Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 07-31-2016, 01:31 AM   #1
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Y'all musta forgot

Yeah, I'm pulling a Doomsday/-pt- here, but for good reason.

Josh Gordon is re-in-motherf#cking-stated. He is still only 25, younger than Alshon Jeffery, TY Hilton, Kelvin Benjamin, Doug Baldwin, etc.

Meanwhile, in his 25 games as a professional, he averages 17.1 yards per reception with the likes of Brandon Weeden, Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer throwing him the ball.

For comparison sake, Julio Jones averaged 13.8 yards per reception last year. Dez Bryant, you ask? 12.9 ypr. Odell Beckham Jr? 15.1 ypr. Jordy Nelson in 2014? 15.5 ypr. Antonio Brown... 13.5.

And those are just great receivers and their (at most) 16-game season yards per reception averages. Gordon blows their numbers away averaged out over three years.

Since he became a full-time starter in 2013, he has averaged 103 yards per game. Over that span, he is near the top in the NFL as well.

Yes, the man has faced some (in my mind relatively minor) issues. He will be on thin ice and he can't afford to make a mistake.

But, with open arms, I'm ready to embrace this once again...

RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:14 AM   #2
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Default Re: Y'all musta forgot

shouldnt have ever been suspended in the first place
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:59 AM   #3
Bless Mathews
454 Dumper

Niggah is a BEAST!

Big, fast.

Good Poast

Ypr stats really puts in perspective just how explosive and hard to Tackle he is.

Good luck this year rba!
Bless Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:54 PM   #4
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

You know you just jinxed the situation right?

There is still a whole 5 weeks left for him to spark a blunt...that's a long time for him
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Indeed fellas.

Let us not also forget that a certain QB the Browns picked up in the offseason used to hit Gordon on deep routes at Baylor.

Speaking of Baylor, getting Gordon back not only brings a special playmaker to the team, it could open things up for our 1st round pick, Corey Coleman.

With Gordon and Gary Barnidge taking a lot of defensive attention away from him, Coleman could thrive in the second half of the season.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #6
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
You know you just jinxed the situation right?

There is still a whole 5 weeks left for him to spark a blunt...that's a long time for him
It's a no-lose situation for me, because I didn't expect him to be re-instated so soon anyways. If he can't go 5 weeks without smoking weed, so be it. We'll be right back where I thought we were a week ago.

I think that being allowed to participate in team meetings, practices, etc. will help him.

How long before the NFL stops their stringent marijuana testing anyway? It's antiquated and stupid and everyone knows it.

Furthermore, it wasn't even weed this last time. He missed the entire 2015 season because he had a couple of drinks after the Browns' season had ended. When you're in the league's substance abuse program, you're not allowed to drink during the season. He thought "during the season" meant during his season... but they continued testing him through the Super Bowl.

It's insane to me that this was enough to kick him out of the league entirely for a full year.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:18 PM   #7
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
How long before the NFL stops their stringent marijuana testing anyway? It's antiquated and stupid and everyone knows it.
They've already cut back on it a compared to other drugs...that's why he is playing

You have to fail like 4 tests before getting your first 4 game ban...then a 10 game ban...then a season ban

All these dudes that are suspended for pot have failed a ton of tests...look at Randy Gregory, dude failed 2 tests in a row before the season has started, he's failed like 5 total...it's nuts.

Aldon Smith too now

Some of these players just simply can't get away from pot, and when it comes to players like that, it should never be a surprise when they are busted AGAIN for the 13th fcking time.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
They've already cut back on it a compared to other drugs...that's why he is playing

You have to fail like 4 tests before getting your first 4 game ban...then a 10 game ban...then a season ban

All these dudes that are suspended for pot have failed a ton of tests...look at Randy Gregory, dude failed 2 tests in a row before the season has started, he's failed like 5 total...it's nuts.

Aldon Smith too now

Some of these players just simply can't get away from pot, and when it comes to players like that, it should never be a surprise when they are busted AGAIN for the 13th fcking time.
I don't think anyone will be surprised if Gordon tests positive again, though I don't think it is something the NFL wants at this point... I will say that.

Gordon came into the league with strikes against him from his time at Baylor, which is bullsh!t imo. You should be able to start fresh in the NFL.

Like I said, I never expected to have him back for the 5th week this year (or at all) so it is gravy at this point. That's why the news was so great ... it came out of nowhere. Obviously I knew he was appealing to be re-instated, but I never thought it would be such a quick decision and that he'd only get a 4 game suspension.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:53 PM   #9
ROCSteady
One of One

I'm rooting for your offense to explode (particularly vs Baltimore) but damn I hate the new uniforms y'all wear.

Should never switched from the classics
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:56 PM   #10
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
I'm rooting for your offense to explode (particularly vs Baltimore) but damn I hate the new uniforms y'all wear.

Should never switched from the classics
Most Browns fans agree, including me.

There are some combinations with the new uniforms that look OK, but for the most part they look more collegiate than professional.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:50 PM   #11
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Yeah, Browns jerseys are the OKC unis of the NFL. Loved the old ones tho.

I do hope the Browns are good tho we could have some fun games for PIT vs CLE with those two offenses. Kinda shitty that the Steelers are the ones with key offensive players who can't pass a drug test these days lol.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:05 AM   #12
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
It's a no-lose situation for me, because I didn't expect him to be re-instated so soon anyways. If he can't go 5 weeks without smoking weed, so be it. We'll be right back where I thought we were a week ago.

I think that being allowed to participate in team meetings, practices, etc. will help him.

Furthermore, it wasn't even weed this last time. He missed the entire 2015 season because he had a couple of drinks after the Browns' season had ended. When you're in the league's substance abuse program, you're not allowed to drink during the season. He thought "during the season" meant during his season... but they continued testing him through the Super Bowl.

It's insane to me that this was enough to kick him out of the league entirely for a full year.

glad to see him back. he's immensely talented. stay away from the dope now and avoid those friends that tempt you into it.

i'll play devil's advocate...shouldn't he have checked that 'his' season didn't extend to the nfl's.

i agree the testing is a joke, but it is improving as prime said. it's all politics. once it is legalized in most states or on a federal level, nfl will revert back. right now, they want to keep that image going.

as more and more studies get out, the more and more stupid the anti-pot people look. it's all politics, lobbies and big pharm.

the nevada state athletic committee banned nick diaz from fighting for...five years over multiple positive marijuana tests. five years bruh. it could be worse for el gordo. you don't even get popped for more than two years most places for got damn PEDs.

anyway, like i said, could be worse. a lot of areas in asia have the strictest, most absurd cannabis laws in the world.

but hey, getting way off topic here
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #13
West-Side
Goat Loading

He's Odell without the media attention. It seems like it's been forever since I saw him last. Didn't he lead the league in yards in only 13 games or something? If he comes back to the same form, he's every cent as good as Brown, Jones and Odell. I'm happy he's back, it's good for the game. Dude was putting up Randy Moss YPC before the suspension.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

he was awful when he played those 5 games prior to last season.

He may be more motivated playing with his buddy RG3.

I have 0 expectations for him or the Browns in general.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #15
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
he was awful when he played those 5 games prior to last season.

He may be more motivated playing with his buddy RG3.

I have 0 expectations for him or the Browns in general.
I wouldn't go as far as to say he was "awful." The team was in late-season form and it looked like he was just beginning to learn the playbook (he wasn't allowed to practice during his suspension). Hoyer was basically just throwing the ball up to him.

He actually had 8 catches for 120 yards in a win at Atlanta in his first game back.

Things went off the cliff from there, but we also closed the last four games against stiff competition and the entire team played like sh!t. Also, the coaching staff decided to hand the team over to Johnny Manziel ... who is objectively bad.

For the first time since I can remember, I actually have some faith in the coaching staff and Gordon's talent can't be denied. If anyone can turn that offense around, it's Hue Jackson (of the available options of course). This is a guy who has made Andy Dalton look like a competent NFL quarterback for years... and he's gotten a lot of receivers paid.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: