Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
poorlilrich
woop woop

poorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this board
Default Boycott gas on May 15th

Yea I heard it on this radio show this morning. They said if 50+ million boycott, the arabic companies will lose upwards of 2 billion dollars. Don't know how many people are going to do it; I'm just spreading the word.

May 15th
poorlilrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
-primetime-

Default Re: Boycott gas on May 15th

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlilrich
Yea I heard it on this radio show this morning. They said if 50+ million boycott, the arabic companies will lose upwards of 2 billion dollars. Don't know how many people are going to do it; I'm just spreading the word.

May 15th
boycott gas?

isn't that just about impossible for some of us?

do you mean just don't buy any gas on that day?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
Ballastic
<////////////}~

Ballastic has an OK reputation so far

And take the bus or a cab? Yea right...
Ballastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

horseback
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
boycott gas?

isn't that just about impossible for some of us?

do you mean just don't buy any gas on that day?
yeah that is what he means.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Amigo has an OK reputation so far

The prices over here where I live are outrageous. $3.10 average for unleaded. Hell yeah I'll support this boycott. I won't buy a drop of gasoline that day. I'll spread the word as well.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #7
Jabes
Banned

Jabes has an OK reputation so far

Don't bother boycotting, it does no good. This idea has been surfacing about this time every year since around 1999. Problem is, it doesn't work which can be explained by simple economics. Collectively refusing to buy gas on a certain day (or days) doesn't remove the overall demand for gas in the market, people will just buy their gas on a different day. The only way to change the elasticity of the demand for gas is to come up with feasible substitutes (like electric powered cars) or government intervention.

Here are some articles I found on google about this:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/exxon.html
http://www.f-secure.com/hoaxes/gasout.shtml

Last edited by Jabes : 05-08-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Jabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #8
GTO
I airball my layups

GTO has an OK reputation so far

if the world is pushed to build electric/hydro powered cars, we will have the cars in no time. the problem is the world is controlled by the rich because the poor are coward to/don't know how to use their united power to get what they need. so the rich will always have their way. remember, money is power. the rich's greed is endless. once the oil is used up, they will come up with something new to sell. for power.

i am totally supporting may 15 boycott. i know that it doesn't make a difference joining it, gas price wise, but at least it is something that we can do to remind ourselves and show the world that we, the poor and middle class, are being taken advantages in our everyday life.

Last edited by GTO : 05-08-2007 at 11:24 PM.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo
The prices over here where I live are outrageous. $3.10 average for unleaded. Hell yeah I'll support this boycott. I won't buy a drop of gasoline that day. I'll spread the word as well.

i think 3.10 is pretty cheap compared to the rest of the country.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #10
Q.E.C
нυєy

Q.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlilrich

May 15th

i got a e-mail about this, and it was saying it will make our gas prices go down. i don't see how. it's stupid to me.
Q.E.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:28 PM   #11
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

What you do is just not buy gas for one day, May 15. Just fill up the day before or something.

But I heard (from a teacher) that the last time they did this, prices dropped by 15 cents by the next day and went downward for 10 more days. Coming to a total drop of nearly 50 cents.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #12
Laker's Future
Banned

Laker's Future has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.E.C
i got a e-mail about this, and it was saying it will make our gas prices go down. i don't see how. it's stupid to me.

I think it would go up. But they will make 5 billion dollars more the next they. I could be wrong!
Laker's Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 PM   #13
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabes
Don't bother boycotting, it does no good. This idea has been surfacing about this time every year since around 1999. Problem is, it doesn't work which can be explained by simple economics. Collectively refusing to buy gas on a certain day (or days) doesn't remove the overall demand for gas in the market, people will just buy their gas on a different day. The only way to change the elasticity of the demand for gas is to come up with feasible substitutes (like electric powered cars) or government intervention.

Here are some articles I found on google about this:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/exxon.html
http://www.f-secure.com/hoaxes/gasout.shtml

you speak the Truth!!!

I wish people would get a hint sometimes seriously.

anyway, I plan to spite this movement by purchasing gas on that day. hahahahaha.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
What you do is just not buy gas for one day, May 15. Just fill up the day before or something.

But I heard (from a teacher) that the last time they did this, prices dropped by 15 cents by the next day and went downward for 10 more days. Coming to a total drop of nearly 50 cents.

your high school teacher is obviously a liberal who basically told you an observation and did not bother to investigate causation. maybe it was caused by something else?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #15
STelfair31
National High School Star

STelfair31 has decent reputation

boycott gas we all should ride bikes...

oo s.hit not another Trail of Tears..
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: