Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far
Default When did you find an interest in basketball?

We all love this game right?

So, i was wondering when did you guys become interested in basketball?
And what was your 'I LOVE THIS GAME' moment?
How old were you ect?
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: When did you find an interest in basketball?

Well, I was naturally a huge soccer guy but all the guys on the street were more into basketball so somehow I started to get involved in basketball, watching NBA and just playing basketball.
Soccer was my #1 sport all until I was 12. Then I had sort of a feud with a coach and all other guys stopped training so I followed them. That's when I started training basketball and it became a passion. I liked the game, I liked the guys I trained with and I liked the NBA.
Before that it was all casual. At 12 it became more than game. At 13 I found out about ISH lol.

I however very often regret the fact that I started playing basketball instead of soccer because I was much more talented for soccer but basketball became such passion that I ignored my flaws all along and still I haven't corrected some of them.
I had a very bad shooting form at first. Now it's better but blah...
And I have other flaws too. But I was confident I'd make it big but I just lack some basic fundamentals. I'm basically a waste of athleticism.
If only I had the head screwed on right to learn some things.. Oh well.

Even though I was more talented for soccer I played some pro basketball and I think my immature attitude is what really kept me back but even if things went right, I don't think I was talented enough to make decent pro money. OTOH to this day I still wonder what could've been had I kept playing soccer.
Basketball just might be the worst decision of my life but I"ll never know it lol.

So yeah, I was 12 when it became serious. But I started liking it at early age, even before I was 7 years old.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

i was 13 years old when I had my first basketball experience. sucked big time.

then I slowly worked at it.

at 14, I managed to do crossover between the legs.

at 15, I took advantage of open layups well.

at 16, I developed something of a more consistent stroke.

at 17, I learned to shoot off the dribble

at 18, I could clap in layups

at 19, I developed defense

at 20, I learned how to rebound well and run the fast break

at 21, now, I'm lifting and bulking up so I can play a more effective brand of basketball
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Pro ball? In England? Big whoop. I smell liar anyway.

When I was really young my fat friend who had a man crush on Jordan was into watching basketball on Saturdays (we only got 1 game a week then).

I watched a game one day with Lakers versus Bulls (can't even remember what season or what the game was for) and fell in love with the way Magic Johnson played the game.

I was just a runner before that, and banned from playing rugby league and rugby for violence, so basketball was a nice passive sport to my mother who signed me up.

Soon enough I was playing ball from 3.30pm to 11.30pm everyday outside on the courts with the much older Samoan guys. I even wagged school to play bball. Entered in 3 on 3 tournaments, played older guys for cash (had to run away a few times haha).

Maxed out playing for Otago University, making the NZ tournament team, also making the Otago Nuggets training squad. I played in a lot of development squads, and balled with the top NZ players growing up. I lost interest a few years back, a bit of burnout. I made a comeback, to rave reviews i nthe men's league, would have been a starter on the Nuggets last year, but tore the ACL at the end of 2005.
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Cedric
Pro ball? In England? Big whoop. I smell liar anyway.

No, I'm not from England despite my Man Utd love. I've only been there a few times.
I'm from Croatia.

Why the heck would I lie lol? I have pics and vids of me dunking and stuff etc.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well my experience is kinda similar to Oneway's. I always played football (soccer) up untill around about 12 or 13 but then I had an accident playing football and the doctor told me that basketball would strengthen up legs, due to all the jumping. So I took up basketball around 12 - 13 and I have just loved it ever since.

I'm 16 now and I would say I have come a very long way, in terms of ability, fundamentals and a decent understanding of the game in only 3 - 4 years. I have been told, by many high quality coaches, that I have skills that they have only ever seen in great players and I still possess all the basic skills every player should have.

So hopefully in the next few years I can develop my skills even more and try and move towards the next level of competition.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
No, I'm not from England despite my Man Utd love. I've only been there a few times.
I'm from Croatia.

In that case I apologise. Rare for me to do that I know.

Show some pics anyway.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Don't feel like posting pics.

Here's a vid, I was like 15 or 16 there. I think I just turned 16 actually round those days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDPJgoSyTJc
Old 05-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far

[quote=Seņor Cedric]Pro ball? In England? Big whoop. I smell liar anyway.

Yeah, it's getting big over here.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

I dont love the game... I can play well but its probably 3rd favorite sport. Its the only thing that I can do out here. I played to help my football training but not something I took too seriously. Great cardio work out though for sure.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

I actually think basketball sucks as cardio.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #12
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Quote:

How tall are you? You look about 6'2". That looks like a carbon copy of me dunking.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #13
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Cedric
How tall are you? You look about 6'2". That looks like a carbon copy of me dunking.

You got any vids or pics of yourself?

I'm actually 6'2" right now (without shoes).

I was probably like 6' in that vid since that school year I got measured at 181 cm which is a bit shorter than full 6'.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:35 AM   #14
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I actually think basketball sucks as cardio.

for average joe Schmos who dont exercise much anyway, full court basketball is quite cardio intensive.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #15
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Quote:
You got any vids or pics of yourself?

I've got some old pic of me dunking a women's ball ages ago. Lame I know. I've been filmed before, but only by coaches in development teams analysing technique, and by other teams in competition. No videos I have my hands on.

Once I get some "pep" in my step in the coming months I'll get some vids on youtube of me balling here with some Koreans guys.

So you play point? What pro team have you played for?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: