Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > G League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

G League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum G League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-22-2016, 02:23 AM   #781
DoctorP
Retired.

Default Re: 2016 Team USA Basketball discussion: Gold medal game vs Serbia, Sunday 2:45pm ET

Yawn. Oh, they did what they were supposed to.

DoctorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:16 AM   #782
gabepizza
Local High School Star

Default Re: 2016 Team USA Basketball discussion: Gold medal game vs Serbia, Sunday 2:45pm ET

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKAri
Finally Durant killing it. Just like 2010, where it was Durant > USA > rest. Durant was far and away the best player on that team and dominated like everyone knows he can.

Basketball is like dodgeball in Brazil bruh Soccer players are Gods there. Why would anyone even try basketball?

I thought we were discussing population size but if we're discussing the popularity of basketball in the competing countries remember that basketball is a secondary sport in the US too where football is king.
gabepizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #783
PAOK
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: 2016 Team USA Basketball discussion: USA beats Serbia, wins gold medal

Well the US are in an ideal situation as far as basketball goes

*Large population/talent pool (smaller European countries cant compete)

*Basketball culture (other large countries like India don't care about sports)

*Great financial stability and support both in college and professionally (in contrast to many talented eastern European countries where there arent any $$)

So if you take into consideration all these factors, it is natural for the US dominate the sport

The only country that can come close in the future is probably china, but the problem is that asians in general are not athletically suited for basketball, and they are pouring more money into football/soccer
PAOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #784
gabepizza
Local High School Star

Default Re: 2016 Team USA Basketball discussion: USA beats Serbia, wins gold medal

Final thoughts on the tournament.

While everyone was criticizing this team for struggling in poor play when the gold medal game came they were more dominant than any team since Dream Team II in 1996. Unlike the other recent Olympic teams that coasted through pool play and the early knockout rounds to have their only challenge in the gold medal game against Spain...this team was challenged in pool play and then the semi-final but then totally coasted in the gold medal game.

The real game of the tournament was the semi-final game between Spain and the US.

Serbia is once again becoming a top FIBA team but they match-up horrible against the US. Yes they played the tightest game against the US this tournament with a shot to tie at the end, but that game didn't really matter. The US could have lost that game and still won gold. But in the two gold medal games (Olympics & WC) they lost by 30 and 37 compare that to Spain who in their two Olympic gold medal games against the US only lost by 11 and 7 and the games were competitive in the 4th quarter.

Spain's teams has NBA all-stars/former all stars and is filled with current/former/arriving NBA player while Serbia just had one current NBA player and like 1 or 2 former ones so the couldn't compete against an team filled with NBA all-stars..
Old 08-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #785
gabepizza
Local High School Star

[quote=PAOK]Well the US are in an ideal situation as far as basketball goes

*Large population/talent pool (smaller European countries cant compete)

*Basketball culture (other large countries like India don't care about sports)

*Great financial stability and support both in college and professionally (in contrast to many talented eastern European countries where there arent any $$)

So if you take into consideration all these factors, it is natural for the US dominate the sport

The only country that can come close in the future is probably china, but the problem is that asians in general are not athletically suited for basketball, and they are pouring more money into football/soccer[/QUOTE

Yes and the US, I believe is going to keep it's domination. As we all know football is the #1 in America but with all the news about brain injuries parents are going to stop their kids from playing football eventually. I'm not talking about in 5 years but in the next 20-30 years. Right now the majority of American athletes go into football but I see in the next 20-30 years more Americans going into basketball/soccer. This will make us more competitive in soccer and keep our dominance in basketball.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #786
Nick Young
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabepizza

While everyone was criticizing this team for struggling in poor play when the gold medal game came they were more dominant than any team since Dream Team II in 1996. Unlike the other recent Olympic teams that coasted through pool play and the early knockout rounds to have their only challenge in the gold medal game against Spain...this team was challenged in pool play and then the semi-final but then totally coasted in the gold medal game.

The real game of the tournament was the semi-final game between Spain and the US.

Serbia is once again becoming a top FIBA team but they match-up horrible against the US. Yes they played the tightest game against the US this tournament with a shot to tie at the end, but that game didn't really matter. The US could have lost that game and still won gold. But in the two gold medal games (Olympics & WC) they lost by 30 and 37 compare that to Spain who in their two Olympic gold medal games against the US only lost by 11 and 7 and the games were competitive in the 4th quarter.

Spain's teams has NBA all-stars/former all stars and is filled with current/former/arriving NBA player while Serbia just had one current NBA player and like 1 or 2 former ones so the couldn't compete against an team filled with NBA all-stars..
I think Europe's only advantage over US is they still have a lot of old school low post big men. In game 1 against Serbia in pool play, Miroslav Raduljica was going off. He got in to foul trouble in the gold medal game and had no impact at all, and Serbia got blown out.

Serbia needs more bruiser big men to backup Raduljica. Countries with guys like that have a chance. If Lithuania had better shooters they would be a challenge too, they have a lot of strong big men coming up.

It doesn't matter very much because we have such a talent advantage everywhere else, but skilled old school big men are a weakness of team USA in FIBA play.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #787
I know you are
but what am I?

I find myself rooting against Team USA. I want the Olympics to be exciting. There is no drama with USA winning repeatedly.
I know you are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:56 PM   #788
bdonovan
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorP
Yawn. Oh, they did what they were supposed to.

Yeah, but you celebrate achievement not merely performance against expectations or "surprises".
bdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:59 PM   #789
bdonovan
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:

Nice wrap-up. Why do you think Serbia performed so poorly in the finals compared to earlier against the US? I did watch the game; so I mean beyond the obvious like turning the ball over too much and missing open shots?
bdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:15 AM   #790
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonovan
Nice wrap-up. Why do you think Serbia performed so poorly in the finals compared to earlier against the US? I did watch the game; so I mean beyond the obvious like turning the ball over too much and missing open shots?

Team USA stopped blindly chasing over screens, and forced both Spain and Serbia to hit 3's. In the earlier games, we were selling out on perimeter defense and letting teams get layups and dunks. Moving Jordan to the starting unit also played huge dividends defensively. Honestly, the team would have played better if defensive players got more run. Guys like DrayGod, Butler, George, and even Lowry should have been getting starter minutes. That's not a dig at guys like Melo, Irving, and Cousins, but at the end of the day, there's only one ball, and you really only need two proficient scorers on the court. Having guys like Irving and Melo play in the same lineup as Durant only took away shot opportunities, because neither of those guys is a playmaker, and both tend to dominate the ball.

If I had to construct the lineups from the available players, my lineups would have looked like;

Kyrie / Lowry
Klay / Butler
Durant / George
DrayGod / Melo
Jordan / Cousins

Again, nothing to do with talent, and everything to do with balance. Hopefully our next FIBA/Olympics team place a heavy emphasis on defense, because we have plenty of guys who can put the ball in the hoop.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #791
SamuraiSWISH
For the Culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Team USA stopped blindly chasing over screens, and forced both Spain and Serbia to hit 3's. In the earlier games, we were selling out on perimeter defense and letting teams get layups and dunks. Moving Jordan to the starting unit also played huge dividends defensively. Honestly, the team would have played better if defensive players got more run. Guys like DrayGod, Butler, George, and even Lowry should have been getting starter minutes. That's not a dig at guys like Melo, Irving, and Cousins, but at the end of the day, there's only one ball, and you really only need two proficient scorers on the court. Having guys like Irving and Melo play in the same lineup as Durant only took away shot opportunities, because neither of those guys is a playmaker, and both tend to dominate the ball.

If I had to construct the lineups from the available players, my lineups would have looked like;

Kyrie / Lowry
Klay / Butler
Durant / George
DrayGod / Melo
Jordan / Cousins

Again, nothing to do with talent, and everything to do with balance. Hopefully our next FIBA/Olympics team place a heavy emphasis on defense, because we have plenty of guys who can put the ball in the hoop.
Totally agree. Much like that 2014 team. Once they stopped playing poor defense, and got the rotations more balanced, it was pretty much smooth sailing. Had to get past the senority stuff unfortunately. Your lineups were my ideal ones as well. I still found issues with the roster as a whole.
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:39 PM   #792
ShawkFactory
NBA lottery pick

I feel like Euroleague used to inhabit this thread.

Perhaps it was just a dream

Last edited by ShawkFactory : 08-26-2016 at 12:45 PM.
ShawkFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:40 PM   #793
Steven Kerry
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
I feel like Euroleague used to inhabit this thread.

Perhaps is was just a dream
Steven Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #794
Dro
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by I know you are
I find myself rooting against Team USA. I want the Olympics to be exciting. There is no drama with USA winning repeatedly.
Well, I usually root for the underdog so deep down, I guess I root for USA to lose also. It IS boring watching them win every game. Even in the close games, I never feel like they're actually going to lose.
Dro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #795
FKAri
NBA All-star

Quote:

Yes and the US, I believe is going to keep it's domination. As we all know football is the #1 in America but with all the news about brain injuries parents are going to stop their kids from playing football eventually. I'm not talking about in 5 years but in the next 20-30 years. Right now the majority of American athletes go into football but I see in the next 20-30 years more Americans going into basketball/soccer. This will make us more competitive in soccer and keep our dominance in basketball.
I think even in the last 15 years or so if you are an athlete who has equal chances for the NFL and NBA, you are going to chose the NBA. The NFL career is shorter, less financially rewarding and more brutal. The only advantage in going the NFL route is there are more jobs (at least in the US). I can't think of a great prospect in both basketball and football who chose football anytime recently.
FKAri is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: