Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-17-2007, 10:33 PM   #16
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Default Re: LeBron James and Damon Jones didn't support Ira Newble's Darfur initiative

not enough information?

WHAT?

idiot...

I am pretty sure I've signed about 18 of those in the last few months. preppy ass girls who probably don't even know what continent Sudan is in, or that Sudan and Darfur refer to the same genocide, or that Darfur is a region within Sudan and they're not 2 countries at war or whatever, keep coming around during lunch and demanding everyone sign their dumb petition. whatever. if it actually helps (no) great. if not at least they leave me alone.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:42 PM   #17
wild orchid
Serious playground baller

Default Re: LeBron James and Damon Jones didn't support Ira Newble's Darfur initiative

He should have signed it but so should every pro athlete especially black athletes.
wild orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:53 PM   #18
knicks15
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal9
If he had concerns about about signing the petition because of other contracts, I'm sure he would have mentioned it.

yeah like that would make him look any better. "im not gonna sign this petition because nike is paying me. cha-chinggggg"
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 PM   #19
knicks15
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
even if it was, would he be risking his livelihood by signing his name?

would all $90 million go right down the drain?

no, but if someone is paying u 90 mill. would u think twice about signing a petition that probably makes the company thats paying u look bad?
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #20
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

You know what else? I'll be the one to say it. Darfur can kiss my ass.

I'd much rather see Lebron invest his money in some U.S. charities.

I'm sick and tired of the U.S. helping out other countries when we have so many problems here.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #21
Poseidon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
You know what else? I'll be the one to say it. Darfur can kiss my ass.

I'd much rather see Lebron invest his money in some U.S. charities.

I'm sick and tired of the U.S. helping out other countries when we have so many problems here.

Mathius

You're an idiot....the typical "Ugly American" that everyone around the world hates.

Darfur > Ohio
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #22
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon
You're an idiot....the typical "Ugly American" that everyone around the world hates.

Darfur > Ohio

no need for names.

and people all around the world only hate America because America >>> any other country in the world.

and the genocide in Darfur is a tragedy and I have signed petitions and donated some money to try to help out.

but as for Lebron, he is arguably the face of the NBA and a very big player. if he were to take a firm stance one way or the other, they would turn him into a posterchild or a scapegoat for one thing or the other.

for a budding superstar, you do NOT need to open a can of worms.

but Lebron can privately donate some money under an alias, and feel better knowing he helped a good cause
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #23
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
no need for names.

and people all around the world only hate America because America >>> any other country in the world.
People dont hate america because its the best country they are hated because generally american's are arrogant and ignorant to what is happening outside the US. As the US gov't involves itself in many world problems or contributes to some world problems other nations are aware of these things but US media gives us tunnel vision.
That was a difficult read... Nike is connected to china china buys there oil and the sudan buys the chinese weapons...
I cant hate on Lebron for not doing something publicly or even putting himself in a position to rock the boat. Jordan did the same for years and he is one of the most beloved athletes. PR firms will make it known how much other good he does for sure.
Not everyone is cut out to be a role model and leader in society. There probably will never be another Muhammad Ali or Bob Marley....
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #24
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

saying Americans are arrogant is an arrogant statement in itself.

okay, the Bush Administration has performed actions that are less than savory in the international arena. that point is conceded.

then there are the billionaires, Texas oil barons who want their profit in the bottom line. then there are unscrupulous businessmen.

then there are criminals and others...

then there is the "decadent" culture that many others find disturbing.

I am postulating these are what many other people judge America by... and that is just
unwarranted...

to judge the actions of the whole by those of the few is... bigotry.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #25
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

If everyone reads the article, you'll find it is a letter to China not a petition saying "yes, I am against genocide in Dafur, lets do something about it."

People are right, more information about the letter needs to be given.

Inference and context clues probably tell us the content of the letter has to do with China buying Sudanese oil and then selling the militias weapons, and probably says something about the Olympics (mentioned in the article as the "genocide olympics."), and these players non-support for the actions of the Chinese government or the Olympics.

So basically, "screw off China for selling buying oil from Sudan and then selling weapons to the militias, your Olympics suck and are fueled with blood money."

Yes, LeBron could do it and lose all his endorsements or he can also say "I won't sign this particular letter and lose all my money, but I will instead take some of the money I am getting by NOT signing the letter and send it to help the cause."

I don't know if he'll do that, but that'd be the smart thing to do. If he does do it, I'm sure we'll never here about it.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #26
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/sp...erland&emc=rss

Heres a better one.

Quote:
CLEVELAND, May 15 — Ira Newble was not politically active until he read about Eric Reeves. Reeves was not a fan of professional basketball until he received a flurry of e-mail messages from Newble.
But Reeves, a 57-year-old English professor at Smith College in Massachusetts, is now rooting hard for the Cleveland Cavaliers, and Newble, a Cavs reserve, is now pushing hard to advance Reeves’s humanitarian cause.

Their common ground is Darfur, the region of Sudan where an armed conflict has caused the death of an estimated 500,000 civilians and the displacement of 2.5 million others. It has been called genocide by a number of governments, including the United States, and by Reeves, a leading scholar on the conflict.

A passionate advocate for international intervention, Reeves was profiled by USA Today in March. Newble read the story while the Cavs were on the road, and was so moved that he reached out to Reeves.

“There’s innocent people dying, and it’s just a tragedy to stand back and let them do what they’re doing,” Newble said.

So Newble chose to act. He absorbed as much information as he could find on the Internet. He downloaded fact sheets and articles, made printouts and put copies in every teammate’s locker.

The result is a letter, signed by Newble and most of his teammates and released last week, that takes aim at China, which supplies the Sudanese government with money and weapons. China, in turn, is a major importer of Sudan’s oil.

The letter reads in part, “We, as basketball players in the N.B.A. and as potential athletes in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Beijing, cannot look on with indifference to the massive human suffering and destruction that continue in the Darfur region of Sudan.” It concludes with a plea to the Chinese government “to use all available diplomatic resources and economic pressure to end the agony of Darfur, and to secure access for U.N. peace support personnel.”

The letter has not been signed by the star LeBron James but has been endorsed by most of the Cavaliers’ roster, including the starters Drew Gooden, Larry Hughes, Sasha Pavlovic and Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Reeves said this simple gesture could be the start of something much greater.

“This is the catalyst that’s going to stimulate within the sports world a phenomenal response, and an international response to the realities in Darfur, which the world has allowed,” Reeves said in a telephone interview. “This is the fifth year of genocidal destruction. It’s unconscionable that the international community has allowed this to continue for so long.”

Newble is reaching out to as many of the N.B.A.’s 400-plus players as he can. His agent, Steve Kauffman, has spread the word through his peers. Kauffman also plans to contact the players unions of the National Football League and Major League Baseball to enlist their support.

Reeves envisions the movement spreading across the athletic spectrum. Advocates have reached out to Muhammad Ali, perhaps the most famous athlete-activist, and are optimistic that he will join their cause.

Reeves and others say China holds the key to improving the situation in Darfur. They are highlighting Beijing’s role as the host of the 2008 Olympic Games, but are not calling for a boycott.

Newble, a seven-year N.B.A. journeyman playing for his third team, is probably unknown to most basketball fans. He is not in the Cavaliers’ regular rotation and has made only a token appearance in their Eastern Conference semifinal series against the Nets.

Newble will probably have little impact on the series, which Cleveland leads, 3-1. But the longer the Cavaliers play, the more chances Newble has to recruit players to his cause and to give interviews on Darfur, which is why Reeves finds himself rooting for Cleveland.

In the Cavaliers’ locker room, Newble — who idolized Ali as a child — is known for his outspokenness, his intellect and his keen interest in world affairs.

“He’s a very caring person and he’s very educated, very knowledgeable about a lot of different things,” his teammate Damon Jones said.

The campaign is straightforward and relatively restrained, but is potentially awkward for the N.B.A. Last week, Commissioner David Stern hinted at operating a league in China and designated the Cavaliers’ James as the N.B.A.’s ambassador. The players union just announced its own partnership with a Chinese corporation.

Stern declined to address Newble’s letter specifically but said through a spokeswoman, “We respect our players’ rights to express their views on important public issues.” The players union issued a statement stressing that it was doing business with a Chinese corporation, not the Chinese government, adding, “The problems and issues in the Sudan and Darfur are extraordinarily complex and nuanced.”

Only three of Newble’s teammates did not sign the letter, and two of them — James and Jones — have business ties to China. (The third player, David Wesley, is away from the team tending to family matters.)

James, one of the N.B.A.’s most marketed stars, has a $90 million endorsement contract with Nike, which has extensive dealings in China. Jones has an endorsement deal with Li Ning, a shoe company in China.

“It’s basically not having enough information,” James said of his decision not to sign the letter.

Jones said of the letter, “I can’t comment about that.”

Newble considers the impact that a major N.B.A. star — perhaps Shaquille O’Neal, Dwyane Wade or Carmelo Anthony — could have on the Darfur campaign. He says he understands that some will be reluctant to risk their names and business opportunities.

“But at the end of the day,” he said, “if you’re doing something good, it’s all going to come back to you.”
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #27
allball
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal9
Even I've donated some money to help out a little in the Darfur crisis. The "not enough information" excuse is BS. What's there to know? People are getting killed and are being forced to live in the desert under twigs for shelter, you greedy bastard. If he didn't know, maybe he could take 10 minutes out of his time to know whats up. Whatever, he's already shown me prior to this that he is one of the dumbest (intellectually) players in the league so I am not surprised.

maybe the man might want to know where his money's going exactly before it ends up in some corrupt person's pockets. that little $5 you're donating might not mean much but... plus he does enough locally. people step all over folks right here and self righteously pat themselves on the back. I sympathize with the Darfur situation and any similar situation but it's not the only cause in the world.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #28
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
America >>> any other country in the world.
that's not arrogance???
Patriotism & Pride is one thing Superiority is another... You do know the last country that claimed superiority...

But I digress the issue is IMHO he should not be vilified for not signing.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #29
gigantes
‪ ‪

so it's clear at this point that the situation is about money, not about 'lack of information'. if james simply needed information, there is a wealth of it he could quickly get right from his laptop.

james is under no obligation to sign a thing or do anything at all for his fellow man. he's free to sit back and cautiously avoid taking any risks that might jeopardise his chances of becoming even richer than he is already.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #30
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
so it's clear at this point that the situation is about money, not about 'lack of information'. if james simply needed information, there is a wealth of it he could quickly get right from his laptop.

Doesn't mean he had all the information when he was interviewed for this article, or even when Ira asked him. One thing about being an NBA superstar, AND having all those endorsements and charities, is I'd be willing to bet his schedule is pretty booked.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: