Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 07-05-2006, 12:05 PM   #16
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
You see you basically answered your own question of why he failed. You cant get rid of a player as good as Artest and make the team better. There are about 5-10 guys in the entire league that you can even hold ground on when its Artest, nevermind get better. That is where they went wrong. Nevermind when you basically engineer a complete devaluation of him and then trade him. Basically Indiana royally ****ed themselves. They made Artest seem like a complete cancer for saying something that pretty much every player has said at one point. They made the situation and burnt themselves, cant feel sorry for that to be honest.

They made Artest a villian basically and then put him on the shelf, they put him past his used by date so to speak. Either stick with and by him(which they should have done, especially after he apoligized) or trade him when that suspension happened(as big a joke as it was). Badly handled.

I think Artest is really to blame for the mess in Indiana. He made himself into a villian by going into the stands and punching dudes in the mouth (granted, I cant say I wouldnt do the same thing and I believe the fans involved deserved what they got).......He continued the shenanigans when he returned.. I agree that maybe Bird and co. jumped the gun, but i can hardly blame them. Artest's teammates were ready for him to play elsewhere as well as the coaching staff.... after he came back and kept acting up, he forced the Pacer's hand.

My original post was more a statment than a question......Possibly Bird could have gotten better than Peja, but I can see what he was trying to accomplish...It just backfired....

I think the Pacers tried pretty hard not to villify Artest..they stuck by him for a long while....but he wouldnt stop the madness...Ron Artest is a fantastic player, but I'd be worried about his mental state daily if I was the GM/Owner/Coach/Teammate of his.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #17
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
They made Artest seem like a complete cancer for saying something that pretty much every player has said at one point. They made the situation and burnt themselves, cant feel sorry for that to be honest.

They made Artest a villian basically and then put him on the shelf, they put him past his used by date so to speak. Either stick with and by him(which they should have done, especially after he apoligized) or trade him when that suspension happened(as big a joke as it was). Badly handled.

co-signed. Indy has really fallen off since Bird was given Walsh's keys.
Joey Zaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:09 PM   #18
NBAfan32
High school junior varsity star

They got Peja for half a season is what they got.
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #19
thabigdg
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
co-signed. Indy has really fallen off since Bird was given Walsh's keys.

I never understood why Donnie Walsh, easy one of the top 5 GM's in the game, relinquished even a small bit of his personnel power.
thabigdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:25 PM   #20
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420puffer
Pacers are in a hole now. They should just trade Jermaine for some young guys and an expiring contract so they can rebuild. Pistons dont have it as bad as Pacers as some might be saying.

trade their only bonafide all-star and low post threat, huh? yeah right. as of right now, o'neal is their only ticket to a decent season cause anthony johnson can't carry the team on his back alone.

rebuilding a team is an easy way out and is a move made all too often now in the league. what does rebuilding say for the coaching staff? i believe a coach is there to make the most out of the team that he has and swapping players out every year is not the answer.

as for the peja deal, i really believe bird thought he would re-sign and play again. i wasn't too impressed with his game anyway so i say good riddance. 3pt shooters are a dime a dozen.

Last edited by jbot : 07-05-2006 at 02:28 PM.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:34 PM   #21
KingofKings718
Great young streetballer

Keep JO. He's one of the best bigs in the NBA. And nowadays, effective bigs are hard to come by.

Ron Artest needed to go. After the Pacers stood by this cat through all the hard times, and he acts a fool and demands a trade.
KingofKings718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #22
dmenzion
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
Shawne Williams? Stupid, stupid selection.

hey dont redicule larry hes a gr8 GM...last year he got granger this yr williams
i know williams is a freshman, but hey i mean....in 4 or 5 yrs the knicks will be sayin why didnt we take Williams, we got balkman haha lol
dmenzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #23
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Peja was about 10X better than the second best player they could have gotten for Artest. Pity they couldn't resign him.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #24
SCY
Put yr guns up

10 x better than Maggette?
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #25
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmenzion
hey dont redicule larry hes a gr8 GM...last year he got granger this yr williams
i know williams is a freshman, but hey i mean....in 4 or 5 yrs the knicks will be sayin why didnt we take Williams, we got balkman haha lol

I am positive that Knick fans won't be saying this 5 years from now considering that Indiana picked Shawne Williams 17th overall while Isiah and the Knicks picked Renaldo Balkman 20th overall. You didn't take Williams at the 20th overall spot because he wasn't available.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #26
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

who REALLY makes out like a bandit in this story? Geoff Petrie.

gave away an expiring contract for Ron freakn Artest.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #27
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

They got nothing for Artest, but they were smart not to pay Peja the kind of money that the Hornets paid him.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: