Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Article: Riverside Press Enterprise - Time for Future Considerations

Time for Future Considerations

12:20 AM PDT on Wednesday, May 2, 2007

By BRODERICK TURNER
The Press-Enterprise

EL SEGUNDO - They gathered for practice Tuesday, the Lakers knowing it could have been their last time together on their practice court this season.

Some decisions have to be made about where the Lakers will be headed.
Lakers coach Phil Jackson's representatives and LA general manager Mitch Kupchak agreed to continue contract extension talks after the season.

Jackson has one year left after this season on a three-year, $30 million deal that pays him $10 million per season.

Jackson has said his health is fine, so he has to decide if he wants to keep coaching a team that has been mediocre the past two seasons and may continue to be that way if the Lakers don't make substantial upgrades.

Five Lakers will become free agents at season's end.

Luke Walton wants to come back and probably will be asked to return.

He'll look to get a contract that pays about $5 million per season.

Chris Mihm missed the entire season after having two surgeries on his right ankle. Mihm said he wants to return but knows he won't get the $4.2 million he is earning this season.

Smush Parker probably won't be asked back. Shammond Williams has shown some promise, but he may go back to Europe and Aaron McKie probably will retire.

The Lakers also may be looking for assistant coaches.

Assistants Kurt Rambis, Brian Shaw and Jim Cleamons all have been mentioned as candidates for other job openings around the NBA. All three have come up as possible candidates for the opening with the Sacramento Kings.

New Point Man?

Jordan Farmar has started the past six games, including all four playoff games.

Farmar, a rookie, has struggled. He has averaged 5.3 points, is shooting just 36.4 percent from the field and hasn't done much to stop Steve Nash.
"I'm thinking about making a change," Jackson said.

Jackson said he might start Parker, Sasha Vujacic, Williams or Maurice Evans.

Numbers Game

Kobe Bryant, who is averaging 32.5 points per game in the series, needs four points to pass former Laker James Worthy for 17th on the NBA's career playoff scoring list.

Bryant, who is 8 for 20 from three-point range in the series, needs two three-pointers to surpass former Laker Derek Fisher for the most playoff three-pointers in franchise history.

Reach Broderick Turner at bturner@PE.com

Source:http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_lakers_notes_02.3e9a356.html

:Pimp:
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Re: Article: Riverside Press Enterprise - Time for Future Considerations

Very promising article.

The part that made me mad was when they said we were mediocre last season. Whoever thought that was mediocre can wipe my ass.

LOL @ Smush probably won't be asked back.

Luke Walton deserves 4.5 million and nothing more or less.

If Mihm wants to stay, resign him for 2 million. I really love Chris Mihm. I want him to stay as I know he is a much better center than Kwame Brown still. He's our most consistent one. Resign Mihm, trade Kwame.

Trade JF(not K) right now as he won't be the guard of our future.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Article: Riverside Press Enterprise - Time for Future Considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Very promising article.

The part that made me mad was when they said we were mediocre last season. Whoever thought that was mediocre can wipe my ass.

LOL @ Smush probably won't be asked back.

Luke Walton deserves 4.5 million and nothing more or less.

If Mihm wants to stay, resign him for 2 million. I really love Chris Mihm. I want him to stay as I know he is a much better center than Kwame Brown still. He's our most consistent one. Resign Mihm, trade Kwame.

Trade JF(not K) right now as he won't be the guard of our future.

Thats the freak we all know! Nice!

I would agree about Walton by the way... If the Lakers had a well balanced team, he would come off the bench IMO....

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #4
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

the key to next year is entirely Kwame Brown (his contract). What we do with him and his expiring contract is key to everything going forward.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: