Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-27-2016, 09:43 PM   #31
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s

Default Re: Anyone here invest in stocks / bonds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
I'll read more in dept on what you wrote later, but this seems well thought out. It's more of a financial planning made for future return.

What software did you use or website to generate that kind of response?

I didn't use any software or website, except this website to generate that expense ratio comparison: http://www.begintoinvest.com/expense-ratio-calculator/

I was able to generate that kind of response because I read those 3 books (and more) that I recommended. I've also done a lot of investing myself.
Cleverness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #32
Draz
The People's Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverness
I didn't use any software or website, except this website to generate that expense ratio comparison: http://www.begintoinvest.com/expense-ratio-calculator/

I was able to generate that kind of response because I read those 3 books (and more) that I recommended. I've also done a lot of investing myself.

I want to get into investing. I feel like I should tell you why. I'm going into case worker/social worker. When I get my masters (4-5) years from now, I'll probably be making sub 40-45k as a social worker at minimum. It's not the best living. I'm passionate about it and intend on promotions to help with salary increase.

I with no doubt, will require third party involvement with other fields to make enough. That being said, this (into real estate/ stock/ bonds, etc) will probably be my first option.
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #33
Bosnian Sajo
Why?

Quote:
So, if one were to buy a stock, one wouldn't need a broker right? With the software, you can easily buy and sell?

I'm approaching 13k in savings, but I can't gamble on that with stocks

You should of put that 13k on the nintendo stock (japanese stock market), would of literally doubled your money because of the pokemon go app.

I'm regretting it, I had 6k on hand when the game came out, found out the stock jumped 25% in the first 5 days and was kicking myself. Thought it was too late to make a profit....little did I know the stock would rise another 50%

Idk what the high point was, but ik it was damn close to double the initial. Say it "only" did go up 75% total, that's still $4500 I could of made quick.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Keep your eye out on what NEW apps are popping, and then track the stock that is associated with that app. You'll find a trend.
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #34
Draz
The People's Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
You should of put that 13k on the nintendo stock (japanese stock market), would of literally doubled your money because of the pokemon go app.

I'm regretting it, I had 6k on hand when the game came out, found out the stock jumped 25% in the first 5 days and was kicking myself. Thought it was too late to make a profit....little did I know the stock would rise another 50%

Idk what the high point was, but ik it was damn close to double the initial. Say it "only" did go up 75% total, that's still $4500 I could of made quick.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Keep your eye out on what NEW apps are popping, and then track the stock that is associated with that app. You'll find a trend.

I need to read the books recommended first. I know nothing or anything really about investing. There are so many steps and shit involved. Then there's the taxes.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:57 PM   #35
warriorfan
Itís gonna be easy!

Quote:

By the time you find out an app is dope, it's already too late
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #36
Bosnian Sajo
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan
By the time you find out an app is dope, it's already too late

But that's the thing, it wasn't too late. Did you read my post? 5 days after it's initial release, the entire ****ing nintendo stock jumped 25%. At that point, I thought the same thing you're saying, it's too late. I check the stock again like 2 weeks later, it's up another 50%.

Had I invested when I found out it jumped 25% initially, I still would of made a cool 3k (which is nice for a college student, lol). Idk how the taxes and all that other bs work, but still.
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #37
Draz
The People's Choice

Quote:
But that's the thing, it wasn't too late. Did you read my post? 5 days after it's initial release, the entire ****ing nintendo stock jumped 25%. At that point, I thought the same thing you're saying, it's too late. I check the stock again like 2 weeks later, it's up another 50%.

Had I invested when I found out it jumped 25% initially, I still would of made a cool 3k (which is nice for a college student, lol). Idk how the taxes and all that other bs work, but still.

IRS gonna tax this niggv 3/4 of what he made
Old 08-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #38
warriorfan
Itís gonna be easy!

Quote:

Hindsight is 20/20
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:07 PM   #39
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorfan
Hindsight is 20/20

Exactly. There are tons of stocks that you could have bought and made a fortune on. The only time I've bought an individual stock is Twitter, and I did it just for fun. I bought $1,000 at $14.06 per share a few months ago. It was up to $20.86/share (48%) a couple of weeks ago, now it's at $18.30. I could have sold them at $20.86/share, but who knew that would be it's high point of the month?

Quote:

And the Nintendo stock dipped quite a bit recently. "I would have made 3k" ... not only do you need to buy at the right time, but you also need to SELL at the right time. People forget this very important concept. Have you sold your Nintendo stock yet? If not, you haven't actually made any real money from the buy (though it appears as if you've bought at a good time).

Too often I hear colleagues and friends say things like, "man, stock market is down, I lost $50,000 last month." -- Wrong. You didn't lose it because you haven't actually sold your stocks yet. And because your money is mostly in index funds, they are sure to recover in the long run. Same is true for people who say "I made $50,000 last month!" without actually selling any of their assets.

Quote:
IRS gonna tax this niggv 3/4 of what he made

Actually, he won't be taxed until he sells his shares. Assuming he bought them with a brokerage account and sells them within 1 year of buying, then he will pay taxes on them as ordinary income (as if he got a 3k bonus or w/e from work).

That's another benefit to long-term investing: capital gains taxes are much lower when you buy and hold for 1+ years.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:13 PM   #40
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Quote:

That's another benefit to long-term investing: capital gains taxes are much lower when you buy and hold for 1+ years.
what is the tax rate if you buy a stock and sell it soon rather than holding onto it for over a year?
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #41
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s

Quote:
I want to get into investing. I feel like I should tell you why. I'm going into case worker/social worker. When I get my masters (4-5) years from now, I'll probably be making sub 40-45k as a social worker at minimum. It's not the best living. I'm passionate about it and intend on promotions to help with salary increase.

I with no doubt, will require third party involvement with other fields to make enough. That being said, this (into real estate/ stock/ bonds, etc) will probably be my first option.

There may be a way, but I don't know how to easily/reliably/legally/safely make more than ~8% return on investment annually. If anyone knows, please share.

Becoming a part time real estate agents sounds like a second job... not a good idea IMO. And investing in Real Estate alone is rough. It takes a lot of time and stress and like I said earlier, you have to sell for at least 110% of what you spent to make a profit. That all takes lots of time and you'll probably end up losing money.

Stocks - Part time day trader? Think again. 95-99% of day traders lose money in the long run. See this post here for more info/study: https://www.quora.com/Do-90-of-day-traders-lose-money

I'll tell you a secret about the financial industry.. they don't make money from market timing (buying/selling stocks at the right time). They make money from charging [excessive] fees. The "financial advisers" are more like salesman just trying to sell you expensive funds they offer while tossing bits of advice here and there, making it seem like they want what's best for you.

So if the big financial institutions can't time the market, then it's going to be REALLY tough for you (or me or anyone) to time the market and buy that Nintendo or Tesla stock at its trough AND sell it as its peak.

So...

Your best bet is to work on that promotion and SPEND LESS.

Seriously. Here's how you'll save a ton of money:

1. Don't buy a house; it's a horrible investment.
2. Never buy a brand new car; it's also a horrible investment.
3. Never pay credit card interest.
4. Cook your own meals. Go out once in a while, but try to cook your own food.

Digressing for a moment about cars... my colleague bought a new BMW 750i. Five years later, he sold it and bought a brand new SUV. It cost him over $100,000 to drive that BMW for 5 years. Here's how it all added up:

-$54,000 depreciation
-$9,000 taxes/fees
-$8,000 financing
-$13,000 fuel
-$9,000 insurance
-$12,000 maintenance/repairs

Don't buy a new car and don't buy a new car often. This is horrible idea if you would like to become rich. He loses 80k+ every 5 years that could have been invested. He could have driven a used economy car for ~15k over 5 years and invested that 85k into an index fund. That 85k would be $2,000,000 in 40 years!

I'm not saying it's wrong to buy that car or enjoy the fruits of your success; spend money on what you love. But the important point I'm making is that most people don't even realize how much it is costing them in the long run. Same goes for houses. People who buy them don't realize how much it is costing them in the long run.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:49 PM   #42
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
what is the tax rate if you buy a stock and sell it soon rather than holding onto it for over a year?

If you buy $1000 of Twitter stock and sell it for $1500 less than a year later, then you'd be taxed the same amountas if your company gave you a $500 bonus.

You'd pay income taxes on $500.

The exact rate depends on how much you make that year.

Last edited by Cleverness : 08-27-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:50 PM   #43
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Quote:
If you buy $1000 of Twitter stock and sell it for $1500 less than a year later, then you'd be taxed the same amount you'd get taxed as if your company gave you a $500 bonus.

You'd pay income taxes on $500.

The exact rate depends on how much you make that year.
I've heard of people finding loopholes, could you explain them? Something about shell companies.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #44
Draz
The People's Choice

Quote:
Exactly. There are tons of stocks that you could have bought and made a fortune on. The only time I've bought an individual stock is Twitter, and I did it just for fun. I bought $1,000 at $14.06 per share a few months ago. It was up to $20.86/share (48%) a couple of weeks ago, now it's at $18.30. I could have sold them at $20.86/share, but who knew that would be it's high point of the month?

And the Nintendo stock dipped quite a bit recently. "I would have made 3k" ... not only do you need to buy at the right time, but you also need to SELL at the right time. People forget this very important concept. Have you sold your Nintendo stock yet? If not, you haven't actually made any real money from the buy (though it appears as if you've bought at a good time).

Too often I hear colleagues and friends say things like, "man, stock market is down, I lost $50,000 last month." -- Wrong. You didn't lose it because you haven't actually sold your stocks yet. And because your money is mostly in index funds, they are sure to recover in the long run. Same is true for people who say "I made $50,000 last month!" without actually selling any of their assets.

Actually, he won't be taxed until he sells his shares. Assuming he bought them with a brokerage account and sells them within 1 year of buying, then he will pay taxes on them as ordinary income (as if he got a 3k bonus or w/e from work).

Dude. Where the **** have you been?
Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 AM   #45
Kvnzhangyay
National High School Star

Actually investing in stocks/bonds is good but it takes a lot of time to do right, as others have alluded too.

A simple thing I would recommend (and that i do for the most part) is to go look at a target fund (i know blackrock has some), and look at the allocation at your age, and just buy passive funds in those allocations.
Kvnzhangyay is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: