Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lifting How to Start

So, I went from like 230 to 170's from March to October. I'm at a desired weight but at the moment im just skinny fat.

I run like an Hour everyday and I want to tone the body. Anyone know a sure fire way to start. I don't want to add bulk I just want to tone it and get a 6 pack if possible. I'm 6'3 and Black btw if that mattered.

I've never lifted. I tried doing it when I was losing weight but the amount of cardio I was doing made it impossible for me to do without feeling light headed.

Tips are welcome especially for a newbie.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Default Re: Lifting How to Start

Quote Originally Posted by !@#$%Vectors!@#
    So, I went from like 230 to 170's from March to October. I'm at a desired weight but at the moment im just skinny fat.

I run like an Hour everyday and I want to tone the body. Anyone know a sure fire way to start. I don't want to add bulk I just want to tone it and get a 6 pack if possible. I'm 6'3 and Black btw if that mattered.

I've never lifted. I tried doing it when I was losing weight but the amount of cardio I was doing made it impossible for me to do without feeling light headed.

Tips are welcome especially for a newbie.
    Not eating/drinking enough.

Do lots of body weight exercises. More weight you lift is more weight you gain.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Not eating/drinking enough.

Do lots of body weight exercises. More weight you lift is more weight you gain.
    how many calories should I be consuming? I burn like 800 from my cardio.

Banned

so many guides. which to follow and shit.

Monday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
    Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
    Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Good place to start...I'll also propose a variation of that workout above, based off what I did when I didn't have the setup to squat. I opted to do deficit dead lifts 3 days a week, doing a 5x5....I don't recommend that, but every other week maybe switch it to this

Monday
    3x5 Deadlift
    5x10 Dumbbell Lunges

Wednesday
    3x5 deadlift deficit

Friday
    3x5 Deadlift
    1x5 Squat

Also give this a read

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Summary_...onglifts_52155

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Monday
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)

Wednesday
    3x5 Squat
    1x5 Deadlift

Friday
    3x5 Squat

Good place to start...I'll also propose a variation of that workout above, based off what I did when I didn't have the setup to squat. I opted to do deficit dead lifts 3 days a week, doing a 5x5....I don't recommend that, but every other week maybe switch it to this

Monday
    3x5 Deadlift
    5x10 Dumbbell Lunges

Wednesday
    3x5 deadlift deficit

Friday
    3x5 Deadlift
    1x5 Squat

Also give this a read

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Summary_...onglifts_52155

Honest little secret. I don't think I can even do a pullup.

5-time NBA All-Star

As Kyrie said begin with calisthenics and then integrate deadlift and bench and press and heavy leg press. Assisted pull ups and rows.

You must be careful with squats and perfect the form.

Banned

damn
    you used to be FAT

Serious playground baller

oh god no, dont listen to the dweeb parroting rippetoe. every guy i've seen doing rippetoe type workouts is some fat looking dweeb whos never played a sport in their life. these phags also take like 10 minutes to rest between sets because their autistic about the actual weight lifted. unless u actually want to compete in powerlifting down the road, dont fukn do that.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatFanSince88
    oh god no, dont listen to the dweeb parroting rippetoe. every guy i've seen doing rippetoe type workouts is some fat looking dweeb whos never played a sport in their life. these phags also take like 10 minutes to rest between sets because their autistic about the actual weight lifted. unless u actually want to compete in powerlifting down the road, dont fukn do that.
    OP, don't bother listening to this moron.

Weighed 175 in the pic, and it was a month before I got my deadlift to 350. I started out with no posterior chain, and chicken legs coming off a sternum fracture that put me out of any physical activity for a loooong time.Will you see this type of progress? Maybe not, I went from untrained to between intermediate and advanced in 4 months...But if your goal is to get stronger, and you eat right while doing this it WILL happen.

I was imbalanced in the pic above because of not being able to follow the routine to a T, but a LOT of people follow and have success with this program. It's NOT just for people wanting to compete in power lifting. Warm up properly, look up proper form and ask someone to monitor it for you, and take your time adding weight. My goal is to deadlift 500-600 one day, but I always focus on form first. Lifting with my ego is what caused me to fracture my sternum years ago, and get a slight tear in my rotator cuff a month ago. Don't be like me

"How To" Deadlift

Deadlift Set-up and Body Shape

depends on your goals

my general advice

center your workouts around compound movements

supplement machine and isolation work with that

pause rep pretty much everything

try and do 2x more posterior chain work than anterior

depending on your training frequency/intensity and volume... general rule of thumb, hit a muscle group atleast twice a week

Here's an even more simplified guide

Do 100 total reps per week of combined squat and deadlift variations with a minimum load of 75% 1RM (squats, front squats, lunges, deadlifts, rack pulls, stiff legged deadlifts etc.). Follow any split you want as long as you get the 100 required reps in per week.*

Do at least 100 reps per week of total compound press variations (benches, shoulder presses, incline presses, dumbbell presses etc.)

Do at least 100 reps per week of total compound pull variations (pullups, bent rows, t-bar row, one arm dumbbell row etc.).

progressive overload

generally stay in the 5-10 rep range, so manipulate weight and rep volume to achieve progressive overload

strength is a big component for myofib muscle gains, but lose the powerlifter mentality and focus on rep quality

gain 2 pounds of scale weight a month

General pitfalls with jongib's rookie approach

physique will look shit

biceps will be lacking

quads will be lacking

extreme bar weight focus will create imbalances fast

AKA you'll find out whether your a tricep or chest guy from the bench really fast

We've all been in that beginner phase where jongib is now

There is no reason why you shouldn't be lifting balanced all round from the getgo

Trust me

I've been down that road, I know the faults very well

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    depends on your goals

my general advice

center your workouts around compound movements

supplement machine and isolation work with that

pause rep pretty much everything

try and do 2x more posterior chain work than anterior

depending on your training frequency/intensity and volume... general rule of thumb, hit a muscle group atleast twice a week

Here's an even more simplified guide

Do 100 total reps per week of combined squat and deadlift variations with a minimum load of 75% 1RM (squats, front squats, lunges, deadlifts, rack pulls, stiff legged deadlifts etc.). Follow any split you want as long as you get the 100 required reps in per week.*

Do at least 100 reps per week of total compound press variations (benches, shoulder presses, incline presses, dumbbell presses etc.)

Do at least 100 reps per week of total compound pull variations (pullups, bent rows, t-bar row, one arm dumbbell row etc.).

progressive overload

generally stay in the 5-10 rep range, so manipulate weight and rep volume to achieve progressive overload

strength is a big component for myofib muscle gains, but lose the powerlifter mentality and focus on rep quality

gain 2 pounds of scale weight a month

General pitfalls with jongib's rookie approach

physique will look shit

biceps will be lacking

quads will be lacking

extreme bar weight focus will create imbalances fast

AKA you'll find out whether your a tricep or chest guy from the bench really fast

We've all been in that beginner phase where jongib is now

There is no reason why you shouldn't be lifting balanced all round from the getgo

Trust me

I've been down that road, I know the faults very well
    My quads exploded with deficit dead lifts, and the chinups/pullups would help the arms a bit. But you're right in your advice about isolation exercises. His physique wouldn't look like shit, but I'll agree it wouldn't be what it could

For instance, I'm trying to get big arms again, I "run the rack" similar to what Arnold did

Good advice on the compound lifts, not so sure about the 100 rep a wek thing but I might give it a go. As you already know I've got a bum shoulder atm, so I just do 5x5 deficit dead lifts with 225. No pain, but I don't want ot risk it. Squatting bothers me atm, so I opt for dumbell squats, body squats, and dumbell lunges.

Deficit deadlifts are a terrible choice for beginners

Forget lifting if you don't even want to bulk.

Just do pull ups, dips and squats and you're golden.