Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Minnesota Timberwolves Forum

Minnesota Timberwolves Forum Minnesota Timberwolves forum - Minnesota T-Wolves message board

Old 07-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #46
joewait
National High School Star

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
If Dirk and KG were both 25 RIGHT NOW, you're telling me you would take Dirk over KG to build a team around?

Yes I would. Dirk has proven over and over the last 2 years that he's better than Mr. Garnett. He's a capable defender and his offensive ability is far superior to that of Mr. Garnett's. And he's about 89 times more clutch. And Dirk is an anomaly in that he's the only NBA player of his generation who manages to improve every single year, somehow. it's amazing when you think about it.
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #47
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If you're going to say Dirk has capable defense, then KG has more than capable offense. So you're taking Dirk because he's more clutch basically.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #48
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

InLebronWeTrust has decent reputation

dont give me that.. Overrated. If he had some talent around him I'm sure he could be a leader. But heknows he has to do everything by himself night in and night out.
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #49
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

lol, nice avatar.

I think at team of

PG- Foye
SG- Hassell
SF- Davis
PF- Garnett
C- FA (Wright?)

could compete for a playoff spot if they just get it together.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #50
joewait

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
If you're going to say Dirk has capable defense, then KG has more than capable offense. So you're taking Dirk because he's more clutch basically.

I didn't see any teams going at Dirk when he was on defense. He gets blocks, boards, steals, and plays solid defense. Mr. Garnett is great but he isn't getting better. He's never really added versatility to his offensive game and there isn't much more he can improve on defensively. Dirk on the other hand somehow manages to make significant improvments every single season, so why wouldn't I choose him over Mr. Garnett?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #51
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

"Mr. Garnett" has one of the most complete defensive skillsets out there. So while Dirk keeps improving, instead of saying sky's the limit, you might as well say KG's the limit because Dirk isn't gonna get better than KG is right now.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:15 PM   #52
joewait

Quote:
"Mr. Garnett" has one of the most complete defensive skillsets out there. So while Dirk keeps improving, instead of saying sky's the limit, you might as well say KG's the limit because Dirk isn't gonna get better than KG is right now.

He does have one of the most complete defensive skillsets. And yet he's totally not dominant, doesn't get to the line in the 4th, and doesn't force opposing teams to completely adapt their defensive scheme to trying to stop him, like Dirk does. You'll never see him pull off a 3 pt play at the end of a game 7 like Dirk did vs the Spurs. He'd rather just pass the ball and hope someone else scores.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:20 PM   #53
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
He does have one of the most complete defensive skillsets. And yet he's totally not dominant, doesn't get to the line in the 4th, and doesn't force opposing teams to completely adapt their defensive scheme to trying to stop him, like Dirk does. You'll never see him pull off a 3 pt play at the end of a game 7 like Dirk did vs the Spurs. He'd rather just pass the ball and hope someone else scores.

I've seen him do much better than that.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #54
mike_ike12
Can barely lace up my sneakers

mike_ike12 has an OK reputation so far
Default KG

In my opinion I woudn't call KG overrated. I would call him underrated. In all the first round series his TEAMS lost they were the lower seed. It's very tough to beat a higher seed in the NBA because the higher seeds get homecourt adavantage. The year the Wolves made it to the West Finals; I believe they were the 1st or 2nd seed, and they ended up losing to a good Lakers team. A Lakers team that could really turn it on (that Lakers team went on to get beat by the bulldog Pistons in the 03-04 Finals). Cassell, Sprewell did very well during that long playoff run of 03-04, but they don't deserve all the credit as someone said in an earlier post. They had a good coach in Filp Saunders, scoring from Walley World off the bench, KG's usual all around good games, and defense/hustle from good role players (Mad dog Madsen/Ervin Johnson to name a couple of those role players). Over his career KG has averages of 20+ points, 10-13 rebs, 5 assists, 2 blocks, and 1 steal. Those are MVP numbers. I would take him on my team in a heartbeat.
mike_ike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #55
jecee101
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jecee101 has an OK reputation so far

imma have to go with him being underrated too. the guy can flat out put numbers on the board. i would choose him over dirk. kg has far superior defense. they both have the will to win its just that KG doesnt have backup to make the win happen.
jecee101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #56
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrubeingcool9
i think Garrnett is overrated. love the gatorade commercial and hes one of the freakiest athletes of the game who changed basketball forever with his skill level BUT he has not proved anything. hmm let start with the ooohis streak of 6 or 7 years of exiting in the first round. Then the year they made it to the finals against lakers, credit should be given to Cassle and Sprewell, cassel proved it again this year with the Clip. Then last year, he couldnt even compete for the playoffs. How can a player who is always mentioned as one of the best not lead his team past the 1st round or even make the playoffs. hmm even some players who are regularly criticised, ie allen iverson, kobe bryant, ray allen have lead they're teams to the playoffs. In my opinon, Garrnett has all the talent in the world but his problem is he isnt a winner. He didnt learn to win, most of the great players learned to win in college(jordan, grant hill, duncan) He has the heart of a champion but lacks that special ability. trade the guy and save his career....

u asked how can a top player like KG not lead his team to the playoffs?... he did for 8 or 9 straight seasons with most of his teammates sucking. he CARRIED this franchise on his back his whole career. the only reason he's not making the playoffs now is b/c wolves management isnt keeping up with the rest of the NBA and their not making moves in free agency or trades or anything, the other teams are getting better, surrounding their stars with capable players.

i can only think of 3 other players who coulda made the playoffs with teams like KG has; Kobe(only b/c he did it this year, even though his team was better than what most of KG had to work with during his career, and maybe lebron?

shaq has always had penny, kobe, wade. jordan always had pippen(he still woulda won though). duncan had robinson, manu, parker, etc.

thats my opinion, and...

please do not ask another question like this again, especially if u only have 3 posts.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #57
browntown

browntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's not like Drik plays good every fourth quarter. I remeber in the most important game of his life game 6 of the NBA finals Dirk onyl had 2 points of off free throws. So my point is occaisonly every player shy's away from the 4th quarter even Joewaits Dirk.
browntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:56 PM   #58
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

to be a great player you don't have to be a go-to 4th quarter scorer. shaq's great. he's got 3 finals mvps and 4 rings and more consecutive 20-10 seasons than anybody ever, but he was not a closer either. if you look at garnett's stats over the years, his ability to carry his team in games no matter what they need from him, he's one of the three or four top power forwards ever. he just needs a strong closer to finish off games for him. bill russell had havlicek, heinson, and sam jones. shaq had kobe. hakeem had elie, cassell, horry, and clyde. kareem had magic and worthy. duncan had horry, elie, elliot, and kerr. malone had stockton. big guys have traditionally needed perimter players to take over the end of 4th quarters when it is so tough to get them the ball in scoring position. when kg had a healthy cassell doing it he made the conference finals. the exceptions that spring to mind are barkley and dirk who both of a lot of guard skills (though dirk's not as consistent).
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #59
305Baller
LeBron's ex-girlfriend

305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board

Garnett is underrated right now. He is a good player that had an off year on a bad franchise. FREE KG.
305Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #60
jody
High school junior varsity star

jody has an OK reputation so far

it all boils down to "His team sucks." oh really? his team sucks for 11 years in a row?

maybe it's just more likely that he's not the number 1 or 2 player in the NBA. so yes, he's definitely overrated. i'm not sure he's even in the top 5 anymore, and in reality he was never, NEVER higher than number 3. duncan and o'neal were always better and more useful players.
jody is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: