when. He can't play a lick of defense. People pipe him up and say he's versatile. He is versatile, but he really can't do all things well. It's like he's almost a point forward, but not quite. He has mental lapses on the court, and I could just go on and on. He just doesn't have any chemistry with Kobe, and the Lakers would be better served to dump him for a more fitting piece to the puzzle.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 AM   #15
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn2rons

He'll go for 23/16/9 one day.... and follow it up with a 9/7/2 game with 5TO's and 5 fouls.

Then he'll go out and throw up 3/16/11.... and follow it up with a 24/19/4 game, and an 8/8/5 game.

He is an enigma!! He's got ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the skills in the world. Definitely enough to be a top 12-15 talent. But he disappears when you need him most.

He doesn't finish at the rim, he has no right...at all, and he plays marginal defense at best. His handles are not necessary if he's going to play PF....so why does he pound the rock so much? They ought to just let him play SF then! He's made absofuQinlutely no progress in his game from his rookie year. Being a Clipps fan, I was jockin dude pretty hard, knowing how unbelievable his game was. As a rook he put up 17/8/4.....this past season? 16/10/5.

On top of all that, he gets paid 13-14mil, and it appears that the Lakes have NO desire to move him
Jesus Christ. A + for you sir. This dude understand Lamar Odom.

Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: