Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-04-2007, 06:09 AM   #16
hateraid
Is it in you?

Default Re: Anxiety Issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Sucks man.. I get it really bad. I worry about ridiculous **** sometimes too. I've programmed myself to the point where I immediately assume the worst possible thing about every scenario.

*goes to grab something* "Omg, what if someone touched this and they have some weird illness and it ... <crazy ass scenario>"

*goes to eat something* "Omg, what if someone put something weird in this.. or it's got some weird bacteria.. like e.coli.. or.."

*goes to swallow* "Omg, what if I choke and I'm all alone and no one is there to help me?"

*goes to open door* "Omg, what if the door doesn't open and I can't get out.."

seriously, first time I had a panic attack at age 9.. I did not eat food for a week. No joke. I was so scared of choking.

I've been doing a few things that help, though. I can give you some recommendations. IM me if you wanna BS about ****.

That's crazy. No wonder I find you up late as the same time as me. But thanks bro, maybe I will hit you up.
I don't think my case scenerio is that bad, although I do have some mild paranoia. I may get recluse, but generally I try to talk myself out of it. But hey, i'll take any advice out there.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:09 AM   #17
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
ok...you're just fu-cked

Thanks for the kind words.

I guarantee almost every single person in here that has admitted to having anxiety can relate to at least 1 of those things. People with anxiety analyze EVERYTHING and have VERY vivid imaginations. It's how we keep our minds occupied.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:13 AM   #18
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
That's crazy. No wonder I find you up late as the same time as me. But thanks bro, maybe I will hit you up.
I don't think my case scenerio is that bad, although I do have some mild paranoia. I may get recluse, but generally I try to talk myself out of it. But hey, i'll take any advice out there.

When it comes to anxiety, seems like there's 2 branches:

1. People that are afraid of physical problems
2. People that are afraid of mental problems

Physical, like choking, heart attacks, etc
Mental problems like, "OMG, am I going crazy?"

I'd say most are related. It starts with fear of physical problems. Eventually you start feeling weird and disoriented ("feelings of unreality"), and you start thinking, "Am I crazy?"

The lady that started that program actually feared at several points that'd she kill someone. Or that'd she go crazy and jump off a building. Like if she was near a bridge, she'd worry, "OMG, what if I jumped off this bridge and killed myself?!"

Honestly, there's a lot of stuff I could relate, but part of the thing I've noticed about people with anxiety is when ever we discover something new or scary, we'll worry about it. So, for the sake of the people in here, I try not to mention too much.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 AM   #19
-primetime-

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words.

I guarantee almost every single person in here that has admitted to having anxiety can relate to at least 1 of those things. People with anxiety analyze EVERYTHING and have VERY vivid imaginations. It's how we keep our minds occupied.

I'm sorry

i have similiar problems...

i just cure it with alcohol

i know it isn't the best way...but it helps me
Old 05-04-2007, 06:18 AM   #20
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Quote:
I'm sorry

i have similiar problems...

i just cure it with alcohol

i know it isn't the best way...but it helps me

Alcohol is interesting how it cures anxiety because it actually causes anxiety. Two negatives equal a positive, I guess.

My uncle is the same way. (Anxiety runs in my family on both sides.) He's always sipping on a beer.

The only "cure" to anxiety is learning proper coping techniques. Once you learn how to cope, you don't fear anxiety. And when you don't fear anxiety, you don't have panic attacks.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:22 AM   #21
-primetime-

Quote:
Alcohol is interesting how it cures anxiety because it actually causes anxiety. Two negatives equal a positive, I guess.

My uncle is the same way. (Anxiety runs in my family on both sides.) He's always sipping on a beer.

The only "cure" to anxiety is learning proper coping techniques. Once you learn how to cope, you don't fear anxiety. And when you don't fear anxiety, you don't have panic attacks.

true words...

i have heard that exercise and a good diet cures everything

it is too bad I don't have the disiplin for that...

I get drunk...sleep...wake up in pain....drink....sleep...over and over...

and I am still alive...go figure
Old 05-04-2007, 06:26 AM   #22
pro5
Banned

everyone goes through anxiety a couple times throughout their lives. You just gotta stop feeling sorry for yourself and deal with it. Nobody can help you but yourself.
pro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:30 AM   #23
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Quote:
true words...

i have heard that exercise and a good diet cures everything

it is too bad I don't have the disiplin for that...

I get drunk...sleep...wake up in pain....drink....sleep...over and over...

and I am still alive...go figure

Changing my diet has helped with my anxieties. I feel more energetic. And happier, too. Part of the reason changing your diet helps is because people with anxieties notice changes in their blood sugar. Or maybe they don't notice it, but they notice their body feels differently all of the sudden, and it scares them.

Last edited by reppy : 05-04-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #24
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

anxiety and depression can lead to all kinds of diseases if you dont get it in control
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:00 AM   #25
Done_And_Done
D & D

Quote:
Changing my diet has helped with my anxieties. I feel more energetic. And happier, too. Part of the reason changing your diet helps is because people with anxieties notice changes in their blood sugar. Or maybe they don't notice it, but they notice their body feels differently all of the sudden, and it scares them.

First off, BIG RESPECT to everyone for integrating there own personal dilemmas/situations into the thread for I appreciate all your words deeply. I guess its just nice to know that im not fighting this uphill battle alone and there are indeed others I can communicate with who can comprehend with this issue.

Reppy, so enlighten me a little upon how youve changed your diet.
In terms of what you were munching on before and what you intake daily now to help your situation. I assume fresh fruits & veggies are key?

Thanx Enuff
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:10 AM   #26
ElPigto
*****istrator

I've had anxiety since I was 13 years old. I'm 19 now and have had a hard time dealing with such an embarrasing disorder. I guess I feel it's embarrasing because sometimes I get it at random times where my friends are near me or girls that I want to impress are by me and I have a hard time keeping my composure. I start loosing it to the point where I get chest pains for like three hours.

I been to the emergency room several times thinking I was going to die because of the chest pain. Through the years I've learned to just deal with it. I'm not a medicine guy and I suppose that is goign to hurt me in the long run, but I refuse to treat this with medicine. I want to try overcome it on my own and although I've had 6 years with this disorder, I feel I been doing much better, but of course sometimes it just gets out of control.

I recommend deep breathing exercises and staying away from things which would make you anxious. If you are unsure about something, just don't do it because it will trigger your anxiety after you do it. A simple example would be, I'm eating a burger, and I feel full, but I've only finished the burger halfway, I know I shouldn't eat it, but I still eat therefore now I feel worst and think about it too much then I become anxious. Simply staying away from scenarios that will make you anxious will make it much easier for you.

Something else that I tried in the past is getting some alka-seltzer, putting it in water and drinking it. I know this doesn't sound like much, but usually when your anxious you trigger your acids in the stomach and suddenly you get a lot of gas which could be the reason you feel pressure against your chest. Simply drinking an alka-seltzer extra strength will help you feel better and burping all that gas out will relieve you.

I know it's hard to overcome anxiety because I have yet to do it, but there are ways to just control it. You need to be self-concious that you won't die from shortness of breath or anything like that. If you know it's anxiety you gotta make yourself believe you are going to be alright. Just stop and sit and practice deep breathing exercises. I know it's hard and embarrasing at times but you'll be alright.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:19 AM   #27
The_Masterplan
Banned

I dont think I have any sort of anxiety. I live life really chill.

But its still interesting to see what kind of anxieties people have and makes me think "how the **** are you worried about that" but i always know some people are just like that. There is nothing you can do.

So i dont worry about it.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:23 AM   #28
The_Masterplan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
Yo man, no offense, but anxious people get pissed off when people tell them this. It's easier said than done when you deal with anxiety.

I wish I could jsut say, man I'm not worried about this, but you know in reality when you naturally worry about anything, it's just hard to go away from that.

I didnt tell anyone to just not worry about it. Thats all i say. I am aware people have those anxieties and thats why I DONT WORRY ABOUT IT because its just a little thing that they do that I really cant help with.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:26 AM   #29
ElPigto
*****istrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
I didnt tell anyone to just not worry about it. Thats all i say. I am aware people have those anxieties and thats why I DONT WORRY ABOUT IT because its just a little thing that they do that I really cant help with.

Oh okay, chilling, my bad.

I'll delete the post or whatever i said.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:28 AM   #30
The_Masterplan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
Oh okay, chilling, my bad.

I'll delete the post or whatever i said.

nah. It's cool. You just misunderstood what I was saying which is both our faults.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: