Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #1
0ne50
Local High School Star

Default NFL DRAFT: Grade your team and division.

AFC North

Baltimore - This is my team right here. I give them a B- cause they had little to work with and addressed a need. Plus Grubbs complements their off season signing of last year's Steve McNair and this year's Willis McGehee. They also drafted a returner. That's the one I don't get. I would have liked to see them get another cornerback via the draft. I don't think there was much to choose from though. I not in love with the Troy Smith pick though. The Ravens have better luck with signing free agent QBs then acquiring them through the draft.

Cincinnati - C+ They could have used interior defensive help. Hall to me will not transition into a good corner in the NFL but he is still an up grade. Too many good WRs in the NFL, He plays the run well but his coverage and technique are not up to par for such a high pick. Kenny Irons is a good look for them.

Cleveland - A+ what can I say. When you get a franchise left tackle and a franchise type QB who could've went much higher in the draft you are setting your team up for success. Their draft moves should make Sports Center's top 10 plays of the week.

Pittsburgh - C+ They strengthen their defense. What else is new. These draft picks are much like the Ravens. Not sexy at all. I think they could have gotten Ben some protection.

I can't hate on none of these teams. There are some crafty GMs in this division, which could make the AFC north the class of the NFL in the not so distant future.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
0ne50
Local High School Star

Default Re: NFL DRAFT: Grade your team and division.

NFL fans feel free to chime in.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

You left out Yamon Figurs aka Jermaine Lewis. Baltimore got a bigtime returner. Pitt as always adds defense. Yet another solid LB at that. Last Browns added a first round value pick at CB. E.Wright was a first round prospect but his off the field drama dropped his stock. If not for that he would have went in the first. Just as good as Reavis and better than Ross/Hall.

Eagles get a C- They traded down to save money because they dont want to pay first round money. And the QB they took wont start talkin "contract", "Show me money" because he will be sitting as a backup until Mcnabb is done which could be another 4yrs easy. Drafted another mofo DE because they are gonna CUT Jerome McDougle (whom they traded up for 2yrs ago). With Kearse, Howard starting and Cole, J.Thomas backing up there is only room for 1 more DE. That kid needs work too. The best picks were Stewart Bradley and Tony Hunt (the RB we finally craved for is here). My question is Brian Westbrook, Buckhalter, Ryan Moates = 3 rbs. Eagles gonna carry 4? Will the Eagles use the same gameplan they did for Garci for Mcnabb or go back to 70% pass 30% run while misusing (if using at all) Tony Hunt who is the big RB who can move the chains, short yardage situations. Second day picks were blah...they drafted a TE as insurance for LJ Smith. I've seen highlights but reading up on him...he's no LJ.

Usually Eagles drafts over the years have some solid starters/players from it. Just lookin at it on paper I dont know about this draft but it has to have some. Guess in 2-3yrs we will see. Really dissapointing draft as an Eagles fan. They could have drafted Greg Olsen but again he costs first round money and his agent is DREW ROSENHAUS. I wanted Brandan Meriweather and 2nd Jon Beason. Missed both right before out picks. And why would you trade with Dallas who took a DE who both Levi Brown and Joe Thomas said was thier toughest opponent. Put him opposite DeMarcus Ware and omg. Kolb might be playing sooner than we expect when he gets hurt.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
-primetime-

Cowboys A+++++

they got Spencer to complement Ware, the player they had thier eyes on the whole time, yet Jerry still found a way to get him and take full advantage of the fact that Brady Quinn fell all the way to us....amazing, and Jerry is a genius, and the Cowboys will end up with a top 5 pick next year FOR FREE.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
Cowboys A+++++

they got Spencer to complement Ware, the player they had thier eyes on the whole time, yet Jerry still found a way to get him and take full advantage of the fact that Brady Quinn fell all the way to us....amazing, and Jerry is a genius, and the Cowboys will end up with a top 5 pick next year FOR FREE.

:rollingeyes:
Old 04-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
0ne50
Local High School Star

Gobb do you think the line is built for a pounding big back like that? How are the Eagles at receiver?

This year's draft was heavy on RBs and front 7 defensive players.

As for the Yamon Figurs pick. I don't know how that is going to work out. BJ Sams was going hard before he got hurt. I'm not sure if he'll come back healthy but his awareness level is what makes him valuable to this team. I like the pick though, how many team have depth in the Kick off/punt return department?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
Cowboys A+++++

I know you ae happy and all about a pick for NEXT YEAR. But what about this year. Other than a "complementary player" what else did they do for this year to make you grade them A++++?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Arizona, Atlanta, SF, Clev, Carolina are my only grade A's this draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
Gobb do you think the line is built for a pounding big back like that? How are the Eagles at receiver?

You talkin bout the OL? Hell year. Runyon was originally brought here because he was a good run blocker and Shawn Andrews = next Larry Allen. This team has the OL to run the ball, heck they proved it last season. I read an article where Reid said Tony Hunt and Buckhalter will compete for the backup role/complimentary player to Westbrook. So i guess they are keeping all 4.

Eagles at WR? Reggie Brown Kevin Curtis, Greg Lewis, Hank Baskett, Jason Avant, Bethel Johnson. Only thing I can say is the Eagles have been successful without a star studded WR core. But who is that red zone threat? Game breaker? Go to WR? Its supposed to be Reggie Browns but his hands are about as dependable as a dead beat dad. Has talent but ehhh the way I look at the Eagles passing game is it doesnt rely on the WR's much.

Westbrook, LJ Smith then WR's. When you look at it from that perspective its not bad. I wanted the Eagles to draft Robert Meacham. Eh, they are really high on Hank the tank Baskett. He has a huge frame and is fast. Avg over 21ypc last season.

Quote:
This year's draft was heavy on RBs and front 7 defensive players.

Yup and from reading articles the Eagles said this draft was solely depth where last years draft is who they are counting on. The rookies they took were DT Bunkley who they want starting at RDT. Omar Gaither and Gocong at the LB positions. And also want S Consadine. They are banking on these guys to fill in the holes or be the quality backups in the rotations. Thats what they are selling to the media and us fans.

I hope LB Takeo Spikes can be our Jevon Kearse/Darren Howard...guys who had injuries, got here and produced from the jump. Our LB's are suspect if our OLB cant rush the passer aka blitz then good luck.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Arizona, Atlanta, SF, Clev, Carolina are my only grade A's this draft.

You talkin bout the OL? Hell year. Runyon was originally brought here because he was a good run blocker and Shawn Andrews = next Larry Allen. This team has the OL to run the ball, heck they proved it last season. I read an article where Reid said Tony Hunt and Buckhalter will compete for the backup role/complimentary player to Westbrook. So i guess they are keeping all 4.

Eagles at WR? Reggie Brown Kevin Curtis, Greg Lewis, Hank Baskett, Jason Avant, Bethel Johnson. Only thing I can say is the Eagles have been successful without a star studded WR core. But who is that red zone threat? Game breaker? Go to WR? Its supposed to be Reggie Browns but his hands are about as dependable as a dead beat dad. Has talent but ehhh the way I look at the Eagles passing game is it doesnt rely on the WR's much.

Westbrook, LJ Smith then WR's. When you look at it from that perspective its not bad. I wanted the Eagles to draft Robert Meacham. Eh, they are really high on Hank the tank Baskett. He has a huge frame and is fast. Avg over 21ypc last season.

Yup and from reading articles the Eagles said this draft was solely depth where last years draft is who they are counting on. The rookies they took were DT Bunkley who they want starting at RDT. Omar Gaither and Gocong at the LB positions. And also want S Consadine. They are banking on these guys to fill in the holes or be the quality backups in the rotations. Thats what they are selling to the media and us fans.

I hope LB Takeo Spikes can be our Jevon Kearse/Darren Howard...guys who had injuries, got here and produced from the jump. Our LB's are suspect if our OLB cant rush the passer aka blitz then good luck.

As a Bengals fan, I miss having Takeo Spikes around. He plays with a lot of heart and passion for the game. Not to mention, he was really ****ing good.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
0ne50
Local High School Star

What I don't understand about the Eagles is they don't hold McNabb in the highest regard say like a Patriots organization does Brady or Colts does Manning, and so on... A few things stick out in my mind. First it was the Superbowl accusations TO made about Donovan, which lead to the TO/Mcnabb feud. It's like the team sat back and waited to see how far it would go before they stepped in and said McNabb's our guy FU TO. And then last year when the media tried to make a contoversy between Garcia and McNabb the organization let it fester a little too long also. Now they are drafting a QB with their first pick of the 2007 draft. Are these little subliminal messages to McNabb or something? From the outside looking in, I think he is a stand up guy. Good with the media, doesn't belittle teammates, stays out of trouble, and a helluva QB. Is he like some kind of a-hole on the low or something- and the team does these things to put him in his place. Or am I reading it wrong?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #11
AIR_ball_Jordan
High School JV MVP

Quote:
What I don't understand about the Eagles is they don't hold McNabb in the highest regard say like a Patriots organization does Brady or Colts does Manning, and so on... A few things stick out in my mind. First it was the Superbowl accusations TO made about Donovan, which lead to the TO/Mcnabb feud. It's like the team sat back and waited to see how far it would go before they stepped in and said McNabb's our guy FU TO. And then last year when the media tried to make a contoversy between Garcia and McNabb the organization let it fester a little too long also. Now they are drafting a QB with their first pick of the 2007 draft. Are these little subliminal messages to McNabb or something? From the outside looking in, I think he is a stand up guy. Good with the media, doesn't belittle teammates, stays out of trouble, and a helluva QB. Is he like some kind of a-hole on the low or something- and the team does these things to put him in his place. Or am I reading it wrong?

I am sure you just reading it wrong. They did let Garcia leave even after a nice second half season shows that they stand by McNabb to be their guy.
AIR_ball_Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #12
-primetime-

Quote:
I know you ae happy and all about a pick for NEXT YEAR. But what about this year. Other than a "complementary player" what else did they do for this year to make you grade them A++++?

I don't know how to grade the other players we got...aparently that O-lineman will be really good if he can put on 25 lbs.

all I know is that we got another Demarcus Ware type player to go on the other side as well as a top 5 pick for next year and no matter how bad we did in the later rounds the fact that we got a first round pick for next year FREE makes up for it
Old 04-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #13
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Every yr Dallas fans say they score a A in the draft.

But nah you're reading into that all wrong. Eagles are on Mcnabb's side. They favor him completely like NE and Indy does thier QBs. Them drafting a QB is what any team with a franchise QB on his last contract should do. You have to groom a replacement in a system that you cant just put a rookie in over night and expect progress. They have all the faith in the world for Mcnabb but at the same time they gotta be smart. They had to take a young QB this season.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:31 PM   #14
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Every yr Dallas fans say they score a A in the draft.

They had to take a young QB this season.

I give last years draft for the Cowboys a C

the past few years we have drafted pro-bowl calibre players though...

Roy Williams
Terrance Newman
Demarcus Ware

as for the Eagles "had" to take a QB????...what the hell are you talking about? they could have waited till the 3rd round or even later...in fact they could have waited another 3 years or later...if they just needed a back-up for McNabb then they could have snagged Troy Smith in the 4th
Old 04-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #15
krazy k
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Miami Dolphins: C+

Ted Ginn Jr has some potential, but we could have gotten Brady Quinn. Good thing we got John Beck in the 2nd.
krazy k is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: