Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Video gamers

Ps3 vs Xbox 360 vs Wii

Rate the systems after months have passed since they have been out.

Also list the top games for each system
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Video gamers

I would put the Xbox above the Wii. I cannot rate the PS3 because I have not played it. Not really bothered if I don't get to play it.

I havn't played too many games on either console, but I happen to own both of them. I have played games such as; Gears of War, NBA 2k7, THP8, Oblivion(not a fan of it) and some others. Havn't played too many games on the Wii, that's mainly for the family kinda thing.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Wizardly Cool

I do not own a PS3. I have owned my 360 for a little over a year now. I just bought a Wii last night.

I can go ahead and tell you the 360 is your best bet for many reasons.

Online play and market sharing - Microsoft dominates the market

Games - Sony used to be king here, in this generation of gaming, Microsoft is getting more 3rd party support

Visually, there's no difference in the 360 and PS3's performance with shared software games (such as Madden, GTA, etc.).

However, be warned. Microsoft's 360 hardware is FAULTY. I've had to replace my 360 and it was not a launch unit. So far, I've heard good things about the PS3 hardware and Nintendo's. I can't say first hand for those two, but I do know the 360 could potentially give you problems, even if you only play casually like I do.

If you buy a 360, buy one from Best Buy and I highly recommend buying the 2 year replacement plan for $60. They don't just try to repair your messed up unit, they give you a brand new one. When the 2 year plan runs out, you can extend it for $30 per year.

Overall, being a somewhat gaming expert, I can tell you the 360 will provide the best overall gaming experience.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

Have the PS3 prices started dropping yet?
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Wizardly Cool

Quote:
Have the PS3 prices started dropping yet?

Less than 6 months after lanuch? At Christmas time this year, the PS3 will still be $600.00 USD.

In Japan, Sony did lower their price. That's because the Wii was outselling the PS3 by more than 66%. In the states, it seems the same is happening, but don't expect Sony to cut their prices here just yet.

I have a feeling once the quality games start coming in, PS3's sales will pick up. I don't expect a PS3 price-drop until say March or April of 2008.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I won a 360 this past Saturday. It came in a green box and is the core system Not a huge video game guy, but I'm gonna give this a try. Someone please explain to this novice the setup behind playing games online, because I've never done that before and would like to try
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
Wizardly Cool

Quote:
I won a 360 this past Saturday. It came in a green box and is the core system Not a huge video game guy, but I'm gonna give this a try. Someone please explain to this novice the setup behind playing games online, because I've never done that before and would like to try

The core system is bad, ummmk. You can't save any games. You'll have to either buy a $40 memory card (saving very, very few games) or buy a 20 GB HD for $100.00 ... or buy a 120 GB HD for $170.00.

If you're not that much into playing video games, you should sell your core system for $250 - $300. You're going to have to spend at least $200 more just to get the things you need to have an enjoyable gaming experience.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardly Cool
I do not own a PS3. I have owned my 360 for a little over a year now. I just bought a Wii last night.

I can go ahead and tell you the 360 is your best bet for many reasons.

Online play and market sharing - Microsoft dominates the market

Games - Sony used to be king here, in this generation of gaming, Microsoft is getting more 3rd party support

Visually, there's no difference in the 360 and PS3's performance with shared software games (such as Madden, GTA, etc.).

However, be warned. Microsoft's 360 hardware is FAULTY. I've had to replace my 360 and it was not a launch unit. So far, I've heard good things about the PS3 hardware and Nintendo's. I can't say first hand for those two, but I do know the 360 could potentially give you problems, even if you only play casually like I do.

If you buy a 360, buy one from Best Buy and I highly recommend buying the 2 year replacement plan for $60. They don't just try to repair your messed up unit, they give you a brand new one. When the 2 year plan runs out, you can extend it for $30 per year.

Overall, being a somewhat gaming expert, I can tell you the 360 will provide the best overall gaming experience.

Wow good review...I've been debating for months what system to get. I havent been impressed by ps3 at all. Think I'm gonna just retire my ps2 which I've been holding onto for awhile and get this system. The cost isnt a big deal....its just that I dont play video games constantly. So I wasnt sure if it was worth it...but my friends all have it and they love that online gaming so its like sometimes I be wanting to play but cant. So yeah I think I'll get the 360 especially from Best Buy since that is where I got a 2 $100 gift cards (from xmas) I havent yet used.

But thats good to hear about that warranty plan...another thing that scared me was the system breakin down and I'm ass out. Seems like that plan stops that fear.

Yo check this.

360 elite

Thats the system I want...what else would I have to get with it?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
Wizardly Cool

Quote:
Yo check this.

360 elite

Thats the system I want...what else would I have to get with it?

Grrrrrr... Microsoft pissed me off when they announced their 360 "elite" unit. When I bought my supposed "premium" unit, I figured I was getting the best unit possible. Microsoft is a heartless sumbeech ...

It's really good for those who have yet to buy a 360, because you're getting a damn good deal. By buying the "elite" unit (black) you get everything the premium unit offers plus...

120 GB of storage (versus just 20 GB)
HDMI output (important if you have 1080i or 1080p resolution)

Not a bad deal for only $479 (versus the $400 for the premium unit).

Not sure if you're planning on buying or renting games, but there's many to choose from. GOBB, if you'd like my more in depth opinions on individual games, feel free to ask about specific ones. I have Madden 07, Top Spin and Tiger Woods 07. I'm not one of those gamers who buy every single Madden and NBA 2K whatever games. I only need one really, not big into playing sports games online, but that's just me.

You'll need another controller which will be $40. It comes with a standard headset, which I think works just fine. You'll need a high speed internet connection to play online. If you have an HD-TV, I would suggest buying the expensive HD cables... makes a world of difference. If you don't have HD-TV, don't bother. My cables were like $80. Totally worth it.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head...

I love the 360 because of XBOX-Live Marketplace. You can buy or rent movies, TV shows (like South Park, etc.) and watch them. The best thing however, is XBOX-Live Arcade (from Marketplace). You can buy old retro classic games and play them online against other people!!! Games like Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat 3, Uno, etc... etc... etc...

Oh, and the XBOX-Live membership is $50. It's worth it, even if you're a casual gamer. You'll find no other experience like it on the PS3 or Wii. They're online functions are garbage. I can see Sony improving with their up and coming "Home" feature... but it'll still be a red-headed sumbeech compared to XBOX-Live.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Sucks that all this stuff is so expensive. I'm obviously elated to win the system, but with everything you mentioned, it will cost me about $200 just to get off the ground.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #11
Wizardly Cool

Yep, you're better off selling unless you're going to get your $'s worth.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Damn that sounds great. Yeah I got HD-TV and my internet is with Comcast cable. So my connection shouldnt be a problem. I'm a big sports and action video gamer myself. Madden, college football/basketball and games like Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas is what I like. Those mission/action based games.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #13
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I wonder if Grand Theft Auto 4 coming out on 360?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #14
Wizardly Cool

Quote:
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas

I don't own this game, but I have friends who play this sumbeech like there's no tomorrow. Huge online community with this game.

Quote:
I wonder if Grand Theft Auto 4 coming out on 360?

Yep - Rockstar signed with Microsoft too. Sony didn't want to pay Rockstar their asking price to keep the series exclusive. This is happening with a lot of once Sony exclusives. That's why many experts predict the 360 to be the victor this go round.

There's a carbon-copy of GTA out there called Saints Row. I own this game, and it's very good. Not as great as the GTA, but the next best thing.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardly Cool
There's a carbon-copy of GTA out there called Saints Row. I own this game, and it's very good. Not as great as the GTA, but the next best thing.
Yeah I own Saints Row, I think it's a pretty good game, not great, but definitly a good game.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: