Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-29-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here
Default OT: Seriously... is the war on drugs worth this?

a 92 year old lady killed in a raid for "marijuana".

F*cking nazi's in charge, I swear. This drug war is pathetic and worthless, it is a mock show of control. The cops get something to put in the newspaper to make it sound like something is getting done. No progress will ever be made, someone somewhere will want to bend reality be it from something smuggled over the border in someone's ass or from under their sink.

Quote:
2 Cops Plead Guilty In Raid Mistake Death Of Woman

(CBS News) ATLANTA Two police officers pleaded guilty to manslaughter Thursday in the shooting death of a 92-year-old woman during a botched drug raid. A third officer was also indicted in the woman's death.

Retired officer Gregg Junnier pleaded guilty to manslaughter, violation of oath, criminal solicitation and making false statements during a hearing before Fulton County Superior Court Judge Michael Johnson.

Officer J.R. Smith, 35, pleaded guilty to the same four charges and to perjury, which was based on making untrue claims in a warrant.

In court, Smith said he regretted what happened.

"I'm sorry," he said, his voice barely audible.

The state asked the judge to withhold sentencing until Junnier has another hearing this afternoon in federal court, where he was expected also to plead guilty.

U.S. Attorney David Nahmias said the federal sentence will be 10 years and one month in prison.

Junnier, Smith and Officer Arthur Tesler were indicted Thursday morning on multiple state charges in the death of Kathryn Johnston, who died in a November shootout with police.

Plainclothes police officers with a no-knock warrant raided Johnston's home on Nov. 21, 2006, after an informant said he had bought drugs there, according to police. When the men burst in without warning, Johnston fired at the plainclothes officers who burst in, and they fired back, killing her.

Junnier, 40, and Smith, 35, were charged in the indictment with felony murder, violation of oath by a public officer, criminal solicitation, burglary, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and making false statements.

Tesler, 40, is charged with violation of oath by a public officer, making false statements and false imprisonment under color of legal process.

Fulton County prosecutors said earlier this year that they intended to seek murder charges against the three officers.

Tesler's attorney, William McKenney, said his client testified before the grand jury and expects to go to trial. Junnier retired in from the police department in January. Tesler and Smith are on administrative leave.

Tesler is "very relieved" not to face murder charges, McKenney said. "But we're concerned about the three charges," he said.

When officers raided Johnston's home without announcing their presence, police say she fired a handgun and officers returned fire. An autopsy report revealed Johnston was shot five or six times in the chest, arms, legs and feet.

Atlanta Police Chief Richard Pennington asked the FBI to lead a multi-agency probe into the shootout. He also announced policy changes to require the department to drug-test its nearly 1,800 officers and mandate that top supervisors sign off on narcotics operations and no-knock warrants.

Police frequently use "no-knock" warrants to get inside a home before suspects have a chance to get rid of any drugs or other contraband.

To get the warrant, officers told a magistrate judge that an undercover informant had told them Johnston's home had surveillance cameras monitored carefully by a drug dealer named "Sam."

After the shooting, a man claiming to be the informant told a television station that he never purchased drugs there, prompting Pennington to admit he was uncertain whether the suspected drug dealer actually existed.

Initially, the medical examiner's office said Johnston was 88 while her relatives insisted she was 92. Public officials now agree she was 92.

The Rev. Markel Hutchins, a civil rights activist who serves as a spokesman for Johnston's family, said the family was satisfied with Thursday's developments.

"They have never sought vengeance. They have only sought justice," he said.

Hutchins said the family is considering civil action against the police department.

"I think what happened today makes it very clear that Ms. Johnston was violated, that her civil rights were violated," he said.
http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/to...116112939.html

Just sad to think 25 BILLION tax dollars each year are spent to stop ladies like this.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
m1sterb
Great young streetballer

m1sterb has not been impressing people
Default Re: OT: Seriously... is the war on drugs worth this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
a 92 year old lady killed in a raid for "marijuana".

F*cking nazi's in charge, I swear. This drug war is pathetic and worthless, it is a mock show of control. The cops get something to put in the newspaper to make it sound like something is getting done. No progress will ever be made, someone somewhere will want to bend reality be it from something smuggled over the border in someone's ass or from under their sink.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/to...116112939.html

Just sad to think 25 BILLION tax dollars each year are spent to stop ladies like this.

I think it's worthless as well. I'm not saying we should legalize everything. But I think it should be considered a zone of tolerance. Imagine all the savings we'd save in the prison systems as well.

They need to lock up the violent offenders and let those that just smoke their ish out. I wonder how many people are in prison for drugs alone.
m1sterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Derek
Good High School Starter

Derek has an OK reputation so far

Nothing surprises me anymore. I guess by killing senior citizens, we'll stop the drug problem, right?
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

It's sad that the lady was killed, but mistakes happen a lot. They can't always be avoided, although they do seem to happen a bit more then they should.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
telephone
Banned

telephone has an OK reputation so far

Hesontly, I know its bad but shes 92. So really i think the war on drugs can spare a 92-year old woman.
telephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by telephone
Hesontly, I know its bad but shes 92. So really i think the war on drugs can spare a 92-year old woman.
It's pitiful. She didn't even do anything, these f*ckups back at the whitehouse are spending 19 BILLION a year just on marijuana
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
different107

different107 has decent reputation

Quote:
It's pitiful. She didn't even do anything, these f*ckups back at the whitehouse are spending 19 BILLION a year just on marijuana

I don't pay that much attention to the war on drugs, but does stuff like this happen a lot?
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Do you know how much foreign aid we could give with 19 billion? Or help the starving chilrden in our own country. It's mind bottling how much money is wasted on a drug that is virtually harmless. We are discussing this in my philosophy class right, I saw some statistics that the US gives like 0.02% of our GNP to foreign aid. Pathetic. That's why I give to UNICEF and you all should too
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

Some old lady gets oinch now people want to cry about the war on drugs.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
eboloid
Flash Gordo

eboloid has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1sterb
Imagine all the savings we'd save in the prison systems as well.

I think you mean IMAGINE THE HUGE LOSS IN PROFITS FOR THE PRISON OPERATORS IF WE LET ALL THE NON-VIOLENT DRUG CONVICTS FREE. Yeah. And, like, think of the children. Lots of people have an investment in the war on drugs, and they'll campaign real hard to keep their jobs. Quite perverse, really, if you think about it. The DEA alone has a yearly budget of about $2.5 billion.

Quote:
I wonder how many people are in prison for drugs alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In 1994, it was reported that the War on Drugs incarcerates 1 million Americans a year.[11] Of the 1 million drug arrests each year, about 225,000 are for simple possession of marijuana, the fourth most common cause of arrest in the United States[12] In the 1980s, while the number of arrests for all crimes was rising 28 percent, the number of arrests for drug offenses rose 126 percent.[13] The United States has a higher proportion of its population incarcerated than any other country in the world for which reliable statistics are available reaching a total of 2.2 million inmates in the US in 2005. The US Dept. of Justice, reporting on the effects of state initiatives, has stated that, from 1990 through 2000, "the increasing number of drug offenses accounted for 27% of the total growth among black inmates, 7% of the total growth among Hispanic inmates, and 15% of the growth among white inmates."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_on_drugs

A bunch. It would be really nice to see folks stand up against the War on Drugs, but unfortunately the majority of people around the world still believe that a single bonghit will lead to insanity, violence, death or even worse, homosexual behavior.
eboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
STelfair31

STelfair31 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Do you know how much foreign aid we could give with 19 billion? Or help the starving chilrden in our own country. It's mind bottling how much money is wasted on a drug that is virtually harmless. We are discussing this in my philosophy class right, I saw some statistics that the US gives like 0.02% of our GNP to foreign aid. Pathetic. That's why I give to UNICEF and you all should too

we have our own problems..but your right we should give to starving children..
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
STelfair31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy

we have our own problems..but your right we should give to starving children..
Old 04-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I think you mean IMAGINE THE HUGE LOSS IN PROFITS FOR THE PRISON OPERATORS IF WE LET ALL THE NON-VIOLENT DRUG CONVICTS FREE. Yeah. And, like, think of the children. Lots of people have an investment in the war on drugs, and they'll campaign real hard to keep their jobs. Quite perverse, really, if you think about it. The DEA alone has a yearly budget of about $2.5 billion.

^you are right there

War on drugs is big business nowadays.... alot of people get paid big dollars to fight this war... Im sure they want it to continue for a while... cant win so easily...where will their income come from if they do?
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #14
STelfair31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
Some old lady gets oinch now people want to cry about the war on drugs.

ya they cry now when its been in the black community for alot of years no one was cryin then....until this happened
Old 04-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #15
STelfair31

Officer J.R. Smith, 35, pleaded guilty to the same four charges and to perjury, which was based on making untrue claims in a warrant.

is he the Nuggets J.R. Smith?? hahaha
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: