Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #1
!@#$%Vectors!@#
Nanimosuruna, Kizaru
 
!@#$%Vectors!@#'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kizaru-Oops,you're Ben Beckman
Posts: 2,773
Default Lifting How to Start

So, I went from like 230 to 170's from March to October. I'm at a desired weight but at the moment im just skinny fat.

I run like an Hour everyday and I want to tone the body. Anyone know a sure fire way to start. I don't want to add bulk I just want to tone it and get a 6 pack if possible. I'm 6'3 and Black btw if that mattered.

I've never lifted. I tried doing it when I was losing weight but the amount of cardio I was doing made it impossible for me to do without feeling light headed.

Tips are welcome especially for a newbie.
!@#$%Vectors!@# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #2
KyrieTheFuture
NBA sixth man of the year
 
KyrieTheFuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,733
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%Vectors!@#
So, I went from like 230 to 170's from March to October. I'm at a desired weight but at the moment im just skinny fat.

I run like an Hour everyday and I want to tone the body. Anyone know a sure fire way to start. I don't want to add bulk I just want to tone it and get a 6 pack if possible. I'm 6'3 and Black btw if that mattered.

I've never lifted. I tried doing it when I was losing weight but the amount of cardio I was doing made it impossible for me to do without feeling light headed.

Tips are welcome especially for a newbie.
Not eating/drinking enough.

Do lots of body weight exercises. More weight you lift is more weight you gain.
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
!@#$%Vectors!@#
Nanimosuruna, Kizaru
 
!@#$%Vectors!@#'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kizaru-Oops,you're Ben Beckman
Posts: 2,773
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
Not eating/drinking enough.

Do lots of body weight exercises. More weight you lift is more weight you gain.

how many calories should I be consuming? I burn like 800 from my cardio.
!@#$%Vectors!@# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
outbreak
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,402
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+start+lifting+weights%3F
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:15 PM   #5
!@#$%Vectors!@#
Nanimosuruna, Kizaru
 
!@#$%Vectors!@#'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kizaru-Oops,you're Ben Beckman
Posts: 2,773
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak

so many guides. which to follow and shit.
!@#$%Vectors!@# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #6
jongib369
College superstar
 
jongib369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,434
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps


Good place to start...I'll also propose a variation of that workout above, based off what I did when I didn't have the setup to squat. I opted to do deficit dead lifts 3 days a week, doing a 5x5....I don't recommend that, but every other week maybe switch it to this

Monday
3x5 Deadlift
5x10 Dumbbell Lunges
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 deadlift deficit
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)


Friday
3x5 Deadlift
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
1x5 Squat
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps


Also give this a read

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Summary_...onglifts_52155
jongib369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
!@#$%Vectors!@#
Nanimosuruna, Kizaru
 
!@#$%Vectors!@#'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kizaru-Oops,you're Ben Beckman
Posts: 2,773
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongib369
Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps


Good place to start...I'll also propose a variation of that workout above, based off what I did when I didn't have the setup to squat. I opted to do deficit dead lifts 3 days a week, doing a 5x5....I don't recommend that, but every other week maybe switch it to this

Monday
3x5 Deadlift
5x10 Dumbbell Lunges
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 deadlift deficit
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)


Friday
3x5 Deadlift
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
1x5 Squat
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps


Also give this a read

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Summary_...onglifts_52155



Honest little secret. I don't think I can even do a pullup.
!@#$%Vectors!@# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #8
JEFFERSON MONEY
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10,281
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

As Kyrie said begin with calisthenics and then integrate deadlift and bench and press and heavy leg press. Assisted pull ups and rows.

You must be careful with squats and perfect the form.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
Count Dooku
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

damn
you used to be FAT
Count Dooku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #10
HeatFanSince88
Serious playground baller
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 427
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

oh god no, dont listen to the dweeb parroting rippetoe. every guy i've seen doing rippetoe type workouts is some fat looking dweeb whos never played a sport in their life. these phags also take like 10 minutes to rest between sets because their autistic about the actual weight lifted. unless u actually want to compete in powerlifting down the road, dont fukn do that.
HeatFanSince88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #11
jongib369
College superstar
 
jongib369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,434
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatFanSince88
oh god no, dont listen to the dweeb parroting rippetoe. every guy i've seen doing rippetoe type workouts is some fat looking dweeb whos never played a sport in their life. these phags also take like 10 minutes to rest between sets because their autistic about the actual weight lifted. unless u actually want to compete in powerlifting down the road, dont fukn do that.

OP, don't bother listening to this moron.



Weighed 175 in the pic, and it was a month before I got my deadlift to 350. I started out with no posterior chain, and chicken legs coming off a sternum fracture that put me out of any physical activity for a loooong time.Will you see this type of progress? Maybe not, I went from untrained to between intermediate and advanced in 4 months...But if your goal is to get stronger, and you eat right while doing this it WILL happen.

I was imbalanced in the pic above because of not being able to follow the routine to a T, but a LOT of people follow and have success with this program. It's NOT just for people wanting to compete in power lifting. Warm up properly, look up proper form and ask someone to monitor it for you, and take your time adding weight. My goal is to deadlift 500-600 one day, but I always focus on form first. Lifting with my ego is what caused me to fracture my sternum years ago, and get a slight tear in my rotator cuff a month ago. Don't be like me

"How To" Deadlift

Deadlift Set-up and Body Shape
jongib369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:57 PM   #12
Im Still Ballin
WoooOOOOooooooooo!!!!!
 
Im Still Ballin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,393
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

depends on your goals

my general advice

center your workouts around compound movements

supplement machine and isolation work with that

pause rep pretty much everything

try and do 2x more posterior chain work than anterior

depending on your training frequency/intensity and volume... general rule of thumb, hit a muscle group atleast twice a week

Here's an even more simplified guide

Do 100 total reps per week of combined squat and deadlift variations with a minimum load of 75% 1RM (squats, front squats, lunges, deadlifts, rack pulls, stiff legged deadlifts etc.). Follow any split you want as long as you get the 100 required reps in per week.*

Do at least 100 reps per week of total compound press variations (benches, shoulder presses, incline presses, dumbbell presses etc.)

Do at least 100 reps per week of total compound pull variations (pullups, bent rows, t-bar row, one arm dumbbell row etc.).

progressive overload

generally stay in the 5-10 rep range, so manipulate weight and rep volume to achieve progressive overload

strength is a big component for myofib muscle gains, but lose the powerlifter mentality and focus on rep quality

gain 2 pounds of scale weight a month

General pitfalls with jongib's rookie approach

physique will look shit

biceps will be lacking

quads will be lacking

extreme bar weight focus will create imbalances fast

AKA you'll find out whether your a tricep or chest guy from the bench really fast

We've all been in that beginner phase where jongib is now

There is no reason why you shouldn't be lifting balanced all round from the getgo

Trust me

I've been down that road, I know the faults very well
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #13
jongib369
College superstar
 
jongib369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,434
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
depends on your goals

my general advice

center your workouts around compound movements

supplement machine and isolation work with that

pause rep pretty much everything

try and do 2x more posterior chain work than anterior

depending on your training frequency/intensity and volume... general rule of thumb, hit a muscle group atleast twice a week

Here's an even more simplified guide

Do 100 total reps per week of combined squat and deadlift variations with a minimum load of 75% 1RM (squats, front squats, lunges, deadlifts, rack pulls, stiff legged deadlifts etc.). Follow any split you want as long as you get the 100 required reps in per week.*

Do at least 100 reps per week of total compound press variations (benches, shoulder presses, incline presses, dumbbell presses etc.)

Do at least 100 reps per week of total compound pull variations (pullups, bent rows, t-bar row, one arm dumbbell row etc.).

progressive overload

generally stay in the 5-10 rep range, so manipulate weight and rep volume to achieve progressive overload

strength is a big component for myofib muscle gains, but lose the powerlifter mentality and focus on rep quality

gain 2 pounds of scale weight a month

General pitfalls with jongib's rookie approach

physique will look shit

biceps will be lacking

quads will be lacking

extreme bar weight focus will create imbalances fast

AKA you'll find out whether your a tricep or chest guy from the bench really fast

We've all been in that beginner phase where jongib is now

There is no reason why you shouldn't be lifting balanced all round from the getgo

Trust me

I've been down that road, I know the faults very well
My quads exploded with deficit dead lifts, and the chinups/pullups would help the arms a bit. But you're right in your advice about isolation exercises. His physique wouldn't look like shit, but I'll agree it wouldn't be what it could

For instance, I'm trying to get big arms again, I "run the rack" similar to what Arnold did


Good advice on the compound lifts, not so sure about the 100 rep a wek thing but I might give it a go. As you already know I've got a bum shoulder atm, so I just do 5x5 deficit dead lifts with 225. No pain, but I don't want ot risk it. Squatting bothers me atm, so I opt for dumbell squats, body squats, and dumbell lunges.

jongib369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:11 PM   #14
Im Still Ballin
WoooOOOOooooooooo!!!!!
 
Im Still Ballin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,393
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

Deficit deadlifts are a terrible choice for beginners
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:15 PM   #15
fsvr54
Bitch Hands
 
fsvr54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,442
Default Re: Lifting How to Start

Forget lifting if you don't even want to bulk.

Just do pull ups, dips and squats and you're golden.
fsvr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy