Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-12-2017, 04:39 AM   #841
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Default Re: The Tennis Discussion thread

Its 10 years not 4, what you talking about homes

Always difficult, you are
ArbitraryWater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #842
Jasi
Quality?

Does anyone know of any easily downloadable database with historical tennis results?
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #843
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi
Does anyone know of any easily downloadable database with historical tennis results?
Not easily downloadable, but it has all the h2h results since 69.
https://matchstat.com/en/tennis/h2h-...Boris%20Becker
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #844
Jasi
Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
Not easily downloadable, but it has all the h2h results since 69.
https://matchstat.com/en/tennis/h2h-...Boris%20Becker

Thanks a lot, but it's not really what I was looking for...
A db of all tournaments and matches played
Old 07-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #845
dunksby
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi
Thanks a lot, but it's not really what I was looking for...
A db of all tournaments and matches played
Dude, H2H stats are matches within the tournaments, in essence, it is a database of all matches played.
Here is an example:
https://matchstat.com/tennis/tournam...20Masters/1997
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #846
Jasi
Quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
Dude, H2H stats are matches within the tournaments, in essence, it is a database of all matches played.
Here is an example:
https://matchstat.com/tennis/tournam...20Masters/1997

Yeah but that means that I would have to copy-paste that info for every single tournament into my own excel file, no?
I'd like to find an excel file already filled in with all tournaments.
Otherwise it's easier for me to manually populate the table with the info I need for each tournament (year, name, winner, runnerup and other quartefinalists) looking them up on Wiki...
Old 07-27-2017, 12:08 AM   #847
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

had to drop by here one more time since i don't normally talk tennis at my other web hangouts. mostly it's about djokovic.

- his decision to shut it down for the year sounds like an essential move that in retrospect he probably should have done last year. the lingering / recurring elbow injury sounds like it accounted for most of his fall from form.

- at the same time, if i understand some accounts correctly, the guy did cheat on his wife at least two or three times, and apparently it came to a head the middle of last season. i'll try to hold off on judgement until i understand the facts better, but this is obviously not a good look. i can't remember the last time i heard this about a high-profile tennis player, altho i'm sure there's plenty of hanky-panky the public doesn't know about. still, when you're of the standing of djokes, being included in the company of greats and excellent sportsmen like fed, rafa and murray, stuff like this is pretty damaging in terms of the moment and in terms of legacy.

most fans still don't seem too aware of this stuff or concerned for whatever reason, but the damage is still going to be done, regardless. for example-- history can look at a guy like borg and say: "he was incredible for years, but seems to have lost his fighting spirit at some point and decided to retire young." it's just an example of course, but the point is that there's always a narrative or multiple narratives about famous players. in djoke's case, one narrative will probably be: "he was the majority favorite to win a calendar slam before his personal life blew up and everything fell apart. next year he claimed it was really his elbow at fault."

- mcenroe comparing him to tiger woods seemed ridiculous at first, but does make more sense now. if you're a djokes fan, and i am, the main relief is that nole's situation is still nowhere near tiger's fall from grace, and that's probably why agassi smacked some sense in to johnny mac for making such as over-the-top comparison.

- moving on... pretty damn amazing to see fed pull out yet another miracle major win. or maybe the word "miracle" doesn't give his greatness proper credit. at this point i really can't get upset at someone who calls him a goat, even though i'm pretty sure laver still has the greater overall accomplishments in almost every category. but at this point it's too much like saying bill russell is a goat-candidate, if only because measuring such wildly-different eras gets to be so much of a PITA. i'll just be satisfied with the idea that "goat" is almost always thrown around by casuals who are 99% interested in recent history and don't particularly care about past history or doing the hard work of research and metrics. but roger really is a hooved animal with horns IMO. to accomplish what he did at 35 is legendary, and that becomes part of the argument as well.

- not much else to say here, i guess. i did dust off my tennis game this summer and was surprised to find that it's about as good as ever. playing table tennis as my main sport clearly seems to have helped in some ways.

- not sure when the next truly interesting MMA fight will be. jones-cormier2 and may-mac are probably going to be hopelessly predictable, unfortunately with the scumbag likely winning in each case.

- my basketball team (the nets) has had an outstanding summer up until just yesterday, when they traded for the horrible contract of a one-dimension player, allen crabbe. obviously marks and atkinson see something most of us don't. still, the nets are in a dramatically better place than they were just a few months ago. i honestly don't think we're nearly the worst team in the league anymore, nor that we lack a future.

knock on wood.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: