Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-15-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here
Default Ron for Luke? YES OR NO.

Everything points to a YES. Defense, toughness, and a chance to rid of idiots like Sasha and Cookie.

But my gut says no. Luke may not be able to defend, but he is smart enough to learn and definitely willing enough to do so. He's only in his 4th year and he has made great strides since we first saw him. Also, rule of thumb is players in the NBA begin to really make their mark by their 6th year. Apart from the waning games of the playoffs, he has been our singlemost toughminded player besides mr. Bryant.

Artest has so many things we need, but he can also be a goddamn chucker. I hate CHUCKERS. He is also always a threat to cohesiveness and off-court shannanigans. Although I believe Phil and Kobe can deal with that.

If we can pull of Kwame and still get JO/Gasol ( which is tough even with Kwame mind you ) then do it. But I don't know why but my gut really tells me not to give up Luke. He is a winner and will get better and better with age.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Ron for Luke? YES OR NO.

yes, but I prefer VRad & 1st rounder
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:23 AM   #3
qrich
King Heno

qrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation hereqrich has an incredible reputation here

Whoever says no, needs to be checked. Only valid reason I can think of is Ron's offcourt issues, but besides that, he's better in every aspect imo, except maybe IQ. Kings won't deal him for Luke as well IMO, would take way more.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:27 AM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
Whoever says no, needs to be checked. Only valid reason I can think of is Ron's offcourt issues, but besides that, he's better in every aspect imo, except maybe IQ. Kings won't deal him for Luke as well IMO, would take way more.

co-sign
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:53 AM   #5
KOBEinSD24
I hit open 5-footers

KOBEinSD24 has an OK reputation so far

Vladi is probably leavin for artest is would be nice to trade offense for much needed defense
KOBEinSD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:57 AM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOBEinSD24
Vladi is probably leavin for artest is would be nice to trade offense for much needed defense

Luke is the same...Mainly an offensive guy.

I don't like Vlad leaving. I think he can make a big impact one day.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:58 AM   #7
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
The Kings are not going to take Vlad's nice contract or Luke "I'm custom made for the triangle offense" Walton for Artest.

They might as well trade him for Maggette if they are that desperate.

The Kwame/Pick/Filler for Artest/K9 or BM seems a little more reasonable
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:58 AM   #8
KOBEinSD24
I hit open 5-footers

KOBEinSD24 has an OK reputation so far

this offseason is going to be hard because we dont have many players with big trade value
KOBEinSD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:19 AM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
this offseason is going to be hard because we dont have many players with big trade value

yes of course,

but then again we don't have many ideas either.

we're only going for one or two trades to dramatically improve.

Then we got the midlevel exception!!
Old 05-15-2007, 03:28 AM   #10
sammdogg
Local High School Star

sammdogg has decent reputation

id trade walton for artest in a second
sammdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:56 AM   #11
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Hell YESSS!!! no question about it. in a heartbeat.

Walton is weak defensively, slow and lacks any athleticism. Artest on the other hand can be a headcase but toughness and defense on this team right now is priceless.

I do that trade in a second.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:36 AM   #12
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

I dont think the clippers will trade corey for ron this time. Corey is starting to find his role and play well in the 2nd part of the season. and i doubt if many teams will express interest in artest. Maybe strong teams like miami, detroit and desperate teams like lakers and wolves
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:46 AM   #13
Shark
I hit open layups

Shark has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
Everything points to a YES. Defense, toughness, and a chance to rid of idiots like Sasha and Cookie.

But my gut says no. Luke may not be able to defend, but he is smart enough to learn and definitely willing enough to do so. He's only in his 4th year and he has made great strides since we first saw him. Also, rule of thumb is players in the NBA begin to really make their mark by their 6th year. Apart from the waning games of the playoffs, he has been our singlemost toughminded player besides mr. Bryant.

I'd say no.
Artest is the better player but he's a headcase and cannot be in any way the facilitator in the triangle, which Walton really is. Artest will never be a 6th man and has a terrible shot selection, which is not good near a really shooting guard as Bryant is.
There a re other players around the league with problems with their actual team we can pursue, with particular attention to the PG position.
I think we have to make a package to land someone like E. Watson or Del. West similar players. Than probably a scoring 6th man will be really appreciated. What about D. Miles, who's really in a bad position in Portland?
Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #14
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay has an OK reputation so far

Let me think about it. Yes. Uuu boy, that took long.

Lakers have been passing on talented players for years now. And look where they got. Exactly. They're mmongst least talented teams in the west.

If they pass on another quality player, Kobe needs to leave immediatly.

Lakers need to realize that outside of Kobe all they have is trash and that trash did absolutley nothing to win games when it mattered but instead it took Kobe hitting 40, 50 and even 60 every single night.
If they can turn that trash into quality talented players then that's what needs to be done. The only other 2 players whoa aren't considered trash are Odom and Bynum.

I like Luke but Artest is flat out more talented, athletic and it's absolutley ridiculous how his toughness and agressive mindset would change this no defense no athleticism team that Luke contributes to.
It's really a no brainer. If Artest can be had for anyhting outside of Kobe, Odom and Bynum then he must be had. That's the freaking bottom line.

Anyway, I don't even want Luke back next year. We already have a no defense SF in Radmanovic. They should've thought about that earlier.
No reason to spend $10+ mill. a year on both of them.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #15
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far

Given that Luke is UFA, I believe certain issues may apply. First, he MAY have to agree to an s&t. Or, if he thinks he might get traded after he signs, then he may a) sign somewhere else or b) demand a no-trade clause.

Also, isn't there a rule that, after signing the player, he has to stay on the roster for a certain period of time?...we might not be able to trade him until the fall.

send VRad + 1st rounder + cash
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: