Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-04-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
Done_And_Done
D & D

Done_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDone_And_Done is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Anxiety Issues!

About Two years ago after enduring and dealing through countless amounts dramatic situations with my ex girlfriend, future career pressures, finances, ect.. my body & mind let loose and I found myself comming down with what is medically/scientifcally known as GAD {General Anxiety Disorder}
Although I am not nearly half as bad as I once was in the past, this is a life obsticle that I still continue to suffer with on a weekly basis. Anyone who knows anything about anxiety knows that its an extremley distressing condition to just randomly become diagnosed with. But it can definitlye be deleted & defeated from ones life.

Just curious if anyone has experienced any sense of continous Anxiety in the past or can relate in any which way?
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
Day La Ghetto
Decent college freshman

Day La Ghetto has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Anxiety Issues!

Have it. Sucks. Just gotta deal with it. I feel like crap/sick 90% of the time.Literally. Like i'm half way nauseated all the time is the feeling i have. Tried those meds and they make it worse for me.
Day La Ghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:15 AM   #3
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

can you guys explain to me what u feel on a day to day basis
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I feel for you bro. I get really bad anxiety every once in a while and it sucks. I cant eat and feel sick all the time. Working out and talking to family helps it out though. You should also disconnect from whoever is causing the anxiety if thast the case.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:30 AM   #5
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I've had minor anxiety that has lead to deeper depression, physical illness, and violent outbursts. It felt, for me at least, that no matter what I do I will fail at everything that I do. Whether with girls, school, my future, friends, you name it.

I think for me it was due to too many pressures: I left home w/ a basketball scholarship out of high school and had a lot pressure to succeed, a long distance break up (over the phone no less!) after a year relationship with a girl I thought I loved, the death of a grandfather, being hundreds of miles from my support system, confusin of what I wanted to do with my life etc. Of course these are all pretty common problems for everyone, but when they all occur with weeks of each other, the strain can be unbearable.

It's a slippery slope, one negative thought leads to another and within minutes I could have felt so helpless that I was contemplating suicide. Thankfully I have not suffered from this to this degree in about 14 months, although I often catch, and have to stop, myself from sliding down that slope. My parents suggested a psychiatrist but I refused, although if I could go back I would definitely go to one.

Last edited by Randy : 05-04-2007 at 02:39 AM.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:40 AM   #6
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

I had it bad - found Jesus.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:46 AM   #7
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
I had it bad - found Jesus.

That's odd. I was born and raised Christian through high school, but now am Agnostic (although gradually approaching Atheist) and I feel much more at peace with myself and others.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:44 AM   #8
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

I'm agoraphobic. I've had panic/anxiety disorder since I was 9. I'm 22 now. If you wanna talk, IM me on AIM. I can give you some pointers and all that stuff.

Quote:
Agoraphobia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Agoraphobic)

Agoraphobia is an anxiety disorder which primarily consists of the fear of experiencing a difficult or embarrassing situation from which the sufferer cannot escape.

People with agoraphobia may experience panic attacks in situations where they feel trapped, insecure, out of control, or too far from their personal comfort zone. In severe cases, an agoraphobic may be confined not only to their home, but to one or two rooms, and they may even become bed-bound, or a recluse.

Agoraphobia sufferers are often extremely sensitized to their own bodily sensations, subconsciously over-reacting to perfectly normal events. For example, the exertion involved in climbing a flight of stairs may trigger a full-blown panic attack, because it increases the heartbeat and breathing rate, which the agoraphobic interprets as the start of a panic attack instead of a normal fluctuation.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Shytty thing is I work in an environment that is supposed to remedy these type of situations. Unfortunately, I've found nothing that helps. I think it stemmed from being pressured as a kid and not being able to escape things from the past.
i've gotten it so bad, I've gotten wierd cramps in my stomach when I get a panic attack, fight countless nights of insomnia, I'm still up right now fighting it.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 AM   #10
-primetime-

I have it....found vodka....helps with everything....try it
Old 05-04-2007, 05:55 AM   #11
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
I have it....found vodka....helps with everything....try it

Doesn't help your liver, or your wallet.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:56 AM   #12
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Shytty thing is I work in an environment that is supposed to remedy these type of situations. Unfortunately, I've found nothing that helps. I think it stemmed from being pressured as a kid and not being able to escape things from the past.
i've gotten it so bad, I've gotten wierd cramps in my stomach when I get a panic attack, fight countless nights of insomnia, I'm still up right now fighting it.

Sucks man.. I get it really bad. I worry about ridiculous **** sometimes too. I've programmed myself to the point where I immediately assume the worst possible thing about every scenario.

*goes to grab something* "Omg, what if someone touched this and they have some weird illness and it ... <crazy ass scenario>"

*goes to eat something* "Omg, what if someone put something weird in this.. or it's got some weird bacteria.. like e.coli.. or.."

*goes to swallow* "Omg, what if I choke and I'm all alone and no one is there to help me?"

*goes to open door* "Omg, what if the door doesn't open and I can't get out.."

seriously, first time I had a panic attack at age 9.. I did not eat food for a week. No joke. I was so scared of choking.

I've been doing a few things that help, though. I can give you some recommendations. IM me if you wanna BS about ****.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:08 AM   #13
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Doesn't help your liver, or your wallet.

strong liver and a deep wallet
Old 05-04-2007, 06:08 AM   #14
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Sucks man.. I get it really bad. I worry about ridiculous **** sometimes too. I've programmed myself to the point where I immediately assume the worst possible thing about every scenario.

*goes to grab something* "Omg, what if someone touched this and they have some weird illness and it ... <crazy ass scenario>"

*goes to eat something* "Omg, what if someone put something weird in this.. or it's got some weird bacteria.. like e.coli.. or.."

*goes to swallow* "Omg, what if I choke and I'm all alone and no one is there to help me?"

*goes to open door* "Omg, what if the door doesn't open and I can't get out.."

seriously, first time I had a panic attack at age 9.. I did not eat food for a week. No joke. I was so scared of choking.

I've been doing a few things that help, though. I can give you some recommendations. IM me if you wanna BS about ****.

ok...you're just fu-cked
Old 05-04-2007, 06:08 AM   #15
reppy
Apparently likes anime

If you want to overcome anxieties, you need to do a few things.. And while I say this like I've overcome mine, I haven't, but I know it works.. it's just following through with it that I find difficult..

- Cut drugs out of your life. No more caffeine. No stimulants of any kind.
- Seriously cut back on the amount of sugar you eat.
- Eat whole grains, fresh foods, etc. Low glycemic foods are best.
- Start programming your brain for positive thinking instead of negative thinking.
Example:
Negative - "omg! I can't breathe! I'm going to die!"
Positive - "It's just a panic attack. No one has ever died from a panic attack. I'll be fine. I just need breathe properly and keep myself focused on other things."
- Learn how to breathe properly. Pay close attention right now to how you're breathing.. is your chest moving? Heaving up and down? That's the wrong way to breathe. It's lowering the level of oxygen in your blood stream. Part of the reason you might notice numbness or tingling in some areas. (Also, when your panic, all your blood rushes to your heart as it starts pounding faster and faster and adrenaline is released.)

How to breathe properly? Through your abdomen. Your abodomen should rise, not your chest. When you breathe, take slow controlled breaths through your nose for 2 seconds, and exhale through your mouth for 4 seconds. While doing this, let your muscles relax and think calming thoughts.

- Exercise! Do something to burn off all that adrenaline. You'll find yourself feeling clear-headed and more energetic. Also, you're less likely to overreact to situations, IMO. When I've burned off a lot of energy, I tend to find I do things more on impulse instead of analyzing everything.

I have a relaxation MP3 that came with Lucinda Bassett's "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" program. It is very nice and carries over into the next day. You can actually find her program on torrent websites. Very good and I seriously recommend it. (I haven't finished it, but I learned A LOT from the first few weeks.)

Also, each week of the program has an open session where she talks with people that have used the program. You'll be able to identify with almost everything they say. And guess what? They're free of anxiety now. Fly in planes and do whatever the heck they want..
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: