Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
STelfair31
National High School Star

STelfair31 has decent reputation
Arrow Bonds HR chase poll

Another poll between white and blacks...it getttin olfd

THOUGHTS ON THE POLL AND THE ARTICLE

its a joke...

More than half of baseball fans are rooting against Barry Bonds as he tries to break Hank Aaron's major league home run record of 755, according to an ESPN/ABC News poll.

Jayson Stark's take
ESPN.com's Jayson Stark writes that racial issues are front and center for many Americans as Barry Bonds chases the all-time home run record. Column

The survey found that 52 percent of fans hope Bonds doesn't break the record, while 37 percent of fans want him to surpass Aaron's mark, set in 1974.

In addition, 73 percent of fans think Bonds used steroids, despite Bonds' repeated denials. Bonds has never tested positive for steroids.

However, race plays a unique role. Black fans in the survey are more than twice as likely to want Bonds to break Aaron's record (74 percent to 28 percent), and 37 percent of black fans think Bonds used steroids, compared to 76 percent of white fans.

Blacks are nearly twice as likely to think Bonds has been treated unfairly (46 percent to 25 percent). Why? The survey found that 41 percent of black fans think this is due to the steroids issue, 25 percent think it's because of his race, and 21 percent blame Bonds' personality.

For whites who think Bonds has been treated unfairly, 66 percent blame steroids. Virtually none blame race.

Older blacks (50 and over) are less likely to think Bonds took steroids (29 percent) than younger blacks (44 percent). There is no age difference among whites.

A majority of fans -- 58 percent -- think Bonds should be in the Hall of Fame. That's 10 points higher than a similar poll conducted last summer. Among blacks, 85 percent think Bonds belongs in Cooperstown, compared to 53 percent of whites. Also, 78 percent of blacks think Bonds should be recognized as the home run leader, compared to 53 percent of whites.

Younger white fans are 15 points more likely than older white fans to recognize Bonds as the home run leader as well as putting him in the Hall of Fame.

The ESPN/ABC News poll was conducted by telephone March 29-April 22, 2007, among a random national sample of 799 adult baseball fans, including an oversample of 203 African-Americans. The results have a 3.5-point error margin among all respondents, seven points among blacks.

COURTESY OF MY BOYS AT ESPN.COM
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Bonds HR chase poll

**** the poll bonds is the man
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
STelfair31

yea.. he breakin the record before the All-Star break.. and no one is gonna celebrate it..is he like 12 away??
Old 05-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Amigo has an OK reputation so far

I'm rooting against him. Not that I don't want the record broken. I just don't want him to break it.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
STelfair31

your reasons? there was that part on the site..hold on i'll post it...
i want to see him break it... but i'm a fan of all the d.icks like T.O. Moss Bonds and all them type of players..
Old 05-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Wizardly Cool

I don't see why everyone's hating on Bonds because he's about to break the legendary homerun record. I mean, it's not like he cheated or anything, right?

Old 05-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
STelfair31

why is the HR record the most cared about record in all of sports...
Old 05-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Wizardly Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by STelfair31
why is the HR record the most cared about record in all of sports...

The act of hitting a homerun is the pinnacle in all of sports. Hitting a game-winning jump shot in a game 7 of the NBA Finals would never surpass the exhilaration (to most people) of hitting a game 7 homerun to win the World Series. Not even a touchdown winning a SuperBowl would be remembered in the same light. Same for all other sports as well.

I'm not a baseball fan, but I know enough to know the act of hitting a homerun is the single most cared about sports achievement. That's why this is getting such negative attention. Even if Bonds never cheated (which we all know he did) there would still be more people wishing he didn't break it instead of actually breaking, legitimately or not.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

I'm against it, it's all but proven he took roid's (No not just f*cking creatine), and it ruins the integrity of the game. That's it, the end.

Aaron doesn't want it to happen, nor do I.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP

eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far

of all the arguments where the race card is miss used this must be the worst one i have heard in a while. why does race have anything to do with it....its not like he is breaking a white guys record! i guarentee that if 10 years down the line if arod breaks roses hit record (just example) there will be no stupid black vs white stat because he did it legit. i am on the side of acknowledging his achievement until it is clear and proven that he took steroids.
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
STelfair31

yea thats why i started the thread... why does race have anythin to do wit it... a white man sittin behind a desk did the poll to see if the blacks would turn on Bonds.... oo yea here are the stats

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2861930
Old 05-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I love the way he runs like a cheetah in the outfield chasing down balls hit in the gap
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
STelfair31

he is fast he has like 500 steals...
Old 05-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #14
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Amigo has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I love the way he runs like a cheetah in the outfield chasing down balls hit in the gap

Tell me that you typed this with a hint of sarcasm.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #15
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo
Tell me that you typed this with a hint of sarcasm.

Actually, I think John Kruk currently could play a better outfield than Bonds
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: