Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Changing the world?

http://break.com/watch/192055/This_will_save_the_earth/

If this becomes a mass produced process, it could change the entire world. But as a welder (certified, but not my daily job) and a muscle car enthusiast, I am interested, but sceptical.

Everything he showed there involved cutting metal. Where was the "welding" they were talking about? Welding is the bonding of two metals.

Also, concerning his prototype vehicle.... lots of people talk about hybrids, alternative fuel vehicles, and now this.

But will they ever be able to give the same performance of the gas sucking v8 that powers all the SUV's and trucks that are on the road right now?

What about the powerful diesel engines?

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Changing the world?

If people really want to 'save the world' they need to stop putting emphasis on vehicular performance. And that just won't happen in the foreseeable future, everyone wants their car to be the biggest/best/most powerful.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Changing the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
If people really want to 'save the world' they need to stop putting emphasis on vehicular performance. And that just won't happen in the foreseeable future, everyone wants their car to be the biggest/best/most powerful.

I dunno about it being that extreme... Certainly there is the "car guy" percentage of the population who sees these new engine designs as a threat to their hobby. I know I do. I see them doing something simliar to what they have done with motorcycles in that you can only build two customs in your lifetime (or maybe it's 1, I forget). But the question is, will they ever be able to enforce it. Also, the law states you can't build a custom over your alloted amount, but there's nothing that says you can't modify an existing chassis.

But that's neither here nor there right now.

I agree about what you're saying about it happening in the foreseable future.

I watched some of the shows on Discovery about prototype vehicles, and it seems like there is a flaw with each of them. Some of them take too long to refine the fuel source. Others are too heavy a design.

Also, why can't they build an emissions friendly vehicle that doesn't LOOK like crap?

Have you ever seen some of those "electric cars"? Who is going to be seen driving those things?

But I find this guy's design interesting in that it uses just water! I mean if it can be made to use salt water, then hell, it's an almost limitless resource.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: