Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Minnesota Timberwolves Forum

Minnesota Timberwolves Forum Minnesota Timberwolves forum - Minnesota T-Wolves message board

Old 07-05-2006, 05:24 AM   #1
thrubeingcool9
Can barely lace up my sneakers

thrubeingcool9 has an OK reputation so far
Default Is Kevin Garnett overrated

i think Garrnett is overrated. love the gatorade commercial and hes one of the freakiest athletes of the game who changed basketball forever with his skill level BUT he has not proved anything. hmm let start with the ooohis streak of 6 or 7 years of exiting in the first round. Then the year they made it to the finals against lakers, credit should be given to Cassle and Sprewell, cassel proved it again this year with the Clip. Then last year, he couldnt even compete for the playoffs. How can a player who is always mentioned as one of the best not lead his team past the 1st round or even make the playoffs. hmm even some players who are regularly criticised, ie allen iverson, kobe bryant, ray allen have lead they're teams to the playoffs. In my opinon, Garrnett has all the talent in the world but his problem is he isnt a winner. He didnt learn to win, most of the great players learned to win in college(jordan, grant hill, duncan) He has the heart of a champion but lacks that special ability. trade the guy and save his career....
thrubeingcool9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
Walker
Cool Custom Title

Walker is considered somewhat coolWalker is considered somewhat coolWalker is considered somewhat cool

Why make another KG thread when there's already three from the past 48hrs?
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

Cause this thread obviously is about Dean Garret. Shame the OP misspelled his name, though.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #4
SYOrangeMan
I brick open layups

SYOrangeMan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrubeingcool9
i think Garrnett is overrated. love the gatorade commercial and hes one of the freakiest athletes of the game who changed basketball forever with his skill level BUT he has not proved anything. hmm let start with the ooohis streak of 6 or 7 years of exiting in the first round. Then the year they made it to the finals against lakers, credit should be given to Cassle and Sprewell, cassel proved it again this year with the Clip. Then last year, he couldnt even compete for the playoffs. How can a player who is always mentioned as one of the best not lead his team past the 1st round or even make the playoffs. hmm even some players who are regularly criticised, ie allen iverson, kobe bryant, ray allen have lead they're teams to the playoffs. In my opinon, Garrnett has all the talent in the world but his problem is he isnt a winner. He didnt learn to win, most of the great players learned to win in college(jordan, grant hill, duncan) He has the heart of a champion but lacks that special ability. trade the guy and save his career....

I think you're an idiot for even starting this thread.
SYOrangeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
NYKnicks914
Decent playground baller

NYKnicks914 has decent reputation

This is an example of why, depending on how you gauge an individual player's success, judging by playoff success is not always the way to go.

There are two sides to this argument: 1 is that a player is playing to win, and if he doesn't win, he is not succesful.

The other, more liberal verson, is that a player can not control the situation he is in (level of skill in teammates, coach), and all he can do is go out and play his best.

KG has been a great success if you believe strictly in the second version... a faliure if you believe strictly in the first. To me it is not black and white; I subscribe to a little bit of both. He is a top 5 player year in and year out and plays with his heart every game. That being said, he is far from a complete success because he has never been to the second round of the playoffs, let alone win a championship.
Referring to him being overrated; I wouldn't say he is overrated because everyone talks about what a great player he is individually, but his lack of playoff success is always mentioned in the next breath. That is why I don't think someone would have an argument saying he is "overrated." Depends on who 'rates' him though, as always.
NYKnicks914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 AM   #6
sixty
Good High School Starter

sixty has an OK reputation so far

The only thing that Garnett lacks in leadership. He need a Sam Cassel, Jason Kidd type of guy beside him IMO.

How many solid playmakers did the Wolves had since today? One.... Sam Cassel.

He is one amazing player though.
sixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Come to the Lakers KG!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Credit should be givin' to Cassell and Spree? KG basically single handedly won the Kings series.

And what are you talking about? Last year he couldn't compete for the playoffs? Last year they won 44 games. That's not that bad, most years that gets you in the playoffs infact.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
browntown
National High School Star

browntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrubeingcool9

Honestly are you a idot, what do you mean by Garnett hasn'e proven himself ofcourse he has league MVP, All Star MVP, Yes he has been eliminated in the first round several times, but did you even check upon the roster he was teaming with.

On the other hand Cassel made the playoffs cause the Clippers team was clicking, thier starting lineup was at the top and the main player on that team was Elton Brand, so your argument about Cassell being bette r then garnett is just stuiped.
browntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #10
ihatekobenjordan
Banned

ihatekobenjordan has not been impressing people

Yes he is overrated. He's great but NOT that great.
ihatekobenjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #11
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

Put him on a winning roster and his game will shine. Keep him with that garbage in Minnesota and he'll continue to languish.

He really needs to be on another team soon. Or this overrated talk will become legitimate.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Bulls_Fan20 has decent reputationBulls_Fan20 has decent reputation
If he ever got out of the West, he would take any team (minus the Knicks) deep into the playoffs. The problem is that he has to carry his team in the tougher division. 44 wins would have gotten him the 4 seed in the East this year, and I think the Wolves woulda beaten at least the Cavs, maybe more. The Wolves have the right idea, however, by holding onto him. He is the face of that franchise, and is by no means overrated. He has averaged a double-double and at least 4 assists a game since the 98-99 season. How many players have been that consistent for that many years with the supporting cast he had? Overrated my ass.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #13
HoosierDaddy13
Kids at the park dunk on me

HoosierDaddy13 has no real reputation yet.

He is a damn fine player, but he seems to have his own standard. Fans and media are hardly the same regarding him in comparison to the other current perennial all-stars. I am sure the city in which he plays has something to do with it, but that doesn't make it right.
HoosierDaddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #14
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputationSsKSpurs21 has decent reputation
Default .

i agree to some points and i disagree with some points on everyones arguements.

KG is an extrordinary talent. he has the skills to basically be a one man team.

I dont think KG is overrated as an individual talent, but he is overrated as being a great player. let me explain...

individual talents are players like domonique wilkens who have all the talent but no leadership...and leadership results into being a great player.

everyone here is saying "oh well look at his team" and "if you surround him with talent he will win". sure a talented team helps but leadership is what gets that talent to coexist and to work together to win games and champioships...

look at the bulls. it was jordan/pippen and a bunch of scrubs. it was jordans ability to trust steve kerr with that game winning shot, or pass it off and trust john paxson to hit the open jumper. he got into the players heads and brought out the best in them.

the spurs, tim duncan and a bunch of foreigners. Its tim duncan ability to be a leader which brings the best out of his teammates and makes them viewed as all stars.

KG has had the talent, but he was too young to understand how to be a leader...he has never learned how to be an effective leader and that is why the talent runs all over him.
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #15
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Kevin Garnett is absolutely not overrated, unless there are people saying that he's better than top five.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: