Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

East_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Top Ten Ol Skool Hip-Hop Tracks

Spice 1
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

East_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEast_Stone_Ya is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would give my list but first what era of old skool you mean? pre 90? or 90 included?
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

I see you wanted to be more original, those are great ones man, but it seems to be more something like:

Sugarhill gang - Rapper's delight (1979)
Grandmaster Flash - The Message (1982)
Afrika bambaataa - Planet rock (1982)
Run DMC - Sucker MCs (1983)
Geto Boys - My mind playing tricks on me (1991)
Dr Dre ft. Snoop - Nothing but a G Thang (1992)
Public Enemy - Fight the Power (1990)
Biggie - Juicy (1994)
N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton (1988)
Rakim ft. Eric B - Paid in Full (1987)

My 10 favorites are something like (80s-90s):

1. Pete Rock & CL Smooth - They Reminisce Over You
2. Mobb Deep - Shook Ones
3. Busta Rhymes - Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See
4. Wu Tang Clan - CREAM
5. Run-DMC - Peter Piper
6. Warren G ft. Nate Dogg - Regulate
7. Method Man feat. Mary J. Blige - You're All I Need
8. Naughty By Nature - OPP
9. Biggie - Hypnotize
10. Tupac - Dear Mama

Those are almost my all-time favorites aswell :)

90s man... 90s.... then it just went down hill.... you can occasionally find some good stuff out there today but...

Last edited by pauk : 05-12-2013 at 04:59 PM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

^This nigga is including 90s material in old-school song list.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
^This nigga is including 90s material in old-school song list.

1990 was... about 23 years ago... time flies...
Old 05-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
1990 was... about 23 years ago... time flies...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old-school_hip_hop
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
pauk
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23

Hm, Wiki... 1979-84 is literally where Hip-Hop started, thats not just old school, thats cro-magnon... :P its a specific time in hip hop, doesnt mean the later years is not old school by this hip hop stage we are at now..... Old-School hip hop at this stage is more closer to something like 1979-1990, arguably even later (i certainly consider 90s old school, unfortunately, at least early 90s).... most of the evolution happened during that time.....

Anyways, i was judging by OP's picks, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince: Summertime is from 1991 for example....

Last edited by pauk : 05-12-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Slick Rick - Children's Story
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

OldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
Hm, Wiki... 1979-84 is literally where Hip-Hop started, thats not just old school, thats cro-magnon... :P its a specific time in hip hop, doesnt mean the later years is not old school by this hip hop stage we are at now..... Old-School hip hop at this stage is more closer to something like 1979-1990, arguably even later (i certainly consider 90s old school, unfortunately, at least early 90s).... most of the evolution happened during that time.....

Anyways, i was judging by OP's picks, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince: Summertime is from 1991 for example....

"Old skool" hip hop is dat pre 90s stuff. Stuff like 'Rappers Delight' which tbh i don't really care all that much for.

"Classic rap" IMO is dat 90's stuff. its the equivalent of "Classic Rock" in the 60s and 70s. Dats dat truuf.
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
"Old skool" hip hop is dat pre 90s stuff. Stuff like 'Rappers Delight' which tbh i don't really care all that much for.

"Classic rap" IMO is dat 90's stuff. its the equivalent of "Classic Rock" in the 60s and 70s. Dats dat truuf.
That's not old school hip-hop, that's the first hip-hop. That late 80's-early 90s is old school hip-hop. The Golden Era.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

OldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
That's not old school hip-hop, that's the first hip-hop. That late 80's-early 90s is old school hip-hop. The Golden Era.

Do you think of wu tang as old school? I personally dont. I consider them 'classic rap' along with tupac, nas, biggie, g rap, nwa, busta rhymes, mobb deep, redman, geto boys etc etc

I think of sugarhill gang, grandmaster flash, will smith, afrika bambata, and all that stuff as old skool.

Even if theres some overlap in the timelines, to me its the style that determines the category, rather than what year it was
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #13
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Some good choices, some OK choices, and some meh choices.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Spice 1 is STILL going at it to this day with the same gangsta rap he started with

1991 - Spice 1 - In My Neighborhood - age 20

1992 - Spice 1 - 187 Proof - age 21

2013 - Spice 1 - Ghetto Star - age 42

His newer stuff isn't even close to as good as his older classics but there are a few couple things here and there that are decent

2010 - SPICE 1-DON'T PUSH ME - This is good for something he has done lately

Spice -1 freestyling in his kitchen...he has lyrical skills

as far as being "real" goes, I think Spice is about as real as it gets...one of the most underrated rappers there is I think, his name should be listed along with the all the greats, it's just that Spice never had the slightest interest in making radio or club music, all he wanted to make (then and now) is gangsta shit

-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: