Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 07-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster
Exclamation So what did Indiana get for Artest exactly?

NOTHING!

is larry bird an overrated executive??? i'm starting to think so.

discuss.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He picked a good coach, at least. Should have got more for Artest but the Pacer woes are more result of Artest's insanity and injuries than bad management. And no one is saying Larry's the best GM in the league or anything.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

Joey Zaza is considered somewhat coolJoey Zaza is considered somewhat coolJoey Zaza is considered somewhat cool

I was going to post an extremely similiar topic.

D.Walsh is one of my favorite executives. The way he rebuilt the NBA Finals Pacers into another top-quality team in under 2 years without the benefit f stinking and getting top picks was a thing of beauty. See Geoff Petrie - also a great exec - trying to do the same thing with much less success...but the Artest fiasco was one of the worst front-office jobs of recent memory (and I follow the KNicks),

Lets re-trace, before Artest was suspended for the season, he had rediculously high value. Probbaly not a McGrady trade, but they could've gotten Vince, the same way the Nets got him for a few bad draft picks. But they sat and waited saying - we'll have him back next year, its not a long time to wait.

Reasonable approach, but every day he didn;t play, he drifted further from people's minds.

The following season he starts off a little slow, says something stupid to the media - the same stupid thing every spoiled player says to the media - and NOW they want to trade him and they are so public about it that they suspend himuntil they can trade him.

Now every team knows this and with each passing game as the deadline approaches his value sinks further and further until all they can get is Maggette and (expiring) Peja. If they just would've let Artest play - and presumably play well (don;t all teams showcase the talent they are trying to trade - isnt that a good idea) they could have gotten maybe Carmelo for him.

Instead, they suspended him to only get Peja...who played like crap for them - and now he expired, so they have nothing.

Terrible. Awful judgment and execution.
Joey Zaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
I was going to post an extremely similiar topic.

D.Walsh is one of my favorite executives. The way he rebuilt the NBA Finals Pacers into another top-quality team in under 2 years without the benefit f stinking and getting top picks was a thing of beauty. See Geoff Petrie - also a great exec - trying to do the same thing with much less success...but the Artest fiasco was one of the worst front-office jobs of recent memory (and I follow the KNicks),

Lets re-trace, before Artest was suspended for the season, he had rediculously high value. Probbaly not a McGrady trade, but they could've gotten Vince, the same way the Nets got him for a few bad draft picks. But they sat and waited saying - we'll have him back next year, its not a long time to wait.

Reasonable approach, but every day he didn;t play, he drifted further from people's minds.

The following season he starts off a little slow, says something stupid to the media - the same stupid thing every spoiled player says to the media - and NOW they want to trade him and they are so public about it that they suspend himuntil they can trade him.

Now every team knows this and with each passing game as the deadline approaches his value sinks further and further until all they can get is Maggette and (expiring) Peja. If they just would've let Artest play - and presumably play well (don;t all teams showcase the talent they are trying to trade - isnt that a good idea) they could have gotten maybe Carmelo for him.

Instead, they suspended him to only get Peja...who played like crap for them - and now he expired, so they have nothing.

Terrible. Awful judgment and execution.

Bird didn't want to take back a long term deal, which was a mistake.

Then he was interested in Maggette, but Maggette got hurt, so he said no to that.

He gambled that no one would overpay for Peja. That was a mistake.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

looks robo **** look like a genious
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
ihatekobenjordan
Banned

ihatekobenjordan has not been impressing people

It's not Bird's fault. Pacers were just unlucky. It all started when David Stern screwed the Pacers by suspending Artest. Stern destroys small market teams like the Pacers.
ihatekobenjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Nonsense. I disagreed with the length of the suspension Artest got for charging into the stands myself, but there's no doubt that Artest merited the suspensions he got as a Pacer (I just disagree with the length of one of them).
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
420puffer
Kids at the park dunk on me

420puffer has an OK reputation so far

Pacers are in a hole now. They should just trade Jermaine for some young guys and an expiring contract so they can rebuild. Pistons dont have it as bad as Pacers as some might be saying.
420puffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

Joey Zaza is considered somewhat coolJoey Zaza is considered somewhat coolJoey Zaza is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatekobenjordan
It's not Bird's fault. Pacers were just unlucky. It all started when David Stern screwed the Pacers by suspending Artest. Stern destroys small market teams like the Pacers.

What was "unlucky" about choosing to sus[pend Artest for 2 months this season and letting his value plummet?
Old 07-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #10
bk33
duck my sick

bk33 has decent reputation

as good as artest was, i don't think he could've gotten indiana melo the cash cow.
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #11
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

At his best, Arteast was netting an inexpensive 20,5&5 with 2 spg. If he was playing at that level and Indy was winning, could've gotten almost any player - not KObe,Duncan,Garnett,Wade,Lebron,Shaq...but Marion, if Pho is looking to clear some cap.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #12
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

they are in a bad position right now, but I cant really fault Bird all that much....Maybe he could have possibly gotten more than Peja, but there was not much they could have done to avoid this situation. They got jerked by Peja (cant fault Peja tho, he got paid and moved on)....I actually have sympathy for Bird on this one. He tried to get rid of artest and make the team better...but he failed, and we'll have to wait and see just how bad he failed
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #13
dgilbert
Decent playground baller

dgilbert has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
NOTHING!

is larry bird an overrated executive??? i'm starting to think so.

discuss.
i wouldn't make that point on that trade, when star players quit on there teams, and do everything to completely destroy there value on the market, this is what happens, teams have to give them away, not unlike vince
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #14
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Shawne Williams? Stupid, stupid selection.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #15
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

Quote:
.I actually have sympathy for Bird on this one. He tried to get rid of artest and make the team better...but he failed, and we'll have to wait and see just how bad he failed

You see you basically answered your own question of why he failed. You cant get rid of a player as good as Artest and make the team better. There are about 5-10 guys in the entire league that you can even hold ground on when its Artest, nevermind get better. That is where they went wrong. Nevermind when you basically engineer a complete devaluation of him and then trade him. Basically Indiana royally ****ed themselves. They made Artest seem like a complete cancer for saying something that pretty much every player has said at one point. They made the situation and burnt themselves, cant feel sorry for that to be honest.

They made Artest a villian basically and then put him on the shelf, they put him past his used by date so to speak. Either stick with and by him(which they should have done, especially after he apoligized) or trade him when that suspension happened(as big a joke as it was). Badly handled.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: