Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
1987_Lakers
5-time NBA All-Star

Default Will the Raiders make the playoffs for the first time since 2002?

Finished 7-9 last season. Derek Carr will enter his 3rd year, has made improvements as QB year by year, Khalil Mack will also enter his 3rd year and he already looks he will have a HOF career on the defensive end. WR Amari Cooper will enter his 2nd year, had an explosive rookie year but injuries slowed him down as the year went on.

Free agent aqusitions: Kelechi Osemele (OL), Bruce Irvin (LB), Sean Smith (CB), Reggie Nelson (S).

Drafted hard hitting & versatile safety Karl Joseph in the 1st round to replace the retired Charles Woodson.

On paper they have arguably the best offensive line in the NFL, a young promising QB in Derek Carr, future pro bowl WR in Cooper and they have improved their defense over the offseason with free agent signing and in the draft.

What does ISH think? Are the playoffs a posibility for the Raiders?
1987_Lakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Bless Mathews
454 Dumper

Default Re: Will the Raiders make the playoffs for the first time since 2002?

Definitely a possibility.

I rode with em all year in my pick em league.

Got a couple big wins for me.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they won afc west.

Especially if the injury bug hits Denver and or kc.

Denver offense gonna struggle to start season for sure. And their defense lost players.

We'll see. If I had some decent odds in my favor, I'd put $$$$ they get in.
Bless Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Mex-Laker
Serious playground baller

Yes, they do have a chance..

It all dependes on Carr stepping up, he did have some great numbers, but I think when it mattered the most he was not very effective.

Anyways, I do believe the Raiders have what it takes to be in the playoffs, stacked team over there..
Mex-Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
ROCSteady
One of One

Love Derek Carr and his release.

The Raiders will be major contenders pretty soon
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Next year.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
T_L_P
The Beast In Me

Not this year.

I think people are overestimating how much better Carr-Cooper-Mack will be. I don't see any of them playing demonstrably better next year, and even if Khalil notches 20 Sacks, that probably won't win them any more games.

Their schedule is much tougher and their division is too good. They'll win 6 or 7 games again imo (I'm fairly certain that they'll win less than the Steelers, Bengals, Patriots, Chiefs and Broncos, and one AFCS team has to make the POs).

I do like them adding Reggie Nelson and the 2nd best LG in the league..
T_L_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:08 AM   #7
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

They're division is not that hard.

Broncos lost a lot of talent and have Sanchez as their QB. I'm not saying they are an average team, but on paper that's a beatable team.

Chargers were a disaster last year.

KC is a good team but Justin Houston is a huge part of their defense. It's like if Von Miller was taken out of the Broncos, it would send rippling effects throghout the team. Houston is out for awhile this season, most likely on the PUP list to start the year. That means he's going to miss at least 40 percent of the season, and it's no guarantee he comes back in the middle of the season as the same dominant Justin Houston we know.

They also lost Sean Smith, their #1 corner last year.

It's the easiest division in the AFC, IMO.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #8
T_L_P
The Beast In Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
They're division is not that hard.

Broncos lost a lot of talent and have Sanchez as their QB. I'm not saying they are an average team, but on paper that's a beatable team.

Chargers were a disaster last year.

KC is a good team but Justin Houston is a huge part of their defense. It's like if Von Miller was taken out of the Broncos, it would send rippling effects throghout the team. Houston is out for awhile this season, most likely on the PUP list to start the year. That means he's going to miss at least 40 percent of the season, and it's no guarantee he comes back in the middle of the season as the same dominant Justin Houston we know.

They also lost Sean Smith, their #1 corner last year.

It's the easiest division in the AFC, IMO.

Broncos didn't lose that much talent tbh, And last year they had the corpse of Peyton who's in the running for the worst Superbowl winning QB in like 20 years. Even if they are weaker, they are still more likely to be a great team than not.

The Chargers suck. No question about that. They're closer to being the third worst team in the AFC than they are Playoff contenders.

Don't agree with you on the Chiefs. IMO they could finish with the most wins in the conference. I think you're overrating what one player can do on a twenty-two man team, especially as he's not a QB. Houston missed the final six games last year and the Chiefs went 6-0.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #9
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Broncos lost their best interior defender & their best linebacker. Talib is being reported to possibly be suspended 8 games from a morning report today.

I have a hard time imagining them being the all-time great defense they were last year. A decline is on the horizon.

.....and Sanchez. Don't forget Sanchez.

Houston missed 5 games not 6, and they beat teams with a combined 26-54, inlcuding the 3 win Browns, 4 win Chargers and 5 win Ravens..............

They have no such schedule this year. They have to play these out of division games:

@Texans (Divison winner last year)

Vs. Jets (10 wins last year)

@Steelers (playoff team)

@Panthers (superbowl team)

@Colts (we are pretty good at home)

@Falcons (Historically a good home team under Matt Ryan, .500 team last year)

We'll see. It doesn't look like a recipe for the most wins in the conference.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #10
T_L_P
The Beast In Me

Quote:
Broncos lost their best interior defender & their best linebacker. Talib is being reported to possibly be suspended 8 games from a morning report today.

I have a hard time imagining them being the all-time great defense they were last year. A decline is on the horizon.

.....and Sanchez. Don't forget Sanchez.

So, they lost a couple of pieces that absolutely won't be the difference between them winning 12 games and how many the Raiders won?

And yes, Sanchez sucks. But so did their 2015 QBs and they still won.

Quote:
Houston missed 5 games not 6, and they beat teams with a combined 26-54, inlcuding the 3 win Browns, 4 win Chargers and 5 win Ravens..............

They have no such schedule this year. They have to play these out of division games:

@Texans (Divison winner last year)

Vs. Jets (10 wins last year)

@Steelers (playoff team)

@Panthers (superbowl team)

@Colts (we are pretty good at home)

@Falcons (Historically a good home team under Matt Ryan, .500 team last year)

We'll see. It doesn't look like a recipe for the most wins in the conference.

He went down way early in the Bills game. For all intents and purposes he did miss 6 games.

You have a point about their schedule to close the season, but it's the same thing as my first statement: this isn't nearly enough to put them below the Raiders next year. The Raiders have an equally hard schedule (15 in SoS with the Chiefs at 16, Broncos at 14) and didn't make any great improvements. Nothing to me suggests Carr will be that much better and even if Cooper and Mack step up another level that's not gonna earn them a lot more wins.

The only way I reasonably see them making it this year is if the rest of the AFC sucks and they sneak in as a Wildcard with 9 wins (the Broncos and Chiefs also earning Playoff spots). But that would mean the Playoff picture is something like:

AFCW: Broncos/Chiefs
AFCN: Steelers/Bengnals
AFCE: Patriots
AFCS: Texans
WC1: Chiefs
WC2: Raiders

That would suggest that the Raiders finish with a better record than either the Steelers or Bengals and the Jets. They're just not at that level yet.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:56 PM   #11
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Broncos lost their best interior defender & their best linebacker.

Derek Wolfe is probably more important. Consensus among Broncos fans was that Brandon Marshall was more important to re-sign than Trevathan as well. Talib is a crushing blow tho. I didn't think he'd get 8 games. That's a game changer. Chris Harris is still the better CB. Bradley Roby just continues to get better each year. Ray and Barrett are going to improve next season and I think Ray is in for a huge year. Malik Jackson/Trevathan are key losses but aren't as big as some people are making them out to be.

Peyton was straight up garbage last season. 9 TD's/17 INT's in like 10 games. More importantly he didn't have the mobility to run Kubiak's offense. He was Peyton so he was bigger himself than the offense so they tailed things to him which at times hurt the running game. Peyton in the playoffs was alright because he acted like a game manager but in the regular season he was easily the worst QB in the league and far worse than Sanchez/Siemian/Lynch will be. Denver's going to run the ball alot and try to cut the turnover's down where they were nearly ranked last.

Before the Talib news I thought Broncos would surprise some people. Some people don't realize that Peyton was beyond awful last year and that the defense has the pieces to not take a step back. With Talib gone the D's taking a step back. Talib/CHJ/Roby + Ward/Steward + the pass rush is nasty. Kayvon Webster on paper anyways is a big step backwards.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #12
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

I'd have a little more appreciation towards the QB who came in the last game of the season in relief of Osweiler and helped the team to a win which secured a first round bye and home field advantage throughout the playoffs...... then continued to play decent against the Steelers and played well against the Pats in the playoffs. He outplayed Brady.

I always got the feeling from Bronco fans they didn't/don't appreciate Peyton and what he meant to that org. He turned that definition of a mediocre franchise (8-8, 8-8, 4-8, 8-8, 7-9 the previous five seasons) into a perennial superbowl contender and no doubt helped in getting key free agents to come there like Talib, Ware, TJ Ward.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #13
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
I'd have a little more appreciation towards the QB who came in the last game of the season in relief of Osweiler and helped the team to a win which secured a first round bye and home field advantage throughout the playoffs...... then continued to play decent against the Steelers and played well against the Pats in the playoffs. He outplayed Brady.

I always got the feeling from Bronco fans they didn't/don't appreciate Peyton and what he meant to that org. He turned that definition of a mediocre franchise (8-8, 8-8, 4-8, 8-8, 7-9 the previous five seasons) into a perennial superbowl contender and no doubt helped in getting key free agents to come there like Talib, Ware, TJ Ward.

Peyton was huge for Denver. Nobody's denying that. My only complaint with Peyton during his time here was that come playoff time he always regressed big time from the RS, outside of this season where he was at his best during the playoffs.

He was brutal last year tho. Like easily the worst QB in the league. Once you factor in the control he had with the offense especially early on in the regular season and the situation becomes pretty bad. Like Kobe this year with the Lakers. I think Brock got overpaid and overrated this offseason but he was 100% in the right getting pissy over Peyton. He deserved to start over him.

Kudo's to Peyton stepping up in the playoffs. His first 10 games of the season tho it was miracle Denver was somehow winning. That KC game where he was 5-20 and had 4 picks was laugh out loud bad. His mobility was gone which Kubiak needed for his system and he had no arm strength to take advantage of DT/Sanders which this years QB will atleast be able to do.

Denver's offense will be entirely different this year. Far less pass attempts, run the ball more, manage the game for the defense and cut down on turnovers. Everybody's assuming Sanchez will start but don't think it's a guarantee. How Denver's defense was that good with Peyton turning the ball over like that I'm not sure. Offense gave the D zero help in the regular season, that'll change this year
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #14
El Gato Negro
History made 2016

They defiantly have a chance, but probably won't do much even if they do get in. Denver will almost certainly win that division.
El Gato Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:20 AM   #15
1987_Lakers
5-time NBA All-Star

7-2. #1 in AFC West.
1987_Lakers is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: