Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 07-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default NBA Live on Wii

Quote:
At this year's Pre-E3 event, EA showed off its premier build of NBA Live 08 that will be shown later this week during the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Santa Monica, CA. The game is still pretty early in development from what we've seen and played, but that didn't stop it from being a solid first step in a whole new direction for NBA Live.

As for the general controls, NBA Live is pretty straightforward. Players take to the court with any of the officially licensed NBA teams, selecting a Mii to act as your team indicator and motion icon tabs (just like Madden), and jump into a more arcade-like NBA experience. On the court, simple gestures take over for timed button presses, so when you shoot a jumpshot you'll actually flick the Wii-mote up, and then forward to release the ball. Do this with the right timing, and your accuracy will be increased. In addition to the jumpshot players can pass left or right with a flick of the Wii-mote, press A for a quick-pass to the nearest open player, perform a crossover dribble by flicking the nunchuk, or slam dunk with a twist of the Wii-mote. On defense, it's the classic control swap between shooting and blocking, passing and stealing, and the like. Flick up and down to jump and swat at balls, and move side to side with the Wii-mote to attempt a sweeping steal. The general pass button is replaced by a player switch function, and the rest of the controls are yet to be determined for the final version.

Since the game is still in its preliminary state there are some things missing right now. From what we could tell there was no way to call plays, set up picks, do alley-oops, or perform speed boosts or spin moves, but we're sure all this will factor in with time. As for what's there, it's extremely rewarding even in its most basic state. Yes, all the motions in the game act exactly like a button press (you won't be missing shots because you're not "shooting" properly with the Wii-mote, something we can only dream about for Wii's later years…), but it's still a great feeling to do the motion, sink a three-point shot, and leave your hands up in the air to rub it in a little while playing a human rival. We did it… we loved it… guilty as charged.

And while there may not be a ton to talk about yet as far as full game modes or "treats" that EA may include this year, we've got a few nuggets of goodness for both Wii and NBA lovers. For starters, local multiplayer will support up to four players, each using either advanced or family play controls. In addition, two games have been confirmed for party mode, including a three-point competition, as well as a dunk-off, where players will leap into the air and perform specific Wii motions to pull off a wide array of dunks. Those are the only two currently announced, but if NBA Live turns out to be anything like Madden you can expect a plethora of mini-game support, now or in the future.

Where NBA Live 08 really sold us, however, was in the online portion of the package. Details are still pretty sparse due to the game's level of completion, but EA did share an interesting note with us. NBA Live 08 supports console vs. console play, which means up to eight players can go online and face off against each other. Since there are only two Wii systems connecting, EA treats it as a "team vs. team" situation, so you can play online with either one, two, three, or four controllers supported on each console. There were also rumblings that once connected, consoles could actually change players on each team; so you could go online with a group and then trade players pre-game and do a little mixed online competition. We'll wait to see that one in practice, but according to EA it's entirely plausible. Regardless, four-on-four online is confirmed, so get your teams ready, organize tournaments on the message boards, and kick a little ass via eight player online.

From what we've seen thus far NBA Live 08 is a pretty solid effort. Mii integration is everywhere, so you'll see your user-created faces showing up during the game for huge blocks, steals, dunks, or three-pointers, and during halftime for stat reports. The game's visual presentation is about in line with what we saw in NBA Live 07 on PS2, with maybe a bit more attention to detail in the character models (too early to give a final word graphically). The game is still a bit buggy right now, as AI players struggle to find positions on the court or little graphical issues pop up during play, but it's all par for the course when looking at unfinished games, so we're not sweating it. In general the gameplay moves at a more arcade-like pace, similar to Madden's transition to Wii, and the motion controls - while somewhat limited - are still very rewarding. We're still very curious to see how EA incorporates motion into the free-throw system though, and we of course expect to see more depth (roster management, season/franchise mode, create-a-player, and the like) included as the game progresses.

link

Sounds like it could actually be pretty fun to play. I did like the way EA did the Wii Madden and if this thing is online it's gonna kick some ass. The bit about the graphics worries me. Even though they say its early in the build, this is lazy ass EA we are talking about here. They are the kings of doing just well enough when just a bit more spit and polish would put it over the top. I doubt the graphics will even be XBox level with how lazy EA usually is. But again, if its as fun to play as the Wii Madden, I'll be buying this series. At least until 2K starts doing Wii NBA.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
Big One
Local High School Star

Big One has decent reputation
Default Re: NBA Live on Wii

sounds good thus far, i will probably be buying this as well i just hope the graphics aren't too bad or else i'm just going to buy live for the ps3.
Big One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

That's it I'm getting a Wii.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I will be forced to get Live since all I have is Wii so hopefully its good.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

Great next if they make 2k for Wii that is my new system for sure.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
silencespeak
Chicken Parm

silencespeak has an OK reputation so far

I love my wii, such a great fun investment.
silencespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
The Hurricane
Banned

The Hurricane has an OK reputation so far

I tried to play Madden on Wii and sorry, the new controls dont make up for the missed HD Graphics....
The Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencespeak
I love my wii, such a great fun investment.

im getting one this holiday season after Marion comes out...Then I'll have all the games I want..I'll get Mario, Smas Brothers, Metroid and Zelda... Thats all the games I need for like 2 years.....

Any1 surprised that NBA2k8 wasnt at E3 or at least I couldnt find ny info...
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 PM   #9
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah 2k8 isn't coming out for Wii. I wish it was but i can live with playing it on PS2 for another year
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #10
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Yeah 2k8 isn't coming out for Wii. I wish it was but i can live with playing it on PS2 for another year
Yeah, me too. Ignore my previous post.

F*ck Wii.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:04 PM   #11
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I love my PS3 but damn...I'm feeling like I'm missing out.

That's it. I'm getting a Wii as well.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:38 PM   #12
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

I have a 360, but I really want a Wii and may buy myself one this month.

I think the Wii is a system all about fun and gameplay, and that's what I look for in my video game. Im still amazed at how the PS2 looks and Im sure they can gradually grow just like all other systems have into a pretty solid device for graphics, i think they're worried more about gameplay right now too as they're just putting out their first batch of games.

I mean the 360's main improvement is just the graphics,pretty much plays the same as the original. Ps3 has a little motion thing in the controller, but the Wii is a totally new type of gameplay with good enough graphics and hundreds of dollars cheaper. And if they come out with a fightnight for Wii it will certainly be mine.

As long as the graphics are in 3d and look relatively realistic I can live with it as long as the game is fun. I don't NEED to see video games that look like Im watching television.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:41 PM   #13
VeeCee15
Great young streetballer

VeeCee15 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Buy a Wii, best system out by far.
VeeCee15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 PM   #14
clayton
Banned

clayton is considered somewhat coolclayton is considered somewhat coolclayton is considered somewhat cool

XBOX360, best current and upcoming games.
clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:48 PM   #15
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

I'll ask for one for xmas prob.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: