Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #16
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The XFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
how well do you guys remember the XFL? I was a fan of it the first few weeks. I thought that it was a neat idea at first. The cute nicknames on the back of the jerseys, the team names, cheerleaders, QB calls being played on the stadium loudspeakers, the ball-chasing for the opening posession,etc. What are your lasting memories of the XFL?

"THIS..............IS.................THE XFL!!!!!!!!!!!!"
haha XFL was retarded
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Vince Mcmahon needs to bring back this league.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #18
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i wonder how much money he made or lost on the xfl
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #19
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I remember thinking ten minutes into the actual gameplay how much it sucked and how dissapointing that was.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #20
CelticBaller
lite kobe

CelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Vince Mcmahon needs to bring back the cheerleaders.
fixed
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #21
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
if I could find a He Hate Me jersey on ebay and wear it around town man............I would get so much p ussy that my dick would explode

mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #22
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

QUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this board

TOMMYMADDOX MAH FUKKAS
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #23
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Wow, mlh used to have some personality.

Now, he's as dry as abstinent cawk.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #24
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
Wow, mlh used to have some personality.

Now, he's as dry as abstinent cawk.

You gotta be kidding yourself if you think anyone on this forum is exactly as they were 5/6 years ago.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #25
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBynumProject
The XFL was AWFUL. NBC and Vince McMahon/WWE lost somehing like 70 million bucks on it...and it was only around 1 year. Talk about pathetic. Tommy Maddux is the only person who can say he's glad the XFL existed.

It actually wasn't awful.

No shit it started off kinda rocky, what else is expected about a new league and what was basically a new form of football. But things got better as the season went on. The quality of the play increased as the league, players and teams adjusted.

The main reason it flopped was because the NFL along with some media outlets conspired against it.

Who didn't wanna see some of the stuff that was going on?

Shit was actually very entertaining, but it was hard for them to compete vs an established league with history and ties to its community.

I think that if it lasted longer, it would've grown to give the NFL some competition. In time they would've eventually drawn big names to join the league, either NFL vets or college stars.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #26
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

xfl needed tebow
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #27
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

I think it would have lasted had it competed with the AFL and not the NFL. Yeah, other leagues merged with the NFL but that a in the early years.

USFL was really good, but couldn't compete.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #28
joe
College superstar

joe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputation

The fans are almost universally, unilaterally satisfied with the NFL product. Trying to compete with them in 2001 was silly.

In 2012, I actually see an opening. There's been some backlash against the NFL for softening the game. So let's say the NFL gets rid of the kickoff, continues to lessen the sports physicality, and gets hit with some lawsuits by former players. Now flash forward 15 years, couldn't you see an XFL type league popping up again? They can brand themselves as "real football," as opposed to the ever-softening NFL. They can make all players sign a contract, warning them that football is a dangerous game and that the XFL isn't legally liable for any health issues they incur, either during or after their playing career.

Then, this league can take a bunch of steps to satisfy the PC police. For instance:

-Devote a portion of all league earnings to offer health care to retired players. They can have standards for which players qualify, like guys who were model citizens and played in the league for 10+ years. And only to those who couldn't afford health care otherwise.
-Offer "Post Career Planning" services to all players. The league would help them set up retirement accounts, and to put aside money for post-career medical bills.
-They can put another portion of all league earnings into medical research, and keep every player up to date on their findings.

Okay, I'm ready to do this. What super rich ISH poster wants to invest in my idea ;)
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #29
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
The fans are almost universally, unilaterally satisfied with the NFL product. Trying to compete with them in 2001 was silly.

In 2012, I actually see an opening. There's been some backlash against the NFL for softening the game. So let's say the NFL gets rid of the kickoff, continues to lessen the sports physicality, and gets hit with some lawsuits by former players. Now flash forward 15 years, couldn't you see an XFL type league popping up again? They can brand themselves as "real football," as opposed to the ever-softening NFL. They can make all players sign a contract, warning them that football is a dangerous game and that the XFL isn't legally liable for any health issues they incur, either during or after their playing career.

Then, this league can take a bunch of steps to satisfy the PC police. For instance:

-Devote a portion of all league earnings to offer health care to retired players. They can have standards for which players qualify, like guys who were model citizens and played in the league for 10+ years. And only to those who couldn't afford health care otherwise.
-Offer "Post Career Planning" services to all players. The league would help them set up retirement accounts, and to put aside money for post-career medical bills.
-They can put another portion of all league earnings into medical research, and keep every player up to date on their findings.

Okay, I'm ready to do this. What super rich ISH poster wants to invest in my idea ;)

Here are the actual rules that were different from the XFL:

Quote:
The XFL, made a few rule changes to the professional rule book to spice up their games. The majority of the new rule were very noticeable..

There is no coin toss to determine which team will get the ball first. Instead of the coin toss, the action in the XFL will start before the game even kicks off. Player from each team will line up on the 35-yard line. The referee will blow the whistle and each player will dash to the 50-yard line where a ball will be placed. The team that recovers the ball has the choice to kick or receive.

Returning teams must run kickoffs back out of the end zone, unless the kick goes through the end zone.

The extra point will either be pass or run attempted only after a touchdown.

The ball spotted on the 2-yard line. Eliminating the extra-point attempt by the kicker.

Receivers needed only one foot inbounds for a pass reception.

Defensive players may use bump-and-run tactics on offensive players down the field. Changed back to NFL rule eliminating the bump-and-run only after 4 weeks.

Teams have 35 seconds to get a play off after previous play is ruled dead and 25 seconds following any clock stoppage.

Quarterbacks who slide can be downed just by contact and can't be hit.

No in the grasp rule, the play stops when forward progress is halted.

College football overtime system was used. In overtime, each team will have at least one possession, a maximum of four downs from the opposition's 20-yard line, unless a defensive touchdown is scored on the first possession. However, if the first team scores a touchdown in fewer than four downs, the second team only gets that many plays to respond.

Offensive back is allowed in motion toward line of scrimmage before ball is snapped.

No fair catches are permitted, but the returning player is granted a 5-yard protected halo where a member of the kicking team may not encroach until the ball is touched. The kicking team may not cross the line of scrimmage until the ball is punted. At the same time, any punt traveling more than 25 yards past the line of scrimmage is a live ball and can be recovered by either team.

These are some rules I'd like the NFL to implement in some manner.

And obviously the quality of play was sketchy at first, but what else did people expect for a new league with new rules? I'm sure that as it matured the quality of play would've increased (it was getting better as the season went on) and the rules would've made it more entertaining for the fans.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #30
joe
College superstar

joe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputationjoe has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
Here are the actual rules that were different from the XFL:

These are some rules I'd like the NFL to implement in some manner.

And obviously the quality of play was sketchy at first, but what else did people expect for a new league with new rules? I'm sure that as it matured the quality of play would've increased (it was getting better as the season went on) and the rules would've made it more entertaining for the fans.

Man those rules are awesome. I was really into the WWF when the XFL started (I was like 11) so I got really into that first season. I remember watching the playoffs and the championship and everything.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: