Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 04-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default 2016- Yet another long off-season

I expect some movement this year
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
Xiao Yao You

Default Re: 2016- Yet another long off-season

At Thursday’s season-ending press conference, general manager Dennis Lindsey revealed that the Jazz did come close to making a deal at the February trade deadline. “We had two particular deals proposed to us that we said yes to,” he said. “They were more short-term-oriented and I was willing to give up a first-round pick, multiple picks, a very significant salary slot because we had built that into the equation. “But for whatever reason, we weren’t able to consummate it. I’ve got to go through all those postmortems and see if there was something else that would have allowed us to augment the team where we knew it needed to be augmented.”
– via Deseret News

The Jazz did get Shelvin Mack in a trade that only cost the Jazz a second-round choice, and Lindsey said the Jazz “did fairly well” with that trade. “If there’s one criticism you could make, that’s fair, is that we err toward chemistry, continuity and continued development because we felt like the players and the coaching staff showed great progress,” Lindsey said. “But the opportunity cost of that is ‘was there a veteran that could have helped us stabilize?”
– via Deseret News
Old 04-15-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
The Jazz hold a team option on Mack for next season, which they are expected to pick up, especially since Mack played well — for the most part — in a Jazz uniform. General manager Dennis Lindsey and coach Quin Snyder both said they were happy with Mack, and what he provided during his first two months in Utah.
– via Salt Lake Tribune

no brainer

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 04-15-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
Xiao Yao You

Tony Jones: Dennis Lindsey said he may use draft picks to attain a veteran, if opportunity arises
– via Twitter Tjonessltrib
Old 04-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
Xiao Yao You

Jody Genessy: Dante Exum has started sprinting. Contact in June. He won’t be playing with the Jazz in summer league.
– via Twitter DJJazzyJody
Old 04-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #6
WayOfWade

Well this is gonna suck. Jazz better get themselves together for next year, no more excuses, things are going to get pricey. As for Exum, good that he's finally sprinting, I honestly don't think he should do anything this summer other than get ready; no summer league, no olympics, nothing
Old 04-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
WayOfWad3
ISH >>>

^
Well that sucked. Anyways…
http://www.sltrib.com/home/3799218-1...les-rise-makes
This article just shows how Lyles is going to make Booker kind of obsolete, but I'm kind of shifting to your idea of him replacing even Favors. He spaces the floor more, he's younger, undoubtedly hungry, and in the last few games of the year the commentators were all noting how Favors seemed kind of disinterested. Granted he was injured, but that is an interesting note to make.
WayOfWad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #8
Xiao Yao You

I certainly don't think it makes Booker obsolete. He'd be a great guy to have at the end of the bench when you need some energy.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:46 PM   #9
WayOfWad3
ISH >>>

Agreed, the article was just hinting to that a bit. I love Booker though, he's just one of those guys that any team can use and only helps out
Old 04-20-2016, 09:32 PM   #10
Xiao Yao You

He did make Withey obsolete for unknown reasons.

I thought we had a new poster. Just saw they deleted your account. Prefer the Gobert Report though.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:19 PM   #11
Xiao Yao You

https://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/...in-and-dennis/

sounds like the tanking is over and they are ready to try to win as much as possible. Don't think they have any choice with Hayward's opt out and now Mack too.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:32 PM   #12
Xiao Yao You

https://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/...ick-and-dirty/

Quote:
Locke: You have gained how much weight?
Ingles: [high-pitched squeal] I’m so glad I’m here for this.
Exum: I’ve only gained, like, 10 pounds. Which is good, like —
Ingles: Good 10 pounds or a bad 10 pounds?
Exum: It’s good 10 pounds. You know, all muscle. All I could do was lift…At this time, I’m most definitely stronger than Joe, so I could play one through three.

I hope it's muscle. He looked fat last summer and I think it could have contributed to his injuries.

He also mentions playing 1 through 3 which is what I figured could happen with his size, length and skill. He, Neto and Mack could all be in the rotation.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:38 PM   #13
Xiao Yao You

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ideo.html?pg=2

Quote:
“We’re not going to sit here and alibi. Every single sports team has injuries,” Lindsey said. “Ultimately, I’m most responsible — not Quin, not the coaches, not the players — relative to roster construction.”

Yep but Quin not playing Withey certainly cost you the playoffs as well.

Quote:
The team did, however, win a couple of more games than the year before, continuing a rebuilding process that began with the dreadful 25-win 2013-14 season.

Hope still accompanies the bitter ending.

“This season was quite unique," Lindsey said. "It’s hard to say that we’re disappointed when your point differential (+1.8) is better, your record is better, to a man all of our players improved individually. We moved from 12th to seventh in defensive efficiency.”
It's a step back after the way they ended last season.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:13 PM   #14
Xiao Yao You

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...roup.html?pg=2

Quote:
The Jazz hope their inconsistent point guard play will be improved with the reintegration of Exum into the lineup, with Mack and Neto likely providing backup minutes.

I can't see Mack being benched unless someone beats him out and Exum as a rookie wasn't better than Mack was after they got him.

Quote:
Snyder related an experience from this past season when directly asked that this past week. He credited assistant Igor Kokoskov for making a suggestion with about 18 games remaining that the Jazz should up its focus from a rebuild-centric progress mode to shoot-for-the-playoffs win mode.

“It was really healthy for our team to challenge ourselves, particularly in that last stretch, because I felt like we had made enough progress where we could compete realistically,” Snyder said. “We set that goal: ‘Let’s talk about winning.’”
Sad that winning wasn't talked about after the way they finished last year

Quote:
“If we could make the playoffs, I’d like to be the fifth seed instead of the eighth seed,” he said. “You want to be as good as your team can potentially be.”

You would have been if Withey had played
Old 04-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #15
WayOfWad3
ISH >>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
https://jazzfanatical.wordpress.com/...in-and-dennis/

sounds like the tanking is over and they are ready to try to win as much as possible. Don't think they have any choice with Hayward's opt out and now Mack too.
I certainly hope so, can't take much more of these BS seasons. What I want to see is if Hayward is a part of their longterm plans or not. He's going to get paid, we'll just see if it's the Jazz doing the paying or not.

Quote:
The Jazz hope their inconsistent point guard play will be improved with the reintegration of Exum into the lineup, with Mack and Neto likely providing backup minutes.
Like the other quote said where Exum could play 1-3, that seems ideal with Exum back in case Burks gets injured or if he actually proves to be a better option than Mack and/or Neto
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: