Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-14-2017, 02:04 AM   #16
1987_Lakers
5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Bump this when Cleveland takes Deshaun Watson next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
People comparing Watson to Vince young have somewhat of a leg to stand on given their college careers.

But didn't Vince score like a 6 on the wonderlic? Deshaun is smarter and it will show. IMO

Eh, Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 48 while Dan Marino scored 16, Jim Kelly & Steve McNair both had a 15 score.

Im saying it right now, if Watson goes #1 overall it will be one of the worst picks in history, dude has so many holes in his game, he has poor field vision, has poor ball placement, has never played in pro-style offense, there is just too many question marks for him to even be considered a #1 pick.

The last time a QB was drafted in the top 5 that had so many question marks about his game was Blake Bortles, three years later Bortles is one of the worst starting QBs in the league and on the verge of being a bust.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:11 AM   #17
ShawkFactory
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
Eh, Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 48 while Dan Marino scored 16, Jim Kelly & Steve McNair both had a 15 score.

Im saying it right now, if Watson goes #1 overall it will be one of the worst picks in history, dude has so many holes in his game, he has poor field vision, has poor ball placement, has never played in pro-style offense, there is just too many question marks for him to even be considered a #1 pick.

The last time a QB was drafted in the top 5 that had so many question marks about his game was Blake Bortles, three years later Bortles is one of the worst starting QBs in the league and on the verge of being a bust.
I don't think Watson should be the #1 overall pick. At all.

I'd take Garrett or Allen regardless of what my positional needs are.

But what you're saying isn't false. Yes...the wonderlic is an estimate.
Much like the SAT. Scoring higher doesn't guarantee anything.

BUT, scoring incredibly low is a red flag. 16 isn't incredibly low. 6 is.

Also, Dan marino and those other guys could sling it. Vince young couldn't really.

Watson is a smart guy. He knows when to check down, when to throw it up and let his all-American receiver make a play, and when to take it himself. He's different.
ShawkFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:20 AM   #18
1987_Lakers
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
I don't think Watson should be the #1 overall pick. At all.

I'd take Garrett or Allen regardless of what my positional needs are.

But what you're saying isn't false. Yes...the wonderlic is an estimate.
Much like the SAT. Scoring higher doesn't guarantee anything.

BUT, scoring incredibly low is a red flag. 16 isn't incredibly low. 6 is.

Also, Dan marino and those other guys could sling it. Vince young couldn't really.

Watson is a smart guy. He knows when to check down, when to throw it up and let his all-American receiver make a play, and when to take it himself. He's different.

The one thing Watson has over Young is his intelligence, he seems like a hard working guy and a good leader.

Still, even vs Alabama I saw a bunch of throws where he missed pretty bad, he doesn't have much accuracy when he throws the ball deep. I think he still has ALOT to learn on how to become a QB in the NFL, but given his intelligence and work ethic he can probably make it work. Now, would I draft him in the first 2 rounds in the draft? Nope.

Last edited by 1987_Lakers : 01-14-2017 at 02:24 AM.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #19
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

He torched the Alabama defense which has high picks all over, Allen is goin top 5, both the edge guys should go 1st or early second, their MLB is a top 15 pick, the CB is a top 15 pick. That's just for this years draft.

Last year in the championship game is dropped 480 yards, 4 TDS and 1 turnover against a defense that include the above guys an also Reggie Ragland, Cyrus Jones, Reed and Ashawn Robinson, all second round picks.

Not to mention all the other ineligible guys that are very highly ranked.

He has played against a better defense than half the NFL twice in the National Championship game in back to back years and dominated each time.

He has flaws, but doing that vs that type of defense on the biggest stage in college football back to back years deserves respect. 1987Lakers, you need to start puttin' some respek on his name.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #20
CelticBaller
You mad?

Vince young scored 16 not 6
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #21
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

I am 100% sold on Myles Garrett and would be hugely disappointed if they took anyone else. He looks like a Jevon Kearse level talent and you just can't pass up on a guy like that. Also, the Browns quarterback woes have gotten a lot of attention over the years, but this franchise has also gone a LONG time since it has had a star pass-rusher as well. The closest thing we have had in the last 10-15 years is Jabal Sheard if that tells you anything.

They have to take Garrett. However, it wouldn't shock me if Watson fell to 12 and the Browns are also high on Trubisky according to what I've read. He is a product of Cleveland as well. I saw him play many times for Mentor High School a few years back.

I also wouldn't be stunned if they go with defense with both first round picks, tbh. Our secondary is really hurting since Joe Haden's body became injury-riddled and we've watched guys like TJ Ward walk out the door.

The point is, this team needs to basically take BPA at every spot, because no QB could succeed in the situation as it is. If Watson happens to fall into that scenario, I'm all for it ... but I wouldn't reach.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:45 PM   #22
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

Mike Williams ~~~~ Alshon Jeffery

Watching Wilson right now makes me want the Bears go after Watson or Kizer. But preferably Watson.

Watson is undecided on the Senior Bowl from what I'm reading. If he does play then the CLE staff will coach him but the CHI staff will be coaching the other side so it gives them a chance to see him if he plays.
ballinhun8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #23
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Hue Jackson to Watson prior to draft "Be ready"

Proceeds to essentially trade him away.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #24
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Hue Jackson to Watson prior to draft "Be ready"

Proceeds to essentially trade him away.

eh I'm sure Hue wanted him but the Browns FO disagreed. I don't really blame the FO for this one as much as passing on Wentz. To be fair Deshaun wasn't hailed as a can't miss future pro bowl QB. He was the third QB taken off the board after all and had a ton of doubters. Only threw 49 MPH at the combine too which is a red flag.

And as crazy as it sounds I do think the jury is still out on him. He looks great as of now though.

Browns should just use their high pick on a QB for the 2018 draft no questions asked.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #25
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Watson has looked very good so far, but I'm not ready to add him to our long list (and the list is extremely long) of draft day mistakes. Those include trading the pick to the Falcons that became Julio Jones and trading the pick that became Carson Wentz, to name a couple of quick ones. I think it might be time to put Wentz in that category, but not Watson.

Remember, the Browns were in the hunt (and Holmgren actually tried to trade away several future drafts) for RG3. And, that was followed by one of the great rookie years in recent rookie QB history. I believe he made the Pro Bowl and led the Redskins to a playoff berth.

A couple of injuries and a league-wide adjustment to his limited style of play later, and he was fighting for his NFL life (now out of the league entirely).

Six games is simply not enough to assess a quarterback prospect, either as being good or being bad. With that being said, he has been better so far than I anticipated.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #26
CelticBaller
You mad?

Watson looks good but so did RG3 and Kaep for seasons
I would hold on till his sophomore season
Old 10-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #27
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Kap and RG3 had success through their systems. The pistol option and an elite defense.

Watson isn't really doing anything like that, he's throwing TDs from the pocket. His defense isn't elite, they've given up a shit ton of points.

Watson looks legit so far to me...still very early though obviously
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #28
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

Also helps he has viable threats in Hopkins and Fuller on the outside.

If Watson goes to the Browns they probably have a win or two but Watson probably still struggles. He knows how to use his best assets which is what you want from your QB. I think he struggles now if he's on the Bears also. Just a lack of playmakers will also hinder a QBs growth.
ballinhun8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #29
CelticBaller
You mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Kap and RG3 had success through their systems. The pistol option and an elite defense.

Watson isn't really doing anything like that, he's throwing TDs from the pocket. His defense isn't elite, they've given up a shit ton of points.

He's literally playing in the same system Tom Brady plays in lol
Old 10-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #30
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~

Yeah, Watson really does look legit. The way he's moving in the pocket and moving safeties with his eyes really shows his feel for the game.

Side note, I still don't really know why Kap is judged so harshly. The Niners literally imploded because nobody can stand Harbaugh for more than 3 years and they had a massive talent exodus. Their team sucked last year but Kap still threw for 16 TDs and only 4 INTs even tho his best WR was Jeremy Kerley.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: