Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far
Default The demise of Boxing and the NBA (R.I.P Diego Corrales)

It's sad that the demise of these two great sports are perpetuated to be in decline by the media and casual fans. Obviously these are two African American dominated sports. The people who partake in this embarrassment are using this argument to promote Nascar and MMA. Hmm do I have to spell it out? They say that the athletes in these two sports are everything that's wrong with sports today. They used to say that Boxing was too violent, but they don't use that argument anymore because they are MMA fans now. Now the violence isn't as exciting. Boxing matches sometimes end in bad decisions. So does every damn sport in the world. Mayweather/DelaHoya was suppose to save boxing. And how was this supposed to happen? Well the plan was for the white breaded and super-duper splendidly humble Latin American De La Hoya to shut that loud, cocky sum-beech Mayweather the f'uck up already. Meanwhile in the NBA MVP front runners and everything right about the game where suppose to on a collision course, in a battle of White Men Can Think. The cerebral side of the NBA was set to be on display. Until those loud mouth jiggaboo thugs the GSW bumped the Dirkster and the marvelous MAVS. Prompting David Stern to say in disgust, "this wasn't supposed to happen."Can't blame stern he wants his sport's popularity back. How is he supposed to compete with Nascar with another NBA finals full of nappy headed hoes?

Last edited by 0ne50 : 05-08-2007 at 02:06 AM. Reason: title change
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
Wizardly Cool

Default Re: The demise of Boxing and the NBA

You sound angry. Who exactly is to blame here, the white man?
Old 05-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
-primetime-

they were talking about the death of boxing today on the radio and they blamed it on a number of things...

1. there are no decent heavyweights...that is the biggest problem. It isn't like the good old days of Tyson/Holyfeild/Lewis/Bowe/Foreman/ect....there are simply no good heavyweight fighters to watch

2. there is no clear champ or winner anymore....it seems like every single boxer has a belt of some kind...they need to make ONE belt, ONE champ, period....most people are clueless to who the champ is of any weight class

3. the UFC...alot of fans moved on to the octagon and left boxing behind. I personally find boxing much more exciting than two guys in underwear rolling around on the ground for 30 minutes and end with 5 seconds of decent action.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardly Cool
You sound angry. Who exactly is to blame here, the white man?
Who said anything about blame. It's funny to me in a sad sort of way. Time always proves these kinds of things to be wrong. Like how the NHL was supposed to supplant the NBA back in the 90s.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
they were talking about the death of boxing today on the radio and they blamed it on a number of things...

1. there are no decent heavyweights...that is the biggest problem. It isn't like the good old days of Tyson/Holyfeild/Lewis/Bowe/Foreman/ect....there are simply no good heavyweight fighters to watch

2. there is no clear champ or winner anymore....it seems like every single boxer has a belt of some kind...they need to make ONE belt, ONE champ, period....most people are clueless to who the champ is of any weight class

3. the UFC...alot of fans moved on to the octagon and left boxing behind. I personally find boxing much more exciting than two guys in underwear rolling around on the ground for 30 minutes and end with 5 seconds of decent action.
Boxing has it's litany of problems. I think it's coverage could use improvement. ESPN doesn't have a big fight outlet and HBO/Showtime doesn't have a higlight show to showcase the ins and out of the sport. MAybe they could all work together. Not gonna happen! As far as no heavy weight. There are no good heavy wieght anymore because none of the fighters are naturally big and in good shape. They are big and awkward now. Sloppy and slow, Or muscle bound meat heads. No fluid motion in big people anymore and that's just something you can see in everyday life in obese America.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Amigo has an OK reputation so far

Got to love that baseball. I haven't followed the NBA since the GSW beat down the Mavs. After that I lost interest. I'll still pay for boxing before ANY MMA match. Bad thing is that the BIG fights in boxing are once in a blue moon. MMA has them more often.

Cotto vs Judah next. Hope its better than those two girls that got into a slapfest on May 5th.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
STelfair31
National High School Star

STelfair31 has decent reputation

was the Mayweather De La Hoya fight really live up to the fight to save boxin...i didn't watch it i was too busy..
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Boxing is being put out of the public eye because of the ****ty heavyweights and all the BS politics that go into the big matchups. If more big fights like DLH/Mayweather were to take place i think boxing would come back up in popularity. Basketball is probably increasing in popularity not dying.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
0ne50
Local High School Star

Yesteryears big men were naturally big. Today's big men are workout freaks with no free range of motion. You won't ever see a artistically beautiful heavywieght fight ever again.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
Yesteryears big men were naturally big. Today's big men are workout freaks with no free range of motion. You won't ever see a artistically beautiful heavywieght fight ever again.

Yeah i agree with you all of the heavyweights these days are just stumbling ogars that look akward in the ring.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #11
notorious ai3
OTC semi-lurker

notorious ai3 has an OK reputation so far

the nba is where its currently at because there is no real dominant team to root against. kobe is the arguably the most dominant player in the game, but his team is not that good. although its tiring to see week after week of lakers, suns, spurs, mavs, pistons, heat and cavs games, but none of those teams are truly dominant. these teams are good, and add in the wiz, bulls and maybe nugs and thats pretty much the only good teams in the league. the rest are mediocre at best (especially in the east). not a lot of parity, and not a lot of variety in teams nationally telecasted. take away from that, and the league is in pretty decent shape. look on the bright side, at least the nba isn't in the shape the nhl is in. they were locked out for a whole season, which stunted any growth it had going for it and it has to broadcast games on versus, a fishing channel (the telecasts are better than last year, but they still suck).

boxing, i don't know because i don't really follow it. the only ideas i have for it faltering is a lack of a "bad" guy kicking the sh*t out of everybody, and the politics behind it (ooh, its violent, i say "big deal"). plus the lack of any big names on regular tv (not pay-per-view) is hurting the sport's popularity. if people are going to become interested in boxing, then they need to be given a taste of what some of the great boxers do, and right now, newbies may be hesitant to pay for something they feel they may not like.
notorious ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

I think the NBA is going down because the game doesn't flow anymore. There is a foul on almost every play. It stop's and go's worse than the old stop/go penzoil commercials.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #13
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

The biggest problem with boxing is that there is no ONE governing organization.

There are too many people out there with their own interests in mind, and nobody has boxing's in mind.

UFC/PRIDE/MMA will continue to do better than boxing because it is housed under an organization, which gives them flexibility to do a variety of things (like make fights that people want to see, promote fighters, have free TV deals ect).
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #14
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

who are the most beloved boxers in the past 15 years? jones and tyson. theyre both black. a big reason boxing is "declining" is the heavyweight division is trash. when a casual fan thinks boxing, they think heavyweights.
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #15
skan72
Deep dick pizza

skan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't know what you guys are seeing, but I don't see the demise of the NBA anytime soon.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: