Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #16
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: When did you find an interest in basketball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
Don't feel like posting pics.

Here's a vid, I was like 15 or 16 there. I think I just turned 16 actually round those days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDPJgoSyTJc

Not bad.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #17
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

From 2004 I think, when I was getting back into playing ball. Man I had a beard, that's when you know you're in a serious relationship.... you can grow disgusting facial hair.
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #18
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay has an OK reputation so far

Yeah I played point and didn't like playing anything else. But that's the thing.
Once I grew over 6' they removed me from the point and started playing me at 2 guard and wing. I hated that. Didn't want to play anymore.
All because a guy who played the point is short, he's still only like 5'9" or something and has no PG skills, basically they put him at the PG because he was short and a good slasher..like Nate Robinson without the hops.

So I pretty much played all positions but I'm a natural ballhog so I didn't like playing off the ball one bit. Even as a wing I'd always get the ball and start handling it. Just natural. I was a ball stopper but that's how I played.

I had most success while I was short and a PG.

Then I got a 2nd chance and played some point but I think it was too late and my passion for playing was gone.

How about you?
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #19
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

oneway and CED actually getting along? Interesting...

Anyways, soccer was my first sport and still is but i wanted to try other things so i played YMCA basketball for a couple of year and would play off and on around my house and on a goal.

I was sort of a natural. The peripheral vision i developed in soccer helped a whole lot in basketball. I could make passes that nobody else could make. I would look for things to do that nobody else thought of to do.

If I had just had the skill and the heigth, I wouldve maybe though about switching from soccer to basketball because at the time i liked playing basketball more.

I played two years at middle school, 7th grade-B team where i started and played a whole bunch. 8th grade-A team and rode the bench.

Never grew or anything so i just stuck with soccer and played basketball now and again for fun but will never try to get better at it.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #20
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
Then I got a 2nd chance and played some point but I think it was too late and my passion for playing was gone.

Idiot coaches have a lot to answer for. I hate them trying to play guys in certain positions according to height for that level/ grade.

I was lucky in high school, when I was a senior I was i nthe openign jump, but ran point guard, and played in the post for stretches.... a match up nightmare. 6'4" and very athletic.

I couldn't play point guard anymore, I can't stay in front of fast smaller guys for a whole game. I have to play two guard now, or small forward. It's OK, though I feel like a guy that played similar to Jason Kidd/ Gary Payton that now plays like some crippled Webber character.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #21
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Cedric

From 2004 I think, when I was getting back into playing ball. Man I had a beard, that's when you know you're in a serious relationship.... you can grow disgusting facial hair.

Did you really say you could start for the nuggets
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #22
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
oneway and CED actually getting along? Interesting...

Finally enough basketball is a great way of relating to people. I could be a total prick o nthe court to people, but we would always have mutual respect through playing ball. These same guys have had my backs in all sorts of drunken incidents.

My favourtie was trying to figure what sort of in game talking players hate.
  • There's the guys that hate you telling them what they are going to do next.
  • There's the guys that you can psych out with immature trash talk (for low level intelligence comp)
  • There's the good guys, these guys I would ask mundane questions while guarding them. "How's school?" "Can I date your ex?" These type of questions.
  • And there's the great players with weak minds. I love getting inside there heads, "You're sh*t. You have nothing. You have no game."

Man I was a dick
Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #23
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Did you really say you could start for the nuggets

Yes. Not Denver.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #24
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

When I was a kid, I always enjoyed watching it on TV, but about 10 years ago, when I was 15, I spent a disasterous summer with my uncle about 3 states away. There was nowhere to go or nothing to do. I was just a kid with no money, and didn't know anyone. So, I would spend hours upon hours a day playing basketball. I would bring a little notebook, and keep track of my shots and compare them on a day-by-day basis.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #25
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Yeah Masterplan, guess basketball brings people together.
Ditto for the soccer court vision.
I was an attacking midfielder and a no 10 guy and that court vision and all those passes just translated to basketball although that feeling wasn't there.
Talent was and all that but that natural feeling that I had while playing soccer..not quite there.

Ced, yeah I hate coaches too but I can't really blame them for my failure.
I had all the talent and all the chances in the world to make it.
It's my attitude that always kept me back.
I'm still athletic enough to guard ANYONE because I'm naturally very quick and light on my feet although now I can't just easily guard those quciker players but instead I need to compensate with my height, length etc.
But I don't play basketball anymore so it doesn't really matter.
I was always losing though, I can't remember when I lead the team to a win as a PG Talent was there but too Steve Francisesque I guess

What's your story Ced? And yeah, that pic looks weaaaaak.

Last edited by OneWay : 05-07-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #26
Seņor Cedric
why live??

A ball pounder? I always sight (correct spelling for the use?) Steve Francis as a terrible player at the point when I have coached.

Here's a vid of the guy (number 7 on the blue and white team) I was spending a lot of time coaching when I was back in NZ. He's playing 2nd grade men's, he's 17. Should be a college player on a div 2 or 3 school in the states next year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iO_yW0AGAQ

Number 10 is my best bud. He gets swatted by some asian guy haha.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #27
Seņor Cedric
why live??

HE misses the bal ltwice because of crappy passers. Frustrating. He could play A grade mens, but he needs a lot of court time to mature as a pg.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #28
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

I started playing when I was about 11 years old. I played till I was 18. Then both my knees gave out and I stopped following the NBA for a few years too, the years Philly and NJ reached the finals. I just didn't care much.

It's been about 4 or 5 years now that I've been following the NBA again, around the same time I started posting / reading ISH I think.

I have been playing ball for 2 months now after tearing 3 ankle ligaments and bruising the cuboid bone in my right foot. I played outdoors yesterday for the first time since 2 years again too.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #29
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Those guys look freaking weak and unathletic.

LOL, I used the Francis comparison because I was always losing so maybe I wasn't that good at point.
Actually, it's bad comparison since Francis is a PG in a SG's body and I was exactly the opposite.
Maybe I just needed more experience.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #30
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
I have been playing ball for 2 months now after tearing 3 ankle ligaments and bruising the cuboid bone in my right foot. I played outdoors yesterday for the first time since 2 years again too.

Ye-ouch! Ankles hurt bad. My knee was gimpy and my body went numb with pain, but ankles are constant pain with pressure. A bit of a throbbing pain that won't go away even when you rest them up.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: