Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #16
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 7,978
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

He had all the physical traits, except for unknown exact speed. It's impossible to tell how fast he was compared to other WRS by watching him play basketball.

The point I want to make is being a great WR is more about the details than having great physical ability. Look at how many guys who run 4.4s, who are 210 plus pounds and have good size are out of the league in 3 years.

What we do know is football and basketball have some overlapping skills. Boxing out in basketball, and boxing out a DB for a contested catch is pretty much the same. What we do know is MJ had a great work ethic. So he would obviously have a chance to be a good player.


I think it's pure and complete BS to assume MJ would be comparable to Randy Moss though. That's a top 3 all-time WR we are talking about.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #17
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,680
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

Football is probably the hardest sport to overlap into. Hell, they're all hard.

Last edited by Tarik One : 10-20-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #18
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 15,103
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
If you want to debate something reply to something that I wrote. You're throwing a hissy fit and calling me out because I speculated that MJ could have been a great receiver if he had chosen to play football. Well, he is extremely tall, had great leaping ability and a lot of speed along with great coordination. What physical traits does a great receiver need that MJ didn't have? Furthermore, I specifically said that MJ probably would not have been better than Moss. Your attitude is really not called for and tossing my name in like that was misleading at best. I didn't previously know whether or not you are more logical than this because I don't really remember anything you've written, but now I know.


Holy relax a little! I wasn't trying to attack you nor was I singling you out. If I wanted to do so I would have called you out in the OP. Someone had brought up they thought 3ball was behind it and I was merely pointing out that you initiated the conversation and I was taken back that a person who usually is logical could make that comparison. I did not outright insult you. You did in fact say you contimplate whether or not Jordan was better than Moss.
I'm a little disappointed in you. For a person who is chosen to moderate this board you really flew off the handle here. I really hope you don't take this personal because I never intended to attack you.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #19
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 22,262
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid

Holy relax a little! I wasn't trying to attack you nor was I singling you out. If I wanted to do so I would have called you out in the OP. Someone had brought up they thought 3ball was behind it and I was merely pointing out that you initiated the conversation and I was taken back that a person who usually is logical could make that comparison. I did not outright insult you. You did in fact say you contimplate whether or not Jordan was better than Moss.
I'm a little disappointed in you. For a person who is chosen to moderate this board you really flew off the handle here. I really hope you don't take this personal because I never intended to attack you.
"I thought he was more logical than that." You did insult me, and now you're backtracking.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #20
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 15,103
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
"I thought he was more logical than that." You did insult me, and now you're backtracking.
That is not an insult. A judgement in character, but not intended to be insulting. But if you took it that way then my apologies. I didn't realize you were so testy. (That last statement is not an insult as well just in case you read it that way)
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #21
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
StateProperty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BMore, MD
Posts: 4,707
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
That is not an insult. A judgement in character, but not intended to be insulting. But if you took it that way then my apologies. I didn't realize you were so testy. (That last statement is not an insult as well just in case you read it that way)
Thicker skin in Philly
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #22
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted
 
bigkingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Land of 1 NBA Championship*
Posts: 15,567
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

Randy Moss would be a top three all time SG if he focused on that sport, maybe even pass MJ up.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #23
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 21,832
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Randy Moss would be a top three all time SG if he focused on that sport, maybe even pass MJ up.
Moss was a fantastic basketball player, but yeah this puts it into perspective.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:29 PM   #24
West-Side
Goat Loading
 
West-Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,899
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

Julius Peppers was a successful basketball star in UNC. He became a HOF level DE/LB in the NFL. He was athletic enough to play ball too but it doesn't mean he could have been Jordan like only because of athleticism.

This is such a retarded question.
There are MILLIONS of gifted athletes that were complete busts in many sports. Just because Jordan perfected his basketball skills doesn't mean he will be a success as a WR, let alone be anywhere near as good as Randy The God Moss.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #25
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 15,103
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-Side
Julius Peppers was a successful basketball star in UNC. He became a HOF level DE/LB in the NFL. He was athletic enough to play ball too but it doesn't mean he could have been Jordan like only because of athleticism.

This is such a retarded question.
There are MILLIONS of gifted athletes that were complete busts in many sports. Just because Jordan perfected his basketball skills doesn't mean he will be a success as a WR, let alone be anywhere near as good as Randy The God Moss.

Also think of all the NBA players that had a stint at football. AI, Lebron...Jordan probably would not have been as good as these guys at football let alone an all-time top 3 receiver

Last edited by hateraid : 10-23-2015 at 05:45 PM.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #26
oarabbus
3-time NBA All-Star
 
oarabbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 10,331
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
If you want to debate something reply to something that I wrote. You're throwing a hissy fit and calling me out because I speculated that MJ could have been a great receiver if he had chosen to play football. Well, he is extremely tall, had great leaping ability and a lot of speed along with great coordination. What physical traits does a great receiver need that MJ didn't have? Furthermore, I specifically said that MJ probably would not have been better than Moss. Your attitude is really not called for and tossing my name in like that was misleading at best. I didn't previously know whether or not you are more logical than this because I don't really remember anything you've written, but now I know.

He's bigger and taller and a better leaper than Messi and Ronaldo. Jordan would probably be better than them at soccer lol that dumb midget Messi thinks he can beat Jordan at soccer. What a joke.

Drew Brees? F.cuk Brees, he's lucky that Steve Nash didnt' decide to play QB. Taller with great coordination, Nash probably even has a couple inches on the vert over Drew.

That Russell Wilson guy is overrated too. Seattle would have won the championship last year easily with taller, bigger, more coordinated, better leaping Westbrook or CP3.

And let's acknowledge that Peyton, Eli, and Brady, Edelman, and Welker ALL go to sleep every night thanking god with tears in their eyes that the more athletic, more hops, taller, faster, stronger Chandler Parsons didn't play in the NFL.

On the flip side, Jimmy Graham is extremely tall (1" on Jordan), has great leaping ability, and a lot of speed along with great coordination. Pretty sure Jimmy Graham could have been better than MJ had he decided to pursue his basketball dream. Same with JJ Watt and Gronk. There is no doubt they'd have been some of the greatest SG/SFs of all time guaranteed.

Last edited by oarabbus : 10-23-2015 at 04:44 PM.
oarabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #27
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 22,262
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarabbus
He's bigger and taller and a better leaper than Messi and Ronaldo. Jordan would probably be better than them at soccer lol that dumb midget Messi thinks he can beat Jordan at soccer. What a joke.

Drew Brees? F.cuk Brees, he's lucky that Steve Nash didnt' decide to play QB. Taller with great coordination, Nash probably even has a couple inches on the vert over Drew.

That Russell Wilson guy is overrated too. Seattle would have won the championship last year easily with taller, bigger, more coordinated, better leaping Westbrook or CP3.

And let's acknowledge that Peyton, Eli, and Brady, Edelman, and Welker ALL go to sleep every night thanking god with tears in their eyes that the more athletic, more hops, taller, faster, stronger Chandler Parsons didn't play in the NFL.

On the flip side, Jimmy Graham is extremely tall (1" on Jordan), has great leaping ability, and a lot of speed along with great coordination. Pretty sure Jimmy Graham could have been better than MJ had he decided to pursue his basketball dream. Same with JJ Watt and Gronk. There is no doubt they'd have been some of the greatest SG/SFs of all time guaranteed.
The soccer comment is off because dribbling a soccer ball is a major skill to be developed. Similarly Jimmy Graham would have to master the skills of shooting and dribbling for the NBA (not to mention he actually played college bball and is a good example of why a very athletic basketball player could make it in the NFL). QBs like the Mannings do something that has nothing to do with the athletic abilities Jordan had. What Jordan had was height, speed, and jumping ability. I am assuming that he can catch, but I don't see how that's a huge assumption given that he showed a high level of coordination on the court as a ballhandler and shooter.

Someone may find you funny but the actual point you're trying to make is just way off.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #28
tmacattack33
Very good NBA starter
 
tmacattack33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,337
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

Of course it is highly improbable that that would have happened. Randy Moss is literally a one out of a billion talent.

MJ may have been able to make it into the NFL though, but even that claim could be challenged. There's only 100 starting WR's in the league at any one point.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #29
oarabbus
3-time NBA All-Star
 
oarabbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 10,331
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
The soccer comment is off because dribbling a soccer ball is a major skill to be developed. Similarly Jimmy Graham would have to master the skills of shooting and dribbling for the NBA (not to mention he actually played college bball and is a good example of why a very athletic basketball player could make it in the NFL). QBs like the Mannings do something that has nothing to do with the athletic abilities Jordan had. What Jordan had was height, speed, and jumping ability. I am assuming that he can catch, but I don't see how that's a huge assumption given that he showed a high level of coordination on the court as a ballhandler and shooter.

Someone may find you funny but the actual point you're trying to make is just way off.


Oh, my point is way off, unlike your point that MJ would be a GOAT receiver potentially better than Randy Moss.

Got it.
oarabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:54 AM   #30
Nanners
hugh mungus what?
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: oregon
Posts: 7,342
Default Re: A discussion is going on right now in the NBA forum saying Michael Jordan...

MJ could have been an absolute beast as an NFL WR.

Jordan would have been huge by football measurements. Compared to other giants like megatron at 6'5" and Julio at 6'4", the 6'6" Jordan would have been an absolute monster. He was also an amazing athlete with great speed, stamina, and strength.... considering his ability to leap in the air combined with having some of the largest and softest hands ever created, he was pretty much designed to be a NFL WR.

If he had dedicated himself to football, the sky would be the limit.

Last edited by Nanners : 10-27-2015 at 02:02 AM.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy