Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 07-03-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
SYOrangeMan
I brick open layups

Default Do you think Bargnani's gonna be a flop?

Just seeking opinions whether Bargnani's gonna become a disappointment or the Raptors' next star player.
SYOrangeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:49 AM   #2
ACCBaller1403
Washed up streetballer

Decent starter. Not worth the first pick I don't think but I don't think he'll be awful like some people claim. At peak: 17 ppg 7 rpg no defense
ACCBaller1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:51 AM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I say he'll be something like Mehmet Okur, maybe a slight bit better.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:52 AM   #4
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

why doesn't anyone think Bargnani can play defense? I mean he'll probably suck this season, but you can't say a guy that led his league in blocked shots plays "no defense"
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:53 AM   #5
SYOrangeMan
I brick open layups

I hope he flops though, I want the Raptors to regret trading Villanueva away.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:59 AM   #6
ACCBaller1403
Washed up streetballer

Quote:
"no defense"

I'm basing this on the classic Euro non-defensive stereotype. Dirk sucked at D until Avery. Mehmet can't play a lick of D. Ditto for Peja. He could prove the stereotype wrong but stereotypes are made for a reason...

God knows he's got the size and quickness to be a very good defensive player.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:01 AM   #7
boshraptor4life
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCBaller1403
Decent starter. Not worth the first pick I don't think but I don't think he'll be awful like some people claim. At peak: 17 ppg 7 rpg no defense

Of this draft class, who will peak better than that?!
boshraptor4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:02 AM   #8
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

on the other hand though, Gasol is a very good defender, as are Nocioni and Ginobili [who is decent].
I see your point though, he'll have to prove he's an exception before anyone assumes he can hold the fort defensively. Like I said, he'll probably suck this year, but we'll see
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:05 AM   #9
ACCBaller1403
Washed up streetballer

I could name a couple that I think'll be better (not necessarily for the Raptors, but in terms of total impact)

Roy, Foye, Gay are the obvious answers. I think the Raptors would've been better served trading down, grabbing Andrea and some other assets in the process. I'm assuming they tried to and it didn't work out. I've defended the pick but I don't think he'll produce #1 pick numbers. Being the #1 pick places somewhat unrealistic expectations on a player, but that's how it is. I think the Raps will be scary if they keep progressing with what they have, grow together, don't rush anything, etc.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #10
ACCBaller1403
Washed up streetballer

Quote:
Nocioni and Ginobili

They're both Argentinian so I didn't include them (non-Euro). Kirilenko really throws a monkey wrench in my reasoning, but hey, he's one of how many? I hope he's good. I've been defending him to my friends for a while now so if he doesn't pan out, Andrea will make me look like a moron.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #11
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCBaller1403
I'm basing this on the classic Euro non-defensive stereotype. Dirk sucked at D until Avery. Mehmet can't play a lick of D. Ditto for Peja. He could prove the stereotype wrong but stereotypes are made for a reason...

God knows he's got the size and quickness to be a very good defensive player.
I don't think Okur is a sub-par defender at all.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:09 AM   #12
FabCasablancas
Banned

It seems to always be the same pattern. Just like Darko last season... they show this video where they look great in Europe but it never translates.

Another thing is that people don't realize how unique Dirk is. They think that because there is a Dirk that there must be hundreds of him over there. Every 7 footer can be as good as Dirk.. just doesn't work that way. Bargnani does have an advantage though.. he has something Dirk has never had in his career.. an excellent post player. If Dirk had that he would look even more incredible than he already does.

If you put a player like Dirk with a post presence you create the same kind of dynamic as a Kobe and Shaq or Wade and Shaq or Nash and Amare.. inside out. Though it's even better because you have 2 bigs. It's more difficult for the opposing bigmen to defend them.

Last edited by FabCasablancas : 07-03-2006 at 02:11 AM.
FabCasablancas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:10 AM   #13
dgilbert
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYOrangeMan
I hope he flops though, I want the Raptors to regret trading Villanueva away.
I hope your not a raps fan, cause that would be some weak ****
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:18 AM   #14
dgilbert
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabCasablancas
It seems to always be the same pattern. Just like Darko last season... they show this video where they look great in Europe but it never translates.

Another thing is that people don't realize how unique Dirk is. They think that because there is a Dirk that there must be hundreds of him over there. Every 7 footer can be as good as Dirk.. just doesn't work that way. Bargnani does have an advantage though.. he has something Dirk has never had in his career.. an excellent post player. If Dirk had that he would look even more incredible than he already does.

If you put a player like Dirk with a post presence you create the same kind of dynamic as a Kobe and Shaq or Wade and Shaq or Nash and Amare.. inside out. Though it's even better because you have 2 bigs. It's more difficult for the opposing bigmen to defend them.
the biggest mistake people make, is that they say he'll be the next dirk, or he'll be another darko, or tsikivili, all because the have a common point of being 7 footers with outside skills, the point i'd make is that there is a happy medium, which is where I think he'll end up, the guy who said 17, and 7 may not be that far off, could be better, or worse,who knows none of these guys have played a single game in the league yet, but the comparisons to darko, and tsikivili are unfair in this sense, neither of these guys were contributors to their teams in europe, hell they hardly even played, so they were much more of a gamble, whereas andrea was the best player in the playoffs for his team, and led them to the championship, to me that's a huge difference, and one of the main reason's i'm so comfortable with the pick
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:19 AM   #15
SYOrangeMan
I brick open layups

No I'm not. More of a fan of just Charlie V and Chris Bosh.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: