Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 11-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
GIF REACTION
Banned

Arrow Naughty Dog/Uncharted get put on BLAST

West-Side melting down like a snow cone

Quote:
Opening his keynote at PAX Aus 2015 earlier today, the Deus Ex creator told the audience: “We are all part of a medium nothing else can do: collaborative storytelling. And I think it’s important that we embrace that capability.”

The seasoned designer re-iterated on several occasions that player experience and the ability to express themselves in a game should always comes first, adding to developers: “If all you want to do is show off how clever you are, get out of my medium! Go make a movie or something, because that’s what you should be doing.”

Quote:
“It’s not that games like this are bad, but they limit your ability to interact with the game world, so the story can unfold the way the storyteller wants it to unfold. You have very limited ability to express yourself; it’s about how do you accomplish a predetermined path to get to the next plot point. It’s a great story – a better story than I’ll ever tell in a game – but it’s not a player story; it’s not your story.”

Quote:
“I love The Walking Dead, but the choices you have to make; they’re compelling choices… but they’re designer driven, not player driven. Every choice in a game like this has been pre-scripted and handwritten by a designer somewhere, and the effects of that choice have been predetermined by the developers.”

“There’s very limited stuff that players actually get to do.”

Quote:
“Heavy Rain is an amazing experience. They can tell great stories; better than I can tell in my life as a game developer. But they tell better stories because no player will ever do anything surprising or unaccounted for. They’re basically like five movie scripts all mashed together, and you’re just picking which script you’re telling at any given point in time.”

Quote:
Spector went on to conclude that gaming was largely “in a rut”, with these so-called low and medium expression games not doing “a great job at exploiting what makes video games different”. While he considered a number of games to be ‘high expression’, including fighting games, Dishonored, Fallout, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and The Sims, Spector felt that designers on the whole could do more.

http://powerupgaming.co.uk/2015/10/3...o-game-medium/
GIF REACTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
outbreak
Banned

Default Re: Naughty Dog/Uncharted get put on BLAST

Naughty dog? You mean telltale and quantic get put on blast?

Uncharted 2 was a more varied game than ANY halo game has been. The set pieces and puzzle sequences add a lot. If you are going to say uncharted is too design driven then you have to say almost every third person game ever is.

Any way I think you missed the point. He is talking about the walking dead and heavy rain. He means games that promote "choice" but at the end of the day the choice isn't yours.

Naughy dog's games aren't even that style they are cinematic adventure games with actual gameplay in the form of shooting, puzzles and climbing. They in no way even try to promote choice and nor should they have to in that genre. The games they mentioned are totally different, they offer very little gameplay beyond a choose your own adventure style story. I agree heavy rain and the walking dead failed for me because of this, but the genre is evolving and until dawn is in the same style but actually felt like the choices mattered down the track and had a more compelling feeling to it so the genre is improving.

seriously though, you may be the most insecure poster on this site. Why does it matter so much in your life if uncharted 4 is better received than halo 5? It doesn't change the fact you prefer halo and enjoy halo. Just ignore the people who have a different opinion and focus on your own life and your own happiness.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
GIF REACTION
Banned

meltdown

i literally copied and pasted this off neogaf
Old 11-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
outbreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
meltdown

i literally copied and pasted this off neogaf
melt down? I'm not even mad just think you need to step back and stop getting so worked up. Now you are searching other sites and stealing material that you've failed to read properlly. It's just a game.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
GIF REACTION
Banned

Yeah dude you're melting down hard

you must be the ultimate buzz kill in real life
Old 11-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #6
outbreak
Banned

Quote:
Yeah dude you're melting down hard

you must be the ultimate buzz kill in real life

Yulp. I'm the one melting down, not you the guy who's made numerous threads about the same subject and 90% of his posts are about the same subject....
Old 11-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #7
GIF REACTION
Banned

you are ALWAYS the first one to make things personal bro

type this in google

Insidehoops outbreak gif reaction

You are obsessed with me dude, and every time you've made it personal

lighten the **** up and realize half the shit people post here is a joke
Old 11-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #8
nightprowler10
Hold the door

GIF Reaction is the same dude who was telling people he slept with their mothers on Xbox Live all those years ago. How you people expect anything other than trolling and shit posting from a Halo fan is beyond me.
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:42 AM   #9
Ai2death
I am ZeNs B*tch

Outbreak

Gained a lot of respect for you as a poster over my time here. Keep up the good work.

& to you GIF REACTION
Ai2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:04 AM   #10
GIF REACTION
Banned

Deal with it you little bitch

Got these clowns on the strings!

BRB going down to the beach to have a good bodysurf! Because I'm a real australian unlike you two posers

WASABI!
Old 11-02-2015, 01:20 AM   #11
Ai2death
I am ZeNs B*tch

Quote:
Deal with it you little bitch

Got these clowns on the strings!

BRB going down to the beach to have a good bodysurf! Because I'm a real australian unlike you two posers

WASABI!

Hope you get hands eaten off by a great white so you can't *********e all over your Halo collection anymore.
Ai2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #12
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Halo 5: Guardians features an underwhelming, confusing and surprisingly banal campaign that's not actively bad, but equally not quite good enough to warrant a purchase on its own.

Quote:
For the most part, Bungie achieved this lofty balance with its Halo games, but after an impressive first shot at the sci-fi series with Halo 4, 343 Industries has fumbled with one of the most important parts of a Halo experience: the solo campaign.

Quote:
If it weren't for Warzone, Halo 5: Guardians would probably be somewhere on the lower end of the franchise's spectrum for me. It's still a fantastic and well-oiled machine, but the story falls flat, and the shift in gameplay mechanics result in the loss of some elements that made the series so unique in the first place. Still, if you're looking to shoot some dudes online, Guardians is your huckleberry.

Quote:
I think die-hard Halo fans will love Halo 5: Guardians, as it’s a game made almost exclusively with them in mind. The rest of us might find ourselves a little lost, a bit let down and wistful for an old horizon that once reached for the heavens.

Quote:
The ultimate irony here is that what gets our species in trouble in the campaign's narrative is ultimately the kind of needless combat that the game excels at.

Ouch.

The worst from Uncharted trilogy, is better than this garbage.
GOTY?

Drake's Fortune
Critic Score - 88
User Score - 81

Halo 5
Critic Score - 86
User Score - 70

Who's melting like an ice cream cone again?
Certainly not me, you're the one trolling in the Uncharted 4 threads and creating new threads about U4.

#RentFree
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #13
Kungfro
NBA lottery pick

I actually agree with what he's saying. The Uncharted series is still great, but I think games can do more then just try and replicate the experience of a movie. Uncharted's set pieces and scripted sequences are interesting the first time through, but I've never had any desire to go back and replay them.
Kungfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #14
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungfro
I actually agree with what he's saying. The Uncharted series is still great, but I think games can do more then just try and replicate the experience of a movie. Uncharted's set pieces and scripted sequences are interesting the first time through, but I've never had any desire to go back and replay them.

I love Uncharted but yeah, it doesn't have the biggest replay value.
It still is a fantastic game to play and playing it on crushing will definitely test your skills.

With that said, I think you guys should watch some of Uncharted 4's game play. They have redesigned a lot of the game-play. You can now use stealth and the maps are far more open to explore and tackle enemies from different perspectives. They also added new climbing tools to Drake's arsenal. Also, they introduced the rope; which makes the gameplay feel fresh and adds another strategy to battling enemies.

Uncharted 3's poor AI and rushed story is what prevented it from being on U2's level (perhaps higher). ****ing Amy developed it. The same "writer" that so many dipshits on here are praising. She's the one who was the lead on U1 & U3, surprisingly two games that have many issues. The people that created U2 and TLOU are the same people developing U4, so I'm not at all worried. Both games won GOTY.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #15
GIF REACTION
Banned

Jeeze all of you are so hostile. So unsociable.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: