Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 06-25-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool
Default The Utah Jazz and White People

According to http://www.villagevoice.com/news/000...o,12566,3.html white people make up 21% of the NBA, which is an average of 2.5 white people per team. Before I go any further, let's take a look at the Utah Jazz rosters over the past 10 years.

2005: Okur+Kirilenko+Harpring+Giricek+Ostertag+Humphries = 6
2004: Harpring+Giricek+Kirilenko+Borchardt+Humphries+Lop ez+Handlogten = 7
2003: Kirilenko+Lopez+Ostertag+Harpring+Pavlovic+Giricek +Gugliotta+Handlogten = 8
2002: Harpring+Kirilenko+Stockton+Padgett+Ostertag = 5
2001: Stockton+Kirilenko+Padgett+Crotty+Ostertag+LaRue = 6
2000: Stockton+Ostertag+Crotty+Padgett = 4
1999: Stockton+Hornacek+Ostertag+Keefe+Padgett+Chilcutt = 6
1998: Hornacek+Stockton+Ostertag+Keefe+Fuller+Foster = 6
1997: Hornacek+Stockton+Keefe+Foster+Ostertag = 5

Over the past 10 years, the Jazz only once had a roster that didn't contain double the league's average of white people. At what point are we allowed to point fingers and say that this is intentional? After all, Salt Lake City is 93% white, and more than 70% of those whites are Mormon - a religion that has historically believed that black people did not choose sides between Jesus and Satan in the beginning of time (in 1978, the Mormon church decided to allow blacks to join, but they have never officially rescinded the claim that they are cursed).

Do you think there will ever come a time when Utah's roster will include a demographic makeup that is more in line with the league average? In a situation as unique as a basketball roster, how big a sample size is needed before it's no longer a coincidence? Is my 10 years enough, or must we go back further?
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:39 AM   #2
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Utah is becoming a very diverse state because of the missions of the Morman Church.

There are a lot of people from across the world that live there now.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
Utah is becoming a very diverse state because of the missions of the Morman Church.

There are a lot of people from across the world that live there now.
Get out of here with your pro-mormon BS. It's 95% white according to utah.gov.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:56 AM   #4
Yes!Andthefoul
I airball my layups

Yes!Andthefoul has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
White people = less ego and attitude to deal with.

Really?

Larry Bird, the Great White Hope, had a bit of an ego and attitude problem, as I recall.

Don't stereotype...it only serves to make you look intellectually inferior.
Yes!Andthefoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:57 AM   #5
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

A Roc 23 has decent reputationA Roc 23 has decent reputation

In 2003 they had 8 white players.

That can't be a coincidence.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:58 AM   #6
Bill Swerski

All people of Earth have Ego & attitude...

White people are just very quiet and secretive about theirs.

I feel you, they purposely do it to sell tickets.

It's way obvious.

People think Mehmet Okur is white out there...
Old 06-25-2006, 12:58 AM   #7
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
(in 1978, the Mormon church decided to allow blacks to join, but they have never officially rescinded the claim that they are cursed).

Get cho facts straight, sucka! Blacks were allowed to join. Freed slaves joined the Mormon religion. They weren't allowed to hold the Priesthood until 1978.

A very key difference!

Also, if I recall, the "curse was lifted" but the belief that a curse existed at one point is still believed.

Oh, and as for the topic at hand.. haven't Jazz actually drafted more black players than white players? I recall a discussion about this a long time ago.

http://www.databasebasketball.com/dr...tm?tm=UTA&lg=N

I also think Utah was voted by players to be the place they'd least like to play at.

Last edited by reppy : 06-25-2006 at 01:02 AM.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:59 AM   #8
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

Not counting the out of status Hispanics and other out of status aliens who are living in Utah.

The Governor of Utah recently had a good meeting with Vincente Fox.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:01 AM   #9
adamcz
Bucks fan

Whatever, 1978 was the year that they stopped talking openly about blacks being cursed, though they have never officially taken it back. Point is, Utah is more racist than your average state.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:02 AM   #10
Bill Swerski

It is true Mormons believe the blood of Kane/Abel (which one?)...

...is cursed.

That is likely due to a few racists being in the building, when they cooked up the whole faith a few hundred years back.

I know this for a fact. I dated a Mormon girl in HS, when she was rebelling like a MF!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 01:02 AM   #11
albertpujols
High School Varsity 6th Man

albertpujols has no real reputation yet.

Lol, I knew there was something different about that team... Just could'nt pinpoint it.
albertpujols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:08 AM   #12
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Whatever, 1978 was the year that they stopped talking openly about blacks being cursed, though they have never officially taken it back. Point is, Utah is more racist than your average state.

"I remind you that no man who makes disparaging remarks concerning those of another race can consider himself a true disciple of Christ," said President Hinckley. "How can any man holding the Melchizedek Priesthood arrogantly assume that he is eligible for the priesthood whereas another who lives a righteous life but whose skin is of a different color, is ineligible?" - President of the LDS Church

But, it's pointless to argue about it. I don't care enough, really. Fact is, blacks can hold the priesthood now.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:14 AM   #13
adamcz
Bucks fan

I think we're on the same page. Blacks can hold priesthood, but the belief in a curse was never explained away, or taken back, or ever mentioned again. There are probably some who still believe it over there, and it's one way to help explain why Utah always has 2x the league average of white people on their roster. How else can we explain it?
Old 06-25-2006, 01:16 AM   #14
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

1. The NBA has then had a good effect on Utah because the state has been exposed to blacks.

2. There are a lot of hot chicks that live in Salt Lake City. Go there and you will know what I am talking about.

3. I could never be a Morman because they have a ban on caffeine. That means no coffee, tea, Coke, Mr. Pibb, or Dr. Pepper - **** that.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:17 AM   #15
$ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
According to http://www.villagevoice.com/news/000...o,12566,3.html white people make up 21% of the NBA, which is an average of 2.5 white people per team. Before I go any further, let's take a look at the Utah Jazz rosters over the past 10 years.

2005: Okur+Kirilenko+Harpring+Giricek+Ostertag+Humphries = 6
2004: Harpring+Giricek+Kirilenko+Borchardt+Humphries+Lop ez+Handlogten = 7
2003: Kirilenko+Lopez+Ostertag+Harpring+Pavlovic+Giricek +Gugliotta+Handlogten = 8
2002: Harpring+Kirilenko+Stockton+Padgett+Ostertag = 5
2001: Stockton+Kirilenko+Padgett+Crotty+Ostertag+LaRue = 6
2000: Stockton+Ostertag+Crotty+Padgett = 4
1999: Stockton+Hornacek+Ostertag+Keefe+Padgett+Chilcutt = 6
1998: Hornacek+Stockton+Ostertag+Keefe+Fuller+Foster = 6
1997: Hornacek+Stockton+Keefe+Foster+Ostertag = 5

Over the past 10 years, the Jazz only once had a roster that didn't contain double the league's average of white people. At what point are we allowed to point fingers and say that this is intentional? After all, Salt Lake City is 93% white, and more than 70% of those whites are Mormon - a religion that has historically believed that black people did not choose sides between Jesus and Satan in the beginning of time (in 1978, the Mormon church decided to allow blacks to join, but they have never officially rescinded the claim that they are cursed).

Do you think there will ever come a time when Utah's roster will include a demographic makeup that is more in line with the league average? In a situation as unique as a basketball roster, how big a sample size is needed before it's no longer a coincidence? Is my 10 years enough, or must we go back further?

You forgot Karl Malone.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: