Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #16
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
^these disc jockeys werent doing any of that stuff...they were simply trashing somebody for fun on the air waves. they dont have a right to do this against their bosses will...

This isn't about offending anyone. This is about their bosses not having the balls to support their people, and instead caving to political pressure. It's ok to push the envelope as much as possible until someone's offended and then its your head on the chopping block. These people make me sick.

Quote:
thats their right to clean up their act..No smart employer wants t
the Imus situation to happen to them

The Imus situation happened because MSNBC didn't have the balls to support him. Instead because someone was offended and an apology wasn't good enough, a man that people obviously found entertaining had to lose his job, because of corporate ******* who hide in their offices and decide things.

Quote:
there is nothing to ignore... nobody's rights are being violated. Its very weird to see you having a fit because these guys are being reprimanded for trashing people on the air waves...

WHY? Where is it written that radio has to be NICE?

Quote:
It would make sense if there was some legitimate issue that they were addressing and the FCC or Xm or whoever was preventing them from making it...but this stuff is pure trash and you are mad because they are getting shut down

You find it trash. I find it downright hilarious.

Quote:
The government hasnt made any decisions and this isnt a goverment issue...sponsers play a large role in who gets air time and if they pull....... its their money and you cant tell them how to spend it

You're right there. It isn't a government issue, which is really f*cked up. Because there were NO FCC VIOLATIONS on any of these things, yet these people still lost their jobs.

Quote:
Im wondering the same thing.... When Imus gets fired its everyone elses fault but Imus's

Now these guys get suspended and its myseriously not their fault either...Its that damned censorship

You're right. It isn't their fault. These corporate idiots hire these guys because they want them to be "edgy" and push the envelope, but the moment they push too far, they throw them under the bus.

It's a god damn shame.

Quote:
cut it out mathius.... these guys get what they got....they dont have the right to do that against their employer's will and there is no law that says otherwise

I never said there was a law you idiot. I said that it SHOULD BE protected.

It's a god damn shame that you have a legal right in this country to go outside and tell you neighbor's kids to get the f*ck off your lawn , but if you say it on the radio, you'd be fired for it.

Quote:
more like.. "you cant do that anymore and if you dont like it, find another job, some people dont wanna hear that garbage"

That's a load of garbage too. NONE of these firings or suspensions that have been in the news lately have ANYTHING to do with ratings. Opie and Anthony happen to have very high ratings. Imus obviously did, or he wouldn't be on TV as well as radio.

Obviously people DO want to hear this "garbage", or they would have lost their jobs for poor ratings.

Quote:
you're being extra difficult today

I'm being myself. I'm just tired of putting up with this $hit every other week. I didn't even listen to Imus, but now they're cutting into MY radio programs.

And I'm sick and tired of you idiots that think everything on the radio should be NICE.

Take your "nice" and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. I'm not nice. Life isn't nice. Get over it.

Quote:

right or wrong isnt the issue....

there is an appropriate time to do certain things and there is a time when those things are inappropriate...

people need to learn what time it is

Don't give me that crap. You can't have it both ways. We're not talking about having sex in public, we're talking about speech. You can't say it's ok to make fun of someone in the privacy of your own home, but it's not ok to say it on the airwaves.

There's a word for that, it's called hipocracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Sounds like a personal problem to me.

I don't see it as a problem. If I want to walk outside and stand on my property and tell my neighbor to F*ck off, that's my right as a U.S. citizen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
Mathius is outraged by shock jocks getting suspended for being too shocking.

Exactly. It's what they get paid to do. Then the moment they're considered "too shocking" as you put it, they get **** canned, and its back to crap on the radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
No, it doesn't. It means you can't be jailed for saying it. Are they in jail!?

This is the same bs people used about the Imus situation. Just because you aren't thrown in jail for something doesn't mean your rights as a citizen aren't being infringed on.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #17
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter
 
ConanRulesNBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 8,577
ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Another radio suspension

The only reason they were suspended by XM is because Sirius and XM are trying to merge and have to get the governments approval.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:36 AM   #18
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,501
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
I'm being myself. I'm just tired of putting up with this $hit every other week. I didn't even listen to Imus, but now they're cutting into MY radio programs.

And I'm sick and tired of you idiots that think everything on the radio should be NICE.

Take your "nice" and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. I'm not nice. Life isn't nice. Get over it.

poor thing poor guy cant his fill of garbage on the radio anymore whats this world coming to?
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #19
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star
 
TMacsOneGoodEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,818
TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board
Default Re: Another radio suspension

I used to listen to Opie and Anthony ALL THE TIME. They were HILARIOUS and the greatest thing of all time!!!

Then I turned 16 and grew up and realized that they were pretty silly and anyone who's over 16 and listening to them is an idiot.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #20
l3bronBryant
I airball my layups
 
l3bronBryant's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: beaumaris
Posts: 73
l3bronBryant has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
I used to listen to Opie and Anthony ALL THE TIME. They were HILARIOUS and the greatest thing of all time!!!

Then I turned 16 and grew up and realized that they were pretty silly and anyone who's over 16 and listening to them is an idiot.

dude that not the point why cant u just laugh at stupid stuff anymore, thats the worst thing its not about even thinking like an adult if u listen to that show, and btw KATG.COM download the podcast and they had great information and feedback about it
l3bronBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:15 PM   #21
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
poor thing poor guy cant his fill of garbage on the radio anymore whats this world coming to?

Have you ever even listened to their free fm show? Yes, there's a lot of juvenile stuff sometimes. But a lot of the time the stuff they're making fun of is pretty valid.

Like how horrible the news coverage is. Like how we can air the Virginia Tech shooting tapes without any conscious thought about copycat killings etc.

Or about how we can air the Virginia Tech shootings and then follow that story up with a squirrel waterskiing.

They're not the total morons you make them out to be.

I think they're pretty dead on with their opinions on Hilary Clinton. She doesn't take a stand on anything until she's decided that she's safe saying something about it.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:44 PM   #22
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,501
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
They're not the total morons you make them out to be.

you are right...Im sure they dont bash people the whole show....they just need to think a bit more before they get themselves into trouble
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #23
Put Back Dunk
TOMMY POINT!
 
Put Back Dunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South of Boston
Posts: 1,640
Put Back Dunk has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Another radio suspension

First, this is crazy, I seriously didn't think there were any another O&A fans on ISH

Second, as much as I love the show and have been a fan for years Rasheed is right on his main point - this isn't a free speech issue because their civil rights aren't being violated in anyway, and no one is legally obligated to do anything in this situation because being on the radio is a privilage, not a right.

HOWEVER, let me clear up a few misconceptions for those who don't listen or didn't hear the clip that 'got them suspended'...

- They weren't suspended for "what they said", because it wasn't even them that said it; it was a homeless guy they had in studio

- Despite what a lot of news programs have said, the word "r*pe" was never used or even alluded to. The homeless guy was talking about how he'd like to have sex with certain women in politics and for whatever reason it was spun into 'Opie and Anthony joke about sexually assaulting the Secretary of State'. Which really shows how incompetent the media is when it comes to gathering facts.

- They really weren't even suspended for those comments because the official suspension came days after an apology about the incident on Free FM. XM felt that the apology was not sincere only after they continued making referrences to the incident and talked about how ridiculous it was after they had agreed not to talk about it just days earlier. That's why the statement from XM talks about them 'not taking the matter seriously'.

Even though in the past a "suspension" in radio usually means that the company is just trying to buy some time for the lawyers to find a way out of the contract before they fire the host(s), I honestly believe that this is a real suspension and they'll be back on XM after the 30 days are up. Like a few people have already mentioned in the thread this is just an attempt to 'save face' during the upcomming hearings about the XM/Sirius merger (I believe there are 3 hearings between now and when the suspension ends).

Besides, there isn't any special interest group that's 'outraged' about the incident. And even if there was, they can't do the normal routine of pressuring companies to pull their advertising dollars from the show/station to try to get them fired because it's XM - there are no advertisers, it's a subscription based service.

So not only do people actually like hearing this "filth", THEY PAY TO HEAR IT. In fact, the channel that Opie and Anthony are on (202) is the most listened to channel on XM. Also, if people don't want to hear it or don't want their children to hear it they can block the channel just like with cable TV. There are just way too many fail-safes in this situation, it's completely different from what happened with Imus.
Put Back Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #24
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Another radio suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Put Back Dunk
Second, as much as I love the show and have been a fan for years Rasheed is right on his main point - this isn't a free speech issue because their civil rights aren't being violated in anyway, and no one is legally obligated to do anything in this situation because being on the radio is a privilage, not a right.

<SNIP>

- They really weren't even suspended for those comments because the official suspension came days after an apology about the incident on Free FM. XM felt that the apology was not sincere only after they continued making referrences to the incident and talked about how ridiculous it was after they had agreed not to talk about it just days earlier. That's why the statement from XM talks about them 'not taking the matter seriously'.

Except that if it wasn't a free speech issue, then they wouldn't have had to make an apology.

Look, I realize that if you look at it directly, no, it wasn't free speech. It was about the company being pissed because O&A (legitimately if you ask me) thought the whole situation was ridiculous. I don't have an XM subscription, I listen to them on Free FM, but it sounds like they were pretty much being forced into an apology. Especially after the Imus situation where they publically stated that Imus shouldn't have apologized.

None of this had anything to do with the government coming down on them, neither in this situation, or the Imus situation. I get that. But it's the previous restrictions put in place by the FCC, in ADDITION to the precidence set with the Janet Jackson, Kramer, Imus, etc. situations that are directly responsible for this.

If the government would quit telling people what is ok and what isn't ok to say on the radio, these special interest groups wouldn't have a leg to stand on to do things like they did in the Imus situation and these corporate ding dongs wouldn't be placing restrictions on things like they do.

An FCC fine is a ridiculous amount now, as opposed to in the past. I think I remember O&A saying there are literally about 8 filters for their show to dump out if something bad is said, just so they can avoid a fine.

There are no such filters in place on XM, because there isn't supposed to be a limit to what they can say. It is supposed to be uncensored because it is subscription!

Quote:
So not only do people actually like hearing this "filth", THEY PAY TO HEAR IT. In fact, the channel that Opie and Anthony are on (202) is the most listened to channel on XM. Also, if people don't want to hear it or don't want their children to hear it they can block the channel just like with cable TV. There are just way too many fail-safes in this situation, it's completely different from what happened with Imus.

Which is kind've what pissed me off about Rasheed's high and mighty stance that this was "garbage".

If this is such utter trash that people shouldn't be listening to it, why do O&A have such great ratings?

Why are they being paid so much? Why did they do so well on a SUBSCRIPTION basis, where people PAID TO LISTEN to their shows, that they were offered a chance to come back to Free FM after an almost 2 year ban?

And that's not to even mention "the O&A Pests"

Because people like Rasheed are completely uninformed about the show, and it's very successful, and people want to hear it. That's why.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy