Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #76
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 22,266
Default Re: New details on Greg Hardy domestic abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Understand? I'm just trying to explain to you the legal difference and why one is a game of chance and one is a game of skill.
I don't see you addressing the actual law anywhere in this post. You are beating an already acknowledged point to death: Yes, poker is more about skill than blackjack. That does not make it legal. If gambling is not legal in your state then you can't just open up a poker house and make money running games. Some places it's not even legal to play online. But you can buy all the scratch tickets you want, something that has no skill element whatsoever. In fact, it's the government that sells them to you.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:25 PM   #77
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 21,835
Default Re: New details on Greg Hardy domestic abuse

Online poker and fantasy are legal throughout the US and blackjack is not because of what i am saying. Read the Wikipedia page i posted for the difference.

Lotto is legal because the profit pays for schools and other things.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:29 AM   #78
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 22,266
Default Re: New details on Greg Hardy domestic abuse

There are online blackjack sites. Harrahscasino.com has it and a few other games as well. Google it and you will see a few results.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:52 AM   #79
oarabbus
3-time NBA All-Star
 
oarabbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 10,331
Default Re: New details on Greg Hardy domestic abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
Daily fantasy is a game of skill that includes an element of luck.

Daily fantasy is gambling, and gambling should be legal.

Absolutely this

Daily Fantasy is definitely gambling. There's really not much difference on DFS and betting on a spread/line.... and the latter is certainly gambling. And gambling should be legal.
oarabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #80
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 21,835
Default Re: New details on Greg Hardy domestic abuse

There is a difference between betting the line and assembling a fantasy team...BUT, isn't betting the line legal for the most part?

Pretty sure i could jump on bodog and legally place some wagers.

Really the things that are illegal ate pure games of chance, roulette, craps, blackjack, slots, etc.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #81
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 20,785
Default Re: New details on Greg Hardy domestic abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
There is a difference between betting the line and assembling a fantasy team...BUT, isn't betting the line legal for the most part?

Pretty sure i could jump on bodog and legally place some wagers.

Really the things that are illegal ate pure games of chance, roulette, craps, blackjack, slots, etc.

Aren't those sites (poker, bodog, etc) hosted in other countries tho? I don't think it's that they are legal it's just that you can play on them because they are hosted internationally.

DFS is legal in the US because of a legal loophole that defines it as a game of skill. I'm pretty sure the only reason it meets that definition is that everything is preset before the game begins. Everyone knows the total payouts, the price of each player, everyone has the same budget, etc.

Last edited by Jailblazers7 : 11-13-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #82
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 21,835
Default Re: New details on Greg Hardy domestic abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Aren't those sites (poker, bodog, etc) hosted in other countries tho? I don't think it's that they are legal it's just that you can play on them because they are hosted internationally.

DFS is legal in the US because of a legal loophole that defines it as a game of skill. I'm pretty sure the only reason it meets that definition is that everything is preset before the game begins. Everyone knows the total payouts, the price of each player, everyone has the same budget, etc.
That does look to be the case with Bodog...located in the Caribbean Nation of Antigua. Not sure what is going on with poker these days.

So...if Draft Kings was located in the Caribbean there would be no risk of losing out on US profits? They should just move out of the US if that is the case.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #83
TheSilentKiller
NBA Legend
 
TheSilentKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 16,821
Default Re: New details on Greg Hardy domestic abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
That does look to be the case with Bodog...located in the Caribbean Nation of Antigua. Not sure what is going on with poker these days.

So...if Draft Kings was located in the Caribbean there would be no risk of losing out on US profits? They should just move out of the US if that is the case.
Online poker is illegal in the US except Nevada and New York (i think, there might be one other state too). Even in those states, any site that isn't based in the US / regualted by the US, is illegal.

As a Missouri resident, I cannot legally play poker online.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #84
Nanners
hugh mungus what?
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: oregon
Posts: 7,342
Default Re: New details on Greg Hardy domestic abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarabbus
There's really not much difference on DFS and betting on a spread/line.... and the latter is certainly gambling. And gambling should be legal.

yep

daily fantasy lineups are basically just big parlay bets where you are betting on multiple lines at once and scoring them against the other players in your pool instead of a bookie.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #85
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 21,835
Default Re: New details on Greg Hardy domestic abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
yep

daily fantasy lineups are basically just big parlay bets where you are betting on multiple lines at once and scoring them against the other players in your pool instead of a bookie.
They don't work like lines.

Lines are purely designed to get 50% of the money on each side of the bet, that way the casino charges the winning side 15% rake and the casino profits no matter who wins, it is impossible for the casino to lose.

If 60% of the money is on one team, the line will then change to adjust for that. The line fluctuates around who is betting on what.


In Daily Fantasy, some small group of execs throw prices on players that are NOT influenced by who is betting on what, clearly or Freeman would been $20k some weeks lol, and those prices could be very very different from one site to the next. Julio Jones might be a great play on Draft Kings and a horrible play at Fanduel at the same time. They are prices that can, and are, taken advantage of and strategized around.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy