Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Todd Gurley

Kid's good.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Monolith
Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: Todd Gurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
Kid's good.
Our offense would pretty much be non existent without him.
Monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
Le Shaqtus
Go Pack Go

He's legit, something about these Georgia backs, dunno what they put in the water there.
Le Shaqtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:31 AM   #4
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

he's a monster and i can't even say i thought he would be this good. i knew he was going to be good, but he's actually on pace to smash AD's rookie season yards from scrimmage. he's on another level right now. through five games, he has 643 YFS. AD had 1,609 over 14 games. scary thing is i think gurley is going to have a 200+ yard game coming soon enough. he has incredible football IQ/instincts. patient enough to follow his blocks and has the vision and ability to accelerate at just the right time. can block and catch. he needs a nickname, pronto. he's already a top 5 back in the league
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

RBs are a dime a dozen...least valuable position...doesn't matter who runs the ball...you can find a good RB anywhere...etc etc

/sarcasm
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
RBs are a dime a dozen...least valuable position...doesn't matter who runs the ball...you can find a good RB anywhere...etc etc

/sarcasm

It's actually very true.
Guys like B.Sanders, Peterson and Faulk come once a decade it seems.
The OLINE can literally make RBs superstars.

Look at McCoy & E.Smith for instance, two RBs that are considered great. But look at their offensive line. They were so overrated it's ridiculous.

Their incredible lines made their fame; they wouldn't be much better than your average back in the league. Offensive lines matter a lot in this league and it's no surprise that most of the great backs (Terrell Davis for instance) or Shaun Alexander, had so much success because of their incredibly strong offensive line.

There's guys like Sander, Peterson, Charles, J.Brown etc. who were special running backs and you can see their talent shine through but there are a ton of backs that have had a ton of success in this league primarily because of who was blocking for them. Guys like Murray is a PERFECT example, and there are so many of those guys every-where.

My point is, Todd Gurley looks to me like that next great back. I don't evaulate running backs by their numbers, ever. I look at the way they run the ball; their vision, strength and elusiveness. Gurley is a special talent and I'm excited to see him in the NFL.

McCoy had that elusiveness that made him exciting to watch play; he was incredible in the open field but he also had two of the ten best linesman in the world blocking for him.

Do you guys remember Hutchinson in Minnesota?
Guess who made a living off that guy?

Remember L.Allen in Dallas? The dude made Emmith Smith's legendary career. Now I'm not saying those guys are bad running backs but they are replaceable. They aren't nearly as great as people think they are. The greatest thing about E.Smith was his durability. He was a good back, did everything really well but imagine Barry Sanders with Dallas in the 90's.

I seem them winning a few more superbowls to be honest.
That guy is the DEFINITION of the perfect RB, no one has ever came close to being as good as that guy was. The elusiveness, speed and vision are 2nd to none; he didn't need a great offensive line to block for him, he took what they gave him and created runs out of nothing.

McCoy & Charles (and Tomlinson, Faulk) very similar in terms of speed & elusiveness but they simply did not have the vision Barry had, that's perhaps the most important criteria we should use to determine a great back (2nd being ability to break tackles & speed/agility).
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Did this MOTHER****ER just say the all time career rushing leader was a replaceable level back?????????
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Did this MOTHER****ER just say the all time career rushing leader was a replaceable level back?????????

These are the type of morons I'm talking about.
Smith was def. not a replaceable back, however, he was very overrated.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

You just said he was replaceable and now you're saying he's def NOT replaceable.

Make up your mind.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #10
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Smith was amazing RB, who ran behind MANY different linemen in his long career. He is actually underrated because so man fools out there like West think his line made him who he was.

Smith almost ran for 1,000 yards at age 35, on a HORRID Cardinals offensive line.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #11
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
You just said he was replaceable and now you're saying he's def NOT replaceable.

Make up your mind.

By replaceable, I mean I can name at least 40 running backs that could have achieved similar stats as E.Smith with that Dallas team. Smith's most impressive feat was always his durability.

I didn't mean that he wasn't a good back, just very overrated. I probably should have used a better word to describe Emmith.
It puzzles me that there are people out there that would actually consider him better than Sanders.

The point is, there are only a dozen really special backs in NFL history that I would consider real difference makers to a team. Backs that could still average 4.5 YPC and produce at a high level with a bad offensive line. I don't think Smith is one of those backs at all.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #12
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

RB is just like any other position...there are a group of "elites"...Peterson, Charles, Bell, Lynch, Gurley, etc etc...there are awful RBs, T. Rich, Shonn Greene, etc etc...and there is EVERYTHING in between.

that is no different than QB...or safety...or CB...or WR...or any other position
Old 11-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #13
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-Side
By replaceable, I mean I can name at least 40 running backs that could have achieved similar stats as E.Smith with that Dallas team. Smith's most impressive feat was always his durability.

I didn't mean that he wasn't a good back, just very overrated. I probably should have used a better word to describe Emmith.
It puzzles me that there are people out there that would actually consider him better than Sanders.

The point is, there are only a dozen really special backs in NFL history that I would consider real difference makers to a team. Backs that could still average 4.5 YPC and produce at a high level with a bad offensive line. I don't think Smith is one of those backs at all.
over his career????

are you out of your fckin mind?
Old 11-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #14
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

West-Side is showing why Emmitt Smith is UNDER-RATED

watch his fcking highlights guy...look at what HE is doing and not his line

sometimes people need to be reminded just how great Emmitt was...his highlight reel is amazing...it's not just him running threw huge holes
Old 11-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #15
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

I think the point is there are many, many more replacement level RBS available who can come in and often times do just as well as "name" RBS.

Look at Deangelo Williams. Thought to be washed up prior to season...comes in and produces. Chris Johnson off the streets and now is one of the leading rushers in the league.

If you gotta go to a backup QB you are pretty much ****ed.

Special ones are excempt. Those guys matter......but their are still numerous other positions I would take a special talent over.

LT and RT, WR, Any Pass Rusher, MLB, CB and probably Safety.

You wouldn't have said that before the rule changes. A star RB was a hot commodity.

So the position has been devalued, in comparison to other positons.

My opinion anyway.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: