Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Minnesota Timberwolves Forum

Minnesota Timberwolves Forum Minnesota Timberwolves forum - Minnesota T-Wolves message board

Old 07-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #31
thrubeingcool9
Can barely lace up my sneakers

thrubeingcool9 has an OK reputation so far

umm for the people that try to argue that garnett is a great player, thanks we've all established that. sorry if i offended some of you guys for calling Garnett overrated, i guess this is a sensitive subject. Some of you think "The Big Ticket" is a guaranteed top 5 player, id take kobe wade lebron nash duncan anyday. Those are are proven winners. Kobes and Duncan got 3 rings. Wade just got 1, lebron is one man team who almost beat the pistons and will most definitely win one, and Nash lead a team of overachievers to conference finals and 2 time MVP. garnett will be 31 next year, it aint gonna get easier. I think some of you took the overated statement out of context. Garnett is great player but if he wants to be considered one of the defining players of this era with the likes of kobe, shaq, duncan he better win something. Even barkely, Malone and Stockton, Gary Payton, Patrick Ewing were able to lead their teams to the finals. Garnett's career can be remembered two ways: champion or Dominique Wilkins
thrubeingcool9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:24 PM   #32
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't understand how winning defines your greatness. You're telling me he's overrated because he doesn't go as deep into the playoffs?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #33
Niquesports
Good college starter

Niquesports has decent reputationNiquesports has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
i agree to some points and i disagree with some points on everyones arguements.

KG is an extrordinary talent. he has the skills to basically be a one man team.

I dont think KG is overrated as an individual talent, but he is overrated as being a great player. let me explain...

individual talents are players like domonique wilkens who have all the talent but no leadership...and leadership results into being a great player.

everyone here is saying "oh well look at his team" and "if you surround him with talent he will win". sure a talented team helps but leadership is what gets that talent to coexist and to work together to win games and champioships...

look at the bulls. it was jordan/pippen and a bunch of scrubs. it was jordans ability to trust steve kerr with that game winning shot, or pass it off and trust john paxson to hit the open jumper. he got into the players heads and brought out the best in them.

the spurs, tim duncan and a bunch of foreigners. Its tim duncan ability to be a leader which brings the best out of his teammates and makes them viewed as all stars.

KG has had the talent, but he was too young to understand how to be a leader...he has never learned how to be an effective leader and that is why the talent runs all over him.

Its silly to blame KG because his team is sorry. We call Jordan a big leader cause his team won 6 titles well what was he the first 6 years of his career ?
Sure some players just have the will to win ie. Magic,Russell,Bird, jordan Isiah, Kg maybe the 3rd best Pf ever. Its just late in the game you dont see that same determination to take his game to the next level like the other greats. The real problem is it seems like he has a new PG every year. IF Mchale is ever going to build a winner it starts with having a team that stays together for a few years and they learn to win as a team. Yes KG is a big time player and a good leader but he needs a true PG to run the offense for them to go anywhere.
Niquesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #34
Niquesports
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrubeingcool9
umm for the people that try to argue that garnett is a great player, thanks we've all established that. sorry if i offended some of you guys for calling Garnett overrated, i guess this is a sensitive subject. Some of you think "The Big Ticket" is a guaranteed top 5 player, id take kobe wade lebron nash duncan anyday. Those are are proven winners. Kobes and Duncan got 3 rings. Wade just got 1, lebron is one man team who almost beat the pistons and will most definitely win one, and Nash lead a team of overachievers to conference finals and 2 time MVP. garnett will be 31 next year, it aint gonna get easier. I think some of you took the overated statement out of context. Garnett is great player but if he wants to be considered one of the defining players of this era with the likes of kobe, shaq, duncan he better win something. Even barkely, Malone and Stockton, Gary Payton, Patrick Ewing were able to lead their teams to the finals. Garnett's career can be remembered two ways: champion or Dominique Wilkins

I think this start another more reasonable question Is Steve Nash overrated ? i say yes 2 MVp and has yet to lead a team to a finals ? How many years was he with the Mavs and now with Jason Terry they make the finals. I can name 3 guards that Id take over Nash and he gets MVP Give me Tony parker, Allen Iverson and of course Wade over Nash. How does a man get 2 MVp and cant lead his team to a finals I guess this years playoffs should who the true MVp is WADE.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #35
PHXsunsROCK1105
SAVE Planet Orange

PHXsunsROCK1105 has decent reputation

BULLCRAP!

If it weren't for Amare getting hurt this year, the title would've been ours!

PHXsunsROCK1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #36
Niquesports
Good college starter

The Suns will never win a title with that run up and down no D no heart team. yea sure The big man will make a difference but if you gonna shoot 100 3 's and play no D you will be home early every year just like all of nash's teams. He's great in the regular season but come playoffs he's a bum
Old 07-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #37
zebraheat
I hit open layups

zebraheat has an OK reputation so far

KG is not overrated, he has the least out of any star player (aside from PP) to work with. However, KG also needs a cold-hearted guard to make the big shots, re Marbury. Then, you will se TWolves and KG successful and go deeper into the PO
zebraheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #38
jody
High school junior varsity star

jody has an OK reputation so far

nobody is saying he's not a great player, but is he the best player in the NBA? no he's not. he's not the number 2 player either, or the number 3 player, or the number 4 player. he's definitely down a few places. that's why he is overrated.

he is the least dangerous MVP of all time i reckon. in the fourth quarter he has almost zero ability to win games. maybe that's not quite accurate, maybe he has the ability but not the desire, but whatever it is, he either can't or won't win close games. period. there's absolutely, ABSOLUTELY no room for argument here. none. zip. zilch. after ten seasons i don't know how garnett fans can even argue this with a straight face. the guy is a clear cut number 2 option when the game is on the line.
jody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #39
Woody21
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Woody21 has an OK reputation so far
Red face !?

Kevin Garnett is not overrated... i've got to admit that it was pretty ballsy of you to start this thread because it's a given that you would get **** for it.
Woody21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #40
joewait
National High School Star

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

Yes he is overrated. He's an amazing stat stuffer and top 5 in the NBA, but you can't count on him in the 4th quarter. He gets more respect than he deserves because he's a black guy from the streets who swears a lot, loses his temper and shoves people when he's losing, and sweats profusely, which apparently to "hardcore" fans makes him a superstar
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #41
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewait
Yes he is overrated. He's an amazing stat stuffer and top 5 in the NBA, but you can't count on him in the 4th quarter. He gets more respect than he deserves because he's a black guy from the streets who swears a lot, loses his temper and shoves people when he's losing, and sweats profusely, which apparently to "hardcore" fans makes him a superstar
Unless people are calling him better than top five, he's NOT overrated.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #42
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/overrated

Anyone else who's going to post in this thread, please do a little reading before weighing in on whether Garnett's overrated or not.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #43
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
he is the least dangerous MVP of all time i reckon. in the fourth quarter he has almost zero ability to win games. maybe that's not quite accurate, maybe he has the ability but not the desire, but whatever it is, he either can't or won't win close games. period. there's absolutely, ABSOLUTELY no room for argument here. none. zip. zilch. after ten seasons i don't know how garnett fans can even argue this with a straight face. the guy is a clear cut number 2 option when the game is on the line.

The problem is it hasn't always been that way. You're blinded by last year and maybe the one before. That's my problem with all the KG doubters. He hasn't always been a liability in the 4th.

Quote:

You just said he was top 5, so is that why you think he's top 5? You sound like a hypocrite to me.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:48 PM   #44
joewait
National High School Star

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
The problem is it hasn't always been that way. You're blinded by last year and maybe the one before. That's my problem with all the KG doubters. He hasn't always been a liability in the 4th.

You just said he was top 5, so is that why you think he's top 5? You sound like a hypocrite to me.

He's overrated in that people in the Dirk vs KG thread (which has only been done about 50000000000000 times) were saying he'd kill Dirk one on one and that he is much better than Dirk.
Don't get me wrong I love Mr. Garnett, played in a pick up with him in Minneapolis, but the guy can't be counted on at all to win a game in the 4th.
I'd say he's certainly top 5 but definitely cannot be arguably the best player in the league.
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #45
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

If Dirk and KG were both 25 RIGHT NOW, you're telling me you would take Dirk over KG to build a team around?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: