Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 07-04-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
AlanLeavell
Can barely lace up my sneakers

AlanLeavell has an OK reputation so far
Default It was the right move

The knock on Gay is that he doesn't hustle and lacks intensity (think Kwame Brown on heroin... I mean, did you see the George Mason game?), which, coincidentally, is the knock on Stromile. Talent is cheap, potential is a dime a dozen, and for every draft "project" who makes it big (Amare, Garnett, etc), there are 20 who bust (Joe Smith, Olowakandi, Eddy Curry, Chris Wilcox, Mike Dunleavy, Nikoloz Tshcisihlsihlivcil, the entire 2000 draft class, EDDIE GRIFFIN for Rudy's sake!). In fact, you're lucky to get a decent rotation guy out of the draft, someone like... Shane Battier. He's a blue collar guy, a hard worker, a locker room leader... IMO, the ceiling for Gay's potential is to be the next Shane Battier (who is, essentially, the next Robert Horry, just not so in love with the 3 or the Krispy Kremes).

The Glory Days of the '94 team were built around one superstar and the right pieces. In 1990, the team went 41-41 under the stellar leadership of Don Cheaney with a starting lineup of Hakeem, Thorpe, Buck Johnson, Mad Max and Sleepy Floyd. That's 3 of 5 starters from the first Championship team! All that really changed were the pieces around Dream: we replaced an aging, shoot-first PG (who cared so much they called him Sleepy) with the jump-shooting Kenny Smith; we replaced the transparent Buck with a pre-donut fixation Horry; and added a rookie named Sam Cassell with the 24th pick of the '93 draft. Right now, we've got 2 studs, we just need the right pieces around them (and possibly a back transplant...)

Dumping these 2 clowns makes perfect sense to me. Stro was obviously not a good fit for us, and drafting a 19 year old is too damn unpredictable (just ask Joe Dumars...)

Of course, if we finish dead last in the division again next year and Rudy Gay becomes a superstar, I'll eat my Sidney Moncrief jersey...
AlanLeavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
I'll eat my Sidney Moncrief jersey...
Whatchu know 'bout Sidney Moncrief?

Anyway, about the post. I agree. However, the trade leaves us thin. If management handles their bidnuss in the offseason, we'll be okay. It would be nice to get a future 1st rounder from them or something. Or Lawrence Roberts. I think that guy will be very solid if he could get some PT. Anthony Roberson wouldn't be bad either. Combo guard that can score. We could stick him in the D-League this year too. He could pan out to be an okay spark plug.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
SJellen
I hit open 5-footers

SJellen has an OK reputation so far

every uconn lose can be tied to rudy gay not showing up to play
SJellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Dat1
I brick open layups

Dat1 has an OK reputation so far

the got a more experienced player in battier anyway
Dat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
Ankel Breaker
I airball my layups

Ankel Breaker has an OK reputation so far

Im just glad that the rocket fans are actually calmed down enough now,to realize they got a good player.It took a week but they have actually realized that they got a player in return and did not just lose two .
Ankel Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #6
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankel Breaker
Im just glad that the rocket fans are actually calmed down enough now,to realize they got a good player.It took a week but they have actually realized that they got a player in return and did not just lose two .
We knew that all along, dude.

You do know we play in the same division as Memphis, right? We see Shane 4 times a year head-to-head and many of us have League Pass (well.....I do).

We just know how thin our roster already was..........
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
Quiksurfin33
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quiksurfin33 has an OK reputation so far
Default .

They also pointed out that McGrady and Yao don't have that much time left cause of there age. I like this trade because I dont want a rookie that has a chance of being a good player when you can already get a good, young solid player like Battier. For you Swift fans, im sorry, that guy was AWFUL on our team. He couldn't fit in the system at all. Besides, I kind of figured it was a bust when we got him because we needed a power foward that can shoot and we lost that when Scott Padgett left. We can't blame Dawson for it either, he tried to get Donyell Marshall who is an excellent shooting power foward. I think the biggest ouch was trading Mike James (I wanted to slap that fool so hard lol) We'll see whath appens this season. SOOOOoo many new changes it's gonna be badass
Quiksurfin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: