Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-06-2007, 04:47 AM   #61
elementally morale
College superstar

elementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Admin please ban the following

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
Man how can I get that few extra inches I need to get dunking. I'm 5'7 1/2" like I said earlier, and I'm just like 1 inch from touching the rim. I want to be able to dunk it though, so what can I do to give me those extra inches, any advice?

Yes. I have a program that will add 8 inches to your vertical in 2-3-4 months. You have to do it EVERY day though, at least twice. Takes like 20 minutes each time. But it works.
elementally morale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:49 AM   #62
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Man how can I get that few extra inches I need to get dunking. I'm 5'7 1/2" like I said earlier, and I'm just like 1 inch from touching the rim. I want to be able to dunk it though, so what can I do to give me those extra inches, any advice?

At 5'7" you need to be black with insane natural athleticism. Sorry that's the harsh reality of it.

I don't see many shorties like you throwing down.... I've seen about 2 guys under 5'9" dunking in my life*, they were both Island boys.

*I'm not including NBAers.
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:51 AM   #63
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You could always do that crazy operation where they break your legs then stretch them out.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:52 AM   #64
elementally morale
College superstar

elementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Cedric
At 5'7" you need to be black with insane natural athleticism. Sorry that's the harsh reality of it.

I don't see many shorties like you throwing down.... I've seen about 2 guys under 5'9" dunking in my life*, they were both Island boys.

I had a 5'10 teammate (white) who could do it. He trained for 2 years though under organized circumstances. He was an extremely talented PG. Blew his knees.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:53 AM   #65
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Hah, I'm Mexican. I feel I can get there though. Hopefully one day I can post a video of me dunking.

It's a longshot, but I still got some years left in these knees.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:56 AM   #66
elementally morale
College superstar

Quote:
Hah, I'm Mexican. I feel I can get there though. Hopefully one day I can post a video of me dunking.

It's a longshot, but I still got some years left in these knees.

How old are you? You might be better off if you learn photoshop and other Adobe products for that video...
Old 05-06-2007, 04:57 AM   #67
SomeBunghole
Banned

SomeBunghole has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Brutal, hard work.

The issue isn't simply gaining a few inches of vertical, it's also keeping it. At 5'7, you're unlikely to ever get to a point where you can easily dunk with inches to spare, so you'll always be in a situation where you can dunk, but if you don't go to the gym for a few weeks, you won't be able to.

As for how to do it, here's a few tips that helped me.

1. Never, EVER, trust anything you have to pay for. Springs on one's shoes tend to be frowned upon in most organized basketball leagues that I know of, and if you can't dunk in 15 dollar shoes, you can't dunk in 150 dollar shoes.

2. Any instructional videos you can buy offer little more than information available freely on the internet.

3. You will need at least 3-4 weeks to see improvement in your vertical, and depending on your height and starting vertical, possibly 3-4 months to dunk.

4. It's as I mentioned, tough. The exercises for this are very specific, so they come on top of your regular stuff. Meaning that you'll probably be increasing the amount of time you spend in the gym, as opposed to simply redirecting it.

5. Soreness and fatigue are normal, sharp or acute pain is NOT. Plyometrics are really hard on your muscles, and you can tear them easily. You have to be patient and restrict the amount of exercise to a safe maximum. Increasing the amount of plyometrics you do will not make you dunk faster. It'll just f*ck up your legs.

As I said, the internet is full of good resources, so do a google search. Here's a website that at a cursory glance seems to offer a decent training regimen. Again, if you do this, make sure you follow instructions. Also, restrict plyometrics to maybe 3-4 times a week.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5634_increas...ical-leap.html
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:57 AM   #68
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementally morale
How old are you? You might be better off if you learn photoshop and other Adobe products for that video...

19. Bastard, .
Old 05-06-2007, 04:59 AM   #69
KIWI

Quote:

hey ced ive seen allot of my island brothers down here in Sth Auckland they can jump out the building but come game time they're seriously exposed
Old 05-06-2007, 04:59 AM   #70
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

I'll get a vid of me throwing it down and post it on here. I'm around 5'11
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:02 AM   #71
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
I'll get a vid of me throwing it down and post it on here. I'm around 5'11
Throw it down bigman, throw it down.

In my old basketball team when I was 14 we had a guy who could dunk. We all thought he was just the coolest guy ever because of it.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:05 AM   #72
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

dang pigto 5'8 and you're going for the dunk? best of luck on that dude I'm 6'0 can barely get a knuckle on the rim.

I can't do plyos, there's something wrong with my legs and when I try them, after a week or 2 I get serious pain above my shin on the inside of my leg and have to stop. I don't even overwork, or at least I don't think I do.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:07 AM   #73
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI
hey ced ive seen allot of my island brothers down here in Sth Auckland they can jump out the building but come game time they're seriously exposed

The NZ equivalent of street ballers. I've seen many down south too. But dunking at 5'9" and under is dificult, they have smaller hands and that means they have to jump that bit higher.
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:08 AM   #74
SirPresident
I hit open 5-footers

SirPresident has an OK reputation so far

Not trying to ruin your dreams, but an inch for touching the rim is still A LONG way drunk dunking. Especailly if you can't palm the ball (i am gona assume at 5'7 you have small hands and can't dunk), now it can be done but your gona need to get like 5-6 inchs ABOVE the rim, at least. I could get like 4-5 above and could dunk a vollyball but never properly dunk a basketball... i doubt i can even do the vollyball anymore to be honest...
SirPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:09 AM   #75
ElPigto
*****istrator

Quote:
The NZ equivalent of street ballers. I've seen many down south too. But dunking at 5'9" and under is dificult, they have smaller hands and that means they have to jump that bit higher.

Yep, my hands are puny. *sigh*
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: