Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Another radio suspension

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...y_N.htm?csp=34

Quote:
McLEAN, Va. (AP) XM Satellite Radio suspended shock jocks Opie and Anthony for 30 days Tuesday, one week after they aired crude sex comments about Condoleezza Rice, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth and one day after they made light of the incident in their broadcast.

"Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter," Washington-based XM said in a statement. "The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them."

Opie and Anthony, who last week apologized for the sex comments, struck a more defensive tone on Monday's broadcast. They lamented the state of radio and what they perceived as excessive reactions to comments made by themselves and other radio disc jockeys.

"We're under the same scrutiny as (National Public Radio) it doesn't make sense," they said on Monday's show.

The pair also expressed sympathy for Don Imus, saying his career is now "gone, just because he was trying to entertain people."

This is just getting ridiculous.

Opie and Anthony suspended for comments they made on XM RADIO!

It isn't even public forum, it's subscription!!

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
l3bronBryant
I airball my layups
 
l3bronBryant's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: beaumaris
Posts: 73
l3bronBryant has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...y_N.htm?csp=34



This is just getting ridiculous.

Opie and Anthony suspended for comments they made on XM RADIO!

It isn't even public forum, it's subscription!!

Mathius
how cna they keep suspending everyone but the rumour i heard about ope and anthony is that with the merge of serious and XM that they dont want competition with howard stern (serious that is) because they havent accepted XM's terms yet so its up to them and howard doesnt want to be challenged by ope and anthony for the morning spot, so i just feel this whole hype about how on satelite radio you can say wat u want is b.s!
l3bronBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
statman32
NBA Legend
 
statman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,399
statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...y_N.htm?csp=34



This is just getting ridiculous.

Opie and Anthony suspended for comments they made on XM RADIO!

It isn't even public forum, it's subscription!!

Mathius
Opie and Anthony are idiots. That's why they got suspended. There is a certain way to go about a joke and Opie and Anthony suck about going that way and are not very creative.

BTW did XM and Sirius really merge???
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
l3bronBryant
I airball my layups
 
l3bronBryant's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: beaumaris
Posts: 73
l3bronBryant has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman32
Opie and Anthony are idiots. That's why they got suspended. There is a certain way to go about a joke and Opie and Anthony suck about going that way and are not very creative.

BTW did XM and Sirius really merge???

i think they are in the final stages and the other reason is that they have to pass this merge by the government (because creating a monopoly) so i think they are cleaning up the whole satelite radio
l3bronBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3bronBryant
how cna they keep suspending everyone but the rumour i heard about ope and anthony is that with the merge of serious and XM that they dont want competition with howard stern (serious that is) because they havent accepted XM's terms yet so its up to them and howard doesnt want to be challenged by ope and anthony for the morning spot, so i just feel this whole hype about how on satelite radio you can say wat u want is b.s!

Howard isn't exactly competition anymore. From what I understand the guy doesn't even want to work anymore. He'll do just about anything for publicity now. In fact, I haven't heard a peep about him since he went to Sirius outside of hearing Opie and Anthony talk about him.

I actually agree with a lot of what O&A have to say. Call them idiots if you want, but I think people should be able to say whatever the hell they want to on the radio. I find their programming both entertaining and funny, and it was even better before their free FM 2 year suspension.

Sex for Sam was one of the funniest bits I've ever heard of. I don't give a crap if someone found it offensive.

I can't walk outside my house without offending someone these days.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Showtime
Hardwood Hero
 
Showtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,369
Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Yeah, this is XM, which people need to pay to hear, so nobody should be suspended because it isnt' a public issue. This censorship is getting really scary.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,495
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Another radio suspension

you aint really funny if you can only entertain by tearing other people down...

Bunch of corny hacks filling up the radio waves, and now that these one trick pony's have their one trick taken away, they dont know how to 'entertain' anymore

I dont see what is the reason to be upset... these guys dont have a 'right' to make a living by destroying other people's name...

Quote:
one week after they aired crude sex comments about Condoleezza Rice, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth and one day after they made light of the incident in their broadcast.

I mean, Why is it necessary for these guys to make crude sex comments about these women on the air? Why is there a need to defend them here? I dont like any of those women and I still dont see why these jockeys need to be able to trash people in some way unrelated to what they do for a living..

even if they are on satellite and their boss still has a problem with their content, then I guess they still have to abide by the rules

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 05-18-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
you aint really funny if you can only entertain by tearing other people down...

Bunch of corny hacks filling up the radio waves, and now that these one trick pony's have their one trick taken away, they dont know how to 'entertain' anymore

I dont see what is the reason to be upset... these guys dont have a 'right' to make a living by destroying other people's name...


I mean, Why is it necessary for these guys to make crude sex comments about these women on the air? Why is there a need to defend them here? I dont like any of those women and I still dont see why these jockeys need to be able to trash people in some way unrelated to what they do for a living..

even if they are on satellite and their boss still has a problem with their content, then I guess they still have to abide by the rules

Whether or not you find it entertaining is irrelevant.

Whether or not you find it ok, is irrelevant.

The issue I'm talking about is the fact that censorship is getting completely out of hand.

People should have a choice of what they can say and listen to. It's in the Bill of Rights for a reason.

Instead, popular opinion and political agendas are determining what is ok and not ok to say. Which is not how this country was meant to be run.

It's almost to the point where anyone that's a member of an activist group can get someone thrown off the air.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,495
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
The issue I'm talking about is the fact that censorship is getting completely out of hand.

Its not censorship to tell a couple of hacks and a bigot to stop attacking people for the sake of 'entertainment'. Their employers obviously have a problem with their content....

Bill of Rights does not protect a disc jockey's 'right' to use degrading language against someone else.....there are no legal ramifications for what they said.. ..their boss doesnt have an obligation to pay them to say stuff that the boss doesnt want on his radio station... its that simple

its not a free speech issue
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Bill of Rights does not protect a disc jockey's 'right' to use degrading language against someone else.....

Actually it does.

Quote:
there are no legal ramifications for what they said.. ..their boss doesnt have an obligation to pay them to say stuff that the boss doesnt want on his radio station... its that simple

No, it's not that simple. It's a direct results of a standard thats been set by the Imus situation and the Janet Jackson situation before that.

It's just more of the same.

A quit giving me your high road crap. Every time an issue of race or gender comes up, you come in here running your mouth like your the hand of god.

Don't even try to tell me you never made fun of anyone before, or laughed at someone who did.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,495
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Actually it does.

no it doesnt mathius.... these guys simply dont have any right to broadcast that stuff on someone else's airwaves....

there is no way around that fact


Quote:
No, it's not that simple. It's a direct results of a standard thats been set by the Imus situation and the Janet Jackson situation before that.

it is that simple and unless you have some kind of legal document or precedent that says otherwise, you are just fooling yourself



Quote:
A quit giving me your high road crap. Every time an issue of race or gender comes up, you come in here running your mouth like your the hand of god.

I cant help it if Im not an idiot who lives to hear or see people treat others like sh*t(for no legitimate reason)

there is an evilness that has come over Americans...Some Americans feel like its their right to be mean to others for no real reason at all..America is turning into a country of rights but not a country of responsibility...

bunch self centered people living here,... people want the world to get better, but they dont wanna play even the smallest part in helping it get that way...there is no real need to have disc jockeys who randomly trash people for the sake of it.. people with an ounce of class dont seem to have these issues


Quote:
Don't even try to tell me you never made fun of anyone before, or laughed at someone who did.

Mathius

making fun of people doesnt mean you have the 'right' to do it on the air or on TV... Whats so hard to understand about that? you can make fun of whoever you please in your home or amongst your friends.. you cant sue your boss if he fires you for bringing it to the work place...These jockey's have obviously gone outside of what their bosses can tolerate... they got fired/suspended, not sent to jail.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
no it doesnt mathius.... these guys simply dont have any right to broadcast that stuff on someone else's airwaves....

there is no way around that fact

No, but that's not what you said. You said the Bill of Rights doesn't protect their right to use degrading language against someone.

It does. It's later laws that have been put in place by the Gov't to censor people that have put restrictions on our basic rights.

In fact, during the revolution, one of the earliest forms of public media was just some guy standing up in a crowd talking (like an early press conference I suppose).

One of the earliest freedoms was the right to speak out, against the government, or anything, because people were being persecuted in Britain for talking out against the government, or the church, etc. etc.

There wasn't meant to be any restrictions. Period. Unpopular speech was meant to be protected.

Quote:
it is that simple and unless you have some kind of legal document or precedent that says otherwise, you are just fooling yourself

Precedents are in place because someone set them. The leaders of XM are trying to take the high road and cover their asses because of the Imus situation, the Wee for Wii situation, etc. etc.

You can choose to ignore these things if you want, but if they hadn't happened, this suspension wouldn't have taken place either.

Quote:
I cant help it if Im not an idiot who lives to hear or see people treat others like sh*t(for no legitimate reason)

there is an evilness that has come over Americans...Some Americans feel like its their right to be mean to others for no real reason at all..America is turning into a country of rights but not a country of responsibility...

bunch self centered people living here,... people want the world to get better, but they dont wanna play even the smallest part in helping it get that way...there is no real need to have disc jockeys who randomly trash people for the sake of it.. people with an ounce of class dont seem to have these issues

Oh great, so your answer is to have government, or corporations decide what's right or wrong. That's real smart.

When are people going to take responsibility for their own actions?

If you don't like what's on the radio, turn the station. Some people find humor in it.

We're not so uptight about it that we take offense everytime someone says the word "black" or "chick".

It's not the governments job to babysit your kids, or tell you what's ok to hear and what isn't.

Nor would I trust their judgment to do so.

Quote:
making fun of people doesnt mean you have the 'right' to do it on the air or on TV... Whats so hard to understand about that? you can make fun of whoever you please in your home or amongst your friends.. you cant sue your boss if he fires you for bringing it to the work place...These jockey's have obviously gone outside of what their bosses can tolerate... they got fired/suspended, not sent to jail.

The intelligent statements just keep coming and coming. It's ok to make fun of people in the privacy of your own home, but doing it in public or on a public airwave is wrong.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
reppy
Apparently likes anime
 
reppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,185
reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I can't walk outside my house without offending someone these days.

Sounds like a personal problem to me.

And "censorship" is when Clear Channel radio refuses to play your songs because of their anti-war message. Especially when Clear Channel is considered a monopoly and is providing aid to them in the form of pro-war propaganda. I scratch your back, your scratch mine, eh?

Or how about getting your show cancelled because you dared to have anti-war speakers on? That's "censorship". Gtfo of here with that "OMG A GUY SAID SOMETHING OFFENSIVE AND HIS EMPLOYERS DIDN'T LIKE IT" nonsense.

Quote:
Actually it does.

No, it doesn't. It means you can't be jailed for saying it. Are they in jail!?

Last edited by reppy : 05-18-2007 at 04:13 PM.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,495
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
No, but that's not what you said. You said the Bill of Rights doesn't protect their right to use degrading language against someone.

It does. It's later laws that have been put in place by the Gov't to censor people that have put restrictions on our basic rights.

In fact, during the revolution, one of the earliest forms of public media was just some guy standing up in a crowd talking (like an early press conference I suppose).

One of the earliest freedoms was the right to speak out, against the government, or anything, because people were being persecuted in Britain for talking out against the government, or the church, etc. etc.

There wasn't meant to be any restrictions. Period. Unpopular speech was meant to be protected.

you are all over the place here

Quote:
One of the earliest freedoms was the right to speak out, against the government, or anything, because people were being persecuted in Britain for talking out against the government, or the church, etc. etc.

^these disc jockeys werent doing any of that stuff...they were simply trashing somebody for fun on the air waves. they dont have a right to do this against their bosses will...

Quote:
Precedents are in place because someone set them. The leaders of XM are trying to take the high road and cover their asses because of the Imus situation, the Wee for Wii situation, etc. etc.

thats their right to clean up their act..No smart employer wants the Imus situation to happen to them

Quote:
You can choose to ignore these things if you want, but if they hadn't happened, this suspension wouldn't have taken place either.

there is nothing to ignore... nobody's rights are being violated. Its very weird to see you having a fit because these guys are being reprimanded for trashing people on the air waves...

It would make sense if there was some legitimate issue that they were addressing and the FCC or Xm or whoever was preventing them from making it...but this stuff is pure trash and you are mad because they are getting shut down

Quote:
Oh great, so your answer is to have government, or corporations decide what's right or wrong. That's real smart.

The government hasnt made any decisions and this isnt a goverment issue...sponsers play a large role in who gets air time and if they pull....... its their money and you cant tell them how to spend it

Quote:
When are people going to take responsibility for their own actions?

Im wondering the same thing.... When Imus gets fired its everyone elses fault but Imus's

Now these guys get suspended and its myseriously not their fault either...Its that damned censorship cut it out mathius.... these guys get what they got....they dont have the right to do that against their employer's will and there is no law that says otherwise

Quote:
If you don't like what's on the radio, turn the station. Some people find humor in it.

more like.. "you cant do that anymore and if you dont like it, find another job, some people dont wanna hear that garbage"

Quote:

It's not the governments job to babysit your kids, or tell you what's ok to hear and what isn't.

you are off topic again... this isnt a government issue

Quote:
The intelligent statements just keep coming and coming. It's ok to make fun of people in the privacy of your own home, but doing it in public or on a public airwave is wrong.

*shakes head*

you're being extra difficult today

right or wrong isnt the issue....

there is an appropriate time to do certain things and there is a time when those things are inappropriate...

people need to learn what time it is
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #15
reppy
Apparently likes anime
 
reppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,185
reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Mathius is outraged by shock jocks getting suspended for being too shocking. I wonder if he gets pissed off every time a journalist finds their story at the bottom of the dust bin because they offend an advertiser?
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy