Colabello will lose US$227,891 of his $521,126 major league salary.
Colabello said he was mystified by the positive test, which mlb.com said was for the steroid dehydrochlormethyltestosterone.
“On March 13, I got one of the scariest and most definitely the least expected phone calls of my entire life,” he said in a statement issued Friday by the MLBPA. “I was informed by the PA that a banned substance was found in my urine. I have spent every waking moment since that day trying to find an answer as to why or how? The only thing I know is that I would never compromise the integrity of the game of baseball. I love this game too much! I care too deeply about it.
Colabello is the 6th player suspended this year under the MLB drug program. Mets reliever Jenrry Mejia received a permanent ban following a 3rd positive test, & Cleveland outfielder Abraham Almonte, Cincinnati outfielder Juan Duran, free-agent catcher Taylor Teagarden & Stumpf were suspended for 80 games each.
Colabello is batting just .069 this year. But he was a key contributor to the Jays last season when he hit .321 with 15 home runs and 54 RBIs.
The 6'4, 210-pounder came to the big leagues the long way, playing in the independent leagues with Worcester & Nashua from 2005 to 2011.
"While 2 consecutive postseason berths has to be appreciated after the organization went more than 2 decades without one prior to last year’s run to the ALCS, a wild-card berth falls short of preseason expectations."