Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-04-2006, 12:12 AM   #16
cdot11
Peace.

cdot11 has an OK reputation so far

undrafted FA to 4 time DPOY = hardworker
cdot11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:12 AM   #17
305Baller
Maybe I'm a sophist.

305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board

Rodman Part 2.
305Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:13 AM   #18
joewait
National High School Star

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

This problem doesn't exist in tennis
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:13 AM   #19
KempSonics
Local High School Star

KempSonics has an OK reputation so far
Default ...

I know Vince meant a lot to Toronto but IMO not as much as Ben meant to Detroit. I have a friend who moved to Detroit and he says that Ben is revered there. People adore him. The Pistons are a phenomenon in Detroit. That city is in a bad economic slump with the auto industry. I think a lot of people there rely on sports as a stress buster. I think they sold out over 150 straight games. I don't even want to know what their fans are like right now. Probably in shock or depressed knowing that they'll never be the same.
KempSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:15 AM   #20
boshraptor4life
Good High School Starter

boshraptor4life has decent reputation

Tell me everyone else finds it absolutely ****ed that a player averaging 7.3ppg will earn 13 mil a year for the next 4 years. I know he rebounds, but wow. OVERPAID.
boshraptor4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:19 AM   #21
bk33
duck my sick

bk33 has decent reputation

so he has no loyalty coz he left for more money? what about the Piston management's loyalty, How long has Ben been underpaid now? he made the pistons what they are today and still not valued as much as by another team(bulls)?
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #22
SixerFan03
High School JV MVP

SixerFan03 has an OK reputation so far

I guess Wallace is really turning his back on the people who gave him a chance. But I would like to see him in Boston. It would shake things up a little bit.
SixerFan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #23
joewait
National High School Star

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

See, all my boys are loyal. No one wants to leave. if anything, they feel betrayed if they were to be traded.
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:26 AM   #24
houselog442
I airball my layups

houselog442 has an OK reputation so far

At least the contract he got may have been overpaid (it is) but its still better than that overrated, and now seriously overpaid contract of Peja! At least Ben Wallace shows up and plays when the playoffs come. Peja is going to be making almost the same money as Ben Wallace and i tell you, Wallace is worth it much more than the clutchless Peja!
houselog442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:30 AM   #25
Bosh4life
Local High School Star

Bosh4life has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempSonics
I know Vince meant a lot to Toronto but IMO not as much as Ben meant to Detroit. I have a friend who moved to Detroit and he says that Ben is revered there. People adore him. The Pistons are a phenomenon in Detroit. That city is in a bad economic slump with the auto industry. I think a lot of people there rely on sports as a stress buster. I think they sold out over 150 straight games. I don't even want to know what their fans are like right now. Probably in shock or depressed knowing that they'll never be the same.

I'm pretty sure I could make the same arguments with Vince in Toronto but i do not want to down play your situation here so I won't say much. Vince was absolutly adored, he made the raptors franchise, they would have probaly been moved by now if it were not for him. Vince brought basketball to Canada and popularized way beyond anything had been before. And even after he refused to dunk, all the fans stuck with him, we watched him play like a ***** game after game and supported him into the all star game, when he really shouldn't have went that year.

But you know what was the worst, he screwed over every single Toronto raptors fan who ever stuck with him. He proved to us his lack of motivation and respect for his team. And now he's having more success in a different city because he finally wants to try again. That is bullsh!t, you want to demand a trade go ahead and do but don't stop trying, because then we can't even get any value for you. So again he screwed us over because we got no young talent in return and got 3 players hwo didn't even want to play for us either in return

Ben Wallace did not **** you over that hard and i know that for a fact.

Oh i guess i did kind of go overbaord sorry about that.
Bosh4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:53 AM   #26
ADWCTA
Can barely lace up my sneakers

ADWCTA has an OK reputation so far
Exclamation Reality

Detriot was killing him all season long... do you guys follow the NBA or what? There was a 50/50 chance he was gonna be gone this offseason and with thier implosion v Miami it almost became a gaurentee. Chicago was the most logical suitor cuz they had money... I can't believe ya'll are acting so shocked about it.

Big Ben didn't leave Detriot for the money, he left for the respect. After you make your mark as 4 time Defensive POY, you know your value. Further, you know that Detriot's in a situation where they could have EASILY offered a larger contract... but what does the team that you've brought a championship to do? they lowball you. That's a **** move on Detriot's management's part. Go read some of Wallace's comments to the press and interviews after the offer was made and before he announced that he was joining the Bulls... that offer pissed him off not because of the money, but because of the respect.

Ben's also been peeved for a while this season about the new structure of the offense, you go read some of his comments during the time when the entire team was #1 in the league and everyone was gushing about the offense.... Ben was VERY quiet and non-commital. Read the signs. Regardless of what the fans wanted and what he meant to them and whatever, the team was slowly screwing over something good. You win a championship on Defense, with the Defensive POY and what do you do? You switch over to develope your offense. Then, you offer your star player a contract offer that was utterly demeaning (10k a year? I mean even Pryzb's gonna get 5-6k). That's a message, that's utter lack of respect. That pisses off a player with good solid values like Ben Wallace.

Ben Wallace is not what's wrong with the NBA. Detriot management is what's wrong with the NBA... and now they're just paying the price. Sorry if you're a Piston's fan, but someone messed up big time, and putting the blame on Ben Wallace is just the easy way out. Look harder at the situation. Look under the gilded polish. Something is wrong with the Detriot Piston... something that wasn't there this time last year.
ADWCTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:00 AM   #27
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewait
See, all my boys are loyal. No one wants to leave. if anything, they feel betrayed if they were to be traded.

So what happened with Steve Nash? Isn't he one of your boys? And explain to me what happened with "your boy" Michael Finley.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:14 AM   #28
bullsku23
Can barely lace up my sneakers

bullsku23 has an OK reputation so far

Ben Wallace took 12 million more dollars. Wheres the ****ing surprise? Look at Johnny Damon. How can you say no to 12 million more dollars? By the way, Bulls beat the Mavs in 7 next year.
bullsku23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:14 AM   #29
PleezeBelieve
Jay-A: Thats MR To You

PleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this boardPleezeBelieve has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Why do I have to hear the same overtly sentimental quabble everytime a big-name FA switches squads. It's obvious most of you don't have families because I'd love to be in the same room with you after you tell your wife and children you left 12 mill on the table due to your enlightened since of loyalty to an organization that stayed "loyal" to themselves by offer a club-friendly offer in the first place.

But....whatever. Some of you people need need to stop looking at these athlete's through fairytale glasses. They're people just as you are. No better, no worse.
PleezeBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:15 AM   #30
Rantallion
I Hit Open Layups

Rantallion has an OK reputation so far

Goddammit, the NBA is a business. Can't understand how people expect players to be loyal to their team, when it's plain to see that the teams aren't loyal to the players in return. Teams wanting to resign free agents will always try to low-ball them if it weren't for the fear of losing them to another team.

Using things like loyalty and such instead of good business sense will always get your fingers burned, whether you're a employer or employee.
Rantallion is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: