Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-08-2007, 01:02 AM   #31
-primetime-

Default Re: Anxiety Issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro5
everyone goes through anxiety a couple times throughout their lives. You just gotta stop feeling sorry for yourself and deal with it. Nobody can help you but yourself.

you are describing depression

anxiety and being depressed are two totally different things

you are right, everyone does get depressed at times and you have to move on

anxiety is something that for some of us is a daily battle...and it sucks

I have had several panic attacks...at one piont in time i was poping xanax on a daily basis...now i just take one anytime I start to feel a little axiety coming on and it goes away within 20 to 30 minutes...I know there are better ways to deal with it but so far so good for now...
Old 05-08-2007, 02:51 AM   #32
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
That's odd. I was born and raised Christian through high school, but now am Agnostic (although gradually approaching Atheist) and I feel much more at peace with myself and others.

probably because you felt guilty everytime you sinned, and now you just make your won rules
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:52 AM   #33
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done_And_Done
First off, BIG RESPECT to everyone for integrating there own personal dilemmas/situations into the thread for I appreciate all your words deeply. I guess its just nice to know that im not fighting this uphill battle alone and there are indeed others I can communicate with who can comprehend with this issue.

Reppy, so enlighten me a little upon how youve changed your diet.
In terms of what you were munching on before and what you intake daily now to help your situation. I assume fresh fruits & veggies are key?

Thanx Enuff

White bread is awful for you. Try to cut it out of your diet if you can. You really need lots of whole grains and oats. You want good carbs that will keep your energy levels sustained throughout the day.

Try not to go a long time without eating. This is something I need to work on, personally.

Anyways, I used to wake up.. not even eat breakfast.. goto work.. work 3-4 hours.. eat some random crap.. whatever felt good at the time.. Sometimes I'd just grab a couple of those little snack sized cheese sticks and eat those on my 10 minute break.

I used to goto this little gelato place down the street once or twice a week to get a blackberry Italian soda. Sometimes three times a week. It's OK every once in awhile to spoil yourself with sweets, but try to keep it to a minimum.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are good, too. Sometimes I just crave the crunch of fresh greens. This is another area I need to improve on, but I've started doing a lot better.

A day for me might look something like this:

Breakfast
3/4 cup oatmeal with honey or raisins (try to stay away from stuff with sugar added. if you can get a no sugar added jam, use that too)
A slice of toasted whole grain bread w/ peanut butter or a whole grain bagel w/ cream cheese
Glass of water
Vitamins

Lunch
A sandwich consisting of:
2 slices of whole grain bread
1 slice American cheese
Cranberry sauce
Cream cheese
Green leaf lettuce
Turkey slices
Tomato slices

That might sound kind of funky.. but don't knock it until you've tried it. The cranberry and cream cheese combination creates a really mellow flavor. It sits very well in your stomach.

Dinner
If my mom has prepared something, I eat it. If certain portions of the meal aren't very healthy, I'll cut back on them and compensate with more veggies or a salad on the side.

Snacking through the day
Pretzels
Celery with peanut butter
Baby carrots and light ranch dressing
A bagel with cream cheese
Apples, oranges, bananas, etc.

Every once in awhile.. it's OK to break down and have a sugary drink, some ice cream, order out for some pizza, etc. But don't make a habit out of it! In fact, I think if you eat a healthy diet consistently, you'll kind of be turned off after eating those kinds of foods. Or at the very least, you'll realize how tired and ****ty they make you feel.

If you do decide to start eating healthier, do the following things:

Make a physical or mental note of what you ate and when you ate it
Pay close attention to how you feel. Are you energetic? Happy? Find yourself just whistling to yourself? These are good signs that whatever you ate was a meal that will give you energy and leave you feeling content. Do you feel tired? Lethargic? Want to take a nap? If you eat something with a lot of starches or sugars in it, it's possible your blood sugar shot up high and now it has crashed.
How long until you're hungry again?

Also, I really do recommend you check out that "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" audio book. There's a torrent for it somewhere. If you can, make sure you set the first week's track and the relaxation tape to download first. Listen to the first week's track and you'll almost immediately feel better. Why? Because they explain the program, what it's for and talk to people with similar problems that have fixed them.

I know it certainly helped me. People with this type of anxiety tend to feel like they're all alone. "No one understands. I'm different. There's something wrong with me."

Again, if you ever need to BS about anything, don't hesitate to hit me on AIM. That goes for anyone. It's always good to talk with some other people that are going through the same ****.

Last edited by reppy : 05-08-2007 at 03:00 AM.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:56 AM   #34
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
you are describing depression

anxiety and being depressed are two totally different things

you are right, everyone does get depressed at times and you have to move on

anxiety is something that for some of us is a daily battle...and it sucks

I have had several panic attacks...at one piont in time i was poping xanax on a daily basis...now i just take one anytime I start to feel a little axiety coming on and it goes away within 20 to 30 minutes...I know there are better ways to deal with it but so far so good for now...

Anxiety and depression are very closely linked. Probably 90% of people with anxiety also suffer from some sort of depression. And why wouldn't you be depressed? Anxiety keeps you from doing the things you want to do.

During winter, I became extremely depressed. I was having anxieties all the time, at the worst times. The weather was awful (rainy, gray, etc). For some reason, my emotions were triggered very easily. My little brother would be watching Dragon Ball Z and they'd do some corny **** where some guy would do something heroic to save another person. And I'd be damn near like I was going to cry like I just saw the end of Saving Private Ryan or something.

It was pretty damn frustrating.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #35
Wizardly Cool

If you want to feel better - find Hydrocodone.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #36
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Anxiety is a b*tch

I think everyone has these issues in one way or another...

Imma worrier. I lay in bed at night and worry myself to death about my mother and her safety. She lives by herself and I often worry about her and if she'll be OK. I stress out over my sister and her kids... Alot of is just counter productive...

But I have learned to turn it into a positive... I know that at least in my paranoia I wont ever be caught off guard, so I embrace the paranoia and use it to prepare myself and other people for the worst...

If you can just manage your fears and keep them from controlling you, you can turn your anxiety into something that can work for you instead of against you
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #37
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardly Cool
If you want to feel better - find Hydrocodone.

I was loving that Vicodin last year when I broke my wrists, but man that stuff will mess your stomach up...

As for anxiety, I would say to just study a little on Cognitive Science. I believe Cognitive Behavior Therapy is part of treatment for people with chronic anxiety such as agoraphobics, etc.

Other than that just find some Zen.
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #38
Wizardly Cool

Quote:
I was loving that Vicodin last year when I broke my wrists, but man that stuff will mess your stomach up...

It never messed with my stomach. It will however screw up your liver if you abuse it. Still to this day, I can't piss right!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #39
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

my advice for anyone with anxiety is to smoke a bowl!!!
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #40
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

thats the worst thing you could do.... it'd just multiply your anxiety by ten...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #41
bk33
duck my sick

I didn't read all the posts but I'd assume a lot has already been said like diet and such, but I'd still like to point a few things out.

If you like any of the followings, write it down, put it somewhere you can see and repeat to yourself everyday.

I cannot stress more the importance of EXERCISE. Make that a priority, no excuses like no time no space. It's THAT helpful, it's like medication with positive side-effects.

Positive thinking, cruicial, it takes time but it'll build up and everyday you feel a lil more happier. Find books or audio programs on SELF-ESTEEM and self-confidence. Another thing you should do is to surround yourself with positive people, or if your best friend is negative, use him as a reminder to yourself, counter his negative thoughts, instead of letting him bring you down, you can instead pull him up. You can flip any statement into a positive one, ALWAYS.

Ok, so you have anxiety, use it to your advantage! There's two sides on everything, I see anxiety as a tradeoff for being uniquely intelligent. As someone pointed it out, we're probably the best analysts since we're analyzing ALL the time. See it as a strength and build on it. Look for jobs/career that let you capitalize on your strength.

Every curse is as much as a gift.

If you're going through hard times, see it as an opportunity. It's your chance to grow, to become tougher. Every obstacle in life is just a phase to make you a better person.Remember, experience isn't what happens to a man, it's what a man does with what happens to him.

If you'd like to talk more about it, feel free to drop me a message and we can go from there.

Last edited by bk33 : 05-08-2007 at 12:21 PM.
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #42
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman32
I feel for you bro. I get really bad anxiety every once in a while and it sucks. I cant eat and feel sick all the time. Working out and talking to family helps it out though. You should also disconnect from whoever is causing the anxiety if thast the case.

That's what the main cause of my problems were cured by, although everyone has different situations and scenarios, but if that is a possible solution (not for a full recovery, for a start) I sincerely suggest it.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #43
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life

that makes me even more paraniod
Old 05-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #44
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Weed actually really helped me with anxieties for awhile.

I remember my bro asked my doctor if weed was OK for people with anxieties. "Yeah, but some people can't handle it."

Picture of my family doctor. He's a big Grateful Dead fan.

Also, what bk33 said is exactly right. They spend a great deal of time teaching those positive habits and thinking in the "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" program.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #45
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

Do what Reppy says. With anxiety that I have (and its a problem sometimes:) I found that:

1) Exercising
2) Cutting cigarettes, drugs and alcohol
3) Eat Right
4) Think about your favorite things, like ISH
5) If you have trouble in situations (public, ect) start slow by taking walks in places like parks (or other open places with people) and then work yourself into other situations as you feel comfortable
6) Think positive
7) Surround yourself with positive people and things (if you hang with depressing people and in depressing situations, then you are just adding fuel to the fire)
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: