Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #31
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: LeBron James and Damon Jones didn't support Ira Newble's Darfur initiative

In this case it would seem that Lebron is refusing to sign out of selfishness, but it's hard to know for sure. As an anecdote, some kids down the street came by a few months ago asking for money for Darfur, and I didn't give them any because they couldn't tell me what the money would be used for. If the money could be spent evacuating victims or something like that, I'd be happy to give what I can, but I hadn't heard anything about that being done. It's not like starving chilrden where money can buy food and directly solve the problem. In this case, political and economical pressure is probably the answer, and I do believe that celebrities should be willing to lend their name to save lives.

A point of interest that troubles me, is that (as many of you know, my personal hero) Warren Buffett, has been unwilling to divest Berkshire's enormous stake in PetroChina because he doesn't believe that doing so would help the situation in Darfur. I have enormous respect for Warren, and know him to be a passionate liberal who has contributed on many occassions to various social issues (nuclear proliferation, reproductive rights, 30+ billion given to Gates to fight disease), so I would love to hear more on what he thinks the answer here is, if not economic pressure. Warren and Lebron do talk from time to time, though I don't have reason to suspect they've covered the topic of Darfur. But it's possible.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #32
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: LeBron James and Damon Jones didn't support Ira Newble's Darfur initiative

Even if LeBron had insufficient knowledge on the topic at the time of Newble's request, and assuming he was not interviewed the following day, he had plenty of time to inform himself.

Obviously he doesn't care. Not the end of the world, but also doesn't do anything to mitigate his corporate-b!tch image.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #33
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPower
That's what I meant. Seems like the most important part of the article, and it's glossed over What exactly did they want Lebron to sign? Are there any obvious conflicts of interests? Would doing so hurt his opportunity to play in the Olympics?

China, the Council on Foreign Relations says, buys about two-thirds of Sudan's oil.
The Sudanese government uses that money to buy weapons, many of which are made in China. Beijing is slated to host next year's Summer Olympics.

Cited in the article he read earlier this season was Smith College professor Eric Reeves, who in mid-March received an e- mail from a professional basketball player whose name he didn't recognize.

With assistance from Reeves and Jill Savitt, director of the Olympic Dream for Darfur campaign, Newble drafted an open letter from professional athletes to China's government.

So basically he wants media pressure on china to stop buying oil from the sudanese govt.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #34
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz

A point of interest that troubles me, is that (as many of you know, my personal hero) Warren Buffett, has been unwilling to divest Berkshire's enormous stake in PetroChina because he doesn't believe that doing so would help the situation in Darfur. so I would love to hear more on what he thinks the answer here is, if not economic pressure. Warren and Lebron do talk from time to time, though I don't have reason to suspect they've covered the topic of Darfur. But it's possible.
MOney before compassion. It wouldn't make economic sense to divest so their is no social reason to divest.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #35
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Even if LeBron had insufficient knowledge on the topic at the time of Newble's request, and assuming he was not interviewed the following day, he had plenty of time to inform himself.

Obviously he doesn't care. Not the end of the world, but also doesn't do anything to mitigate his corporate-b!tch image.

I don't think it's that obvious, nor do I think he's obligated to care.

People choose to help other people because they want to. Nothing says they have to. That doesn't make him a bad person. Who knows what else he does for other charity groups?

And yeah, I'm not saying he isn't trying to make money, or protect his investments either, but I sure as hell would be too.

The world is all about money. The old adage, money doesn't buy happiness is pretty inaccurate these days.

If you're happy and you don't have money, you either A. Love your job (good for you) B. Have someone else supporting you, or C. Are just plain naive.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #36
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
no need for names.

and people all around the world only hate America because America >>> any other country in the world.

That's the only reason to hate America?

"Well, they've ****ed up the Middle East and overthrown several legitimate governments, but dammit.. I hate them because their country is so much better than mine."
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #37
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
You know what else? I'll be the one to say it. Darfur can kiss my ass.

I'd much rather see Lebron invest his money in some U.S. charities.

I'm sick and tired of the U.S. helping out other countries when we have so many problems here.

Mathius
It's much more valuable in poorer places. 100$ in another country can have a much huger impact on a lot more people than 1000$ here. Not that we should stop trying to improve here, but it makes sense to donate to other countries too, even if you do value them 10x less than your fellow Americans for some strange reason.

As far as the article goes, it's wrong to get on Lebron's case about not supporting something. I'm sure there's plenty of good things you don't support, and I don't know how much a petition would do anyways

Last edited by yobore : 05-18-2007 at 05:26 PM.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #38
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

I happen to think the mega wealthy have a moral obligation to help those less unfortunate of it. Do you have to agree with that? No. I don't give a damn if you agree with it or not. But seriously.. can anyone ever do anything with $100 million? Seriously? What would you spend that much money on?

Damn dude, give me $1 million and I buy myself a nice modest home with a few acres (probably around $300k) and live comfortably with the rest of the money for the remainder of my years.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #39
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
I happen to think the mega wealthy have a moral obligation to help those less unfortunate of it. Do you have to agree with that? No. I don't give a damn if you agree with it or not. But seriously.. can anyone ever do anything with $100 million? Seriously? What would you spend that much money on?

Damn dude, give me $1 million and I buy myself a nice modest home with a few acres (probably around $300k) and live comfortably with the rest of the money for the remainder of my years.
I agree and I think that people's whose talents are disproportionately rewarded (investors, athletes, movie stars) in our economy should give back but just because they didn't sign a particular petition or help a particular cause or whatever the article is about isn't criticisable. Now if it's a bigger trend for them yeah maybe.

Last edited by yobore : 05-18-2007 at 05:45 PM.
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #40
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I don't think it's that obvious, nor do I think he's obligated to care.

People choose to help other people because they want to. Nothing says they have to. That doesn't make him a bad person. Who knows what else he does for other charity groups?

And yeah, I'm not saying he isn't trying to make money, or protect his investments either, but I sure as hell would be too.

The world is all about money. The old adage, money doesn't buy happiness is pretty inaccurate these days.

If you're happy and you don't have money, you either A. Love your job (good for you) B. Have someone else supporting you, or C. Are just plain naive.

Mathius

It's quite obvious he doesn't care. It would take 1 quick phone call to get specifics on the letter and or aid and how it would or would not directly affect those at a disadvantage. I'm sure he wouldn't even have to call, have one of his chronies do it for him.

So, as I stated before, presuming the interview was not the day after Newble brought it up to the team he had plenty of time to get more info. He chose not too, therefore he really doesn't care, as it would take only a sec for him to tell his people to get some more info.

He's a corporate *****. So what. I mean if you want to be a homer for his on court performance that's fine, but why waste your time defending him as a person.

Well I guess you answered that earlier when you said you don't give a **** about Darfur. In that sense you are sticking up for him because you both share the same viewpoint. Neither of you give a **** about the issue.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #41
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
You know what else? I'll be the one to say it. Darfur can kiss my ass.

I'd much rather see Lebron invest his money in some U.S. charities.

I'm sick and tired of the U.S. helping out other countries when we have so many problems here.

Mathius
you are an idiot. This isnt about starving people or the green revolution or disease. This is the largest ethnic genocide since rwanda and one of the largest of all time. Less people died in the Balkans in the 90s. Seriously, almost half a million people have been slaughtered in cold blood simply because of their ethnic heritage. So take your "charity" and blow it out your ass. No one is asking for his money, only his high public profile, to try and help people who are being butchered because they are tribal africans.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #42
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
no need for names.

and people all around the world only hate America because America >>> any other country in the world.

but as for Lebron, he is arguably the face of the NBA and a very big player. if he were to take a firm stance one way or the other, they would turn him into a posterchild or a scapegoat for one thing or the other.
For someone who talks about politics a lot, you certainly do not understand the history of US foreign relations. We have repeatedly overthrown governments and destablized entire regions in the name of advancing private US enterprise. Many areas of the world do have a justifiable dislike of the US, primarily due to the quashing of national policies that would benefit the citizens of a country but harm US capital. WE have treated the world as a natural resource and labor pool that we have entitled access to.

This type of "they hate us cause we are better than them" is the worst kind of empty rhetoric.

Scapegoat? For not wanting people to buy oil from a government using the money to terrorize ethnic groups? Get the **** outta here with that. This isnt a situation where there is a lot of questionable grey area to stand on.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #43
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Lebron should have signed the letter, and I find it hard to believe that he didn't do so because of his contract with Nike and their dealings with China... Would Nike really drop Lebron because of this? I highly highly doubt that. What will be damning is if Pierce, Bryant, Nash, Amare and others who have dealing with Nike sign the letter.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #44
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
For someone who talks about politics a lot, you certainly do not understand the history of US foreign relations. We have repeatedly overthrown governments and destablized entire regions in the name of advancing private US enterprise. Many areas of the world do have a justifiable dislike of the US, primarily due to the quashing of national policies that would benefit the citizens of a country but harm US capital. WE have treated the world as a natural resource and labor pool that we have entitled access to.

This type of "they hate us cause we are better than them" is the worst kind of empty rhetoric.

Scapegoat? For not wanting people to buy oil from a government using the money to terrorize ethnic groups? Get the **** outta here with that. This isnt a situation where there is a lot of questionable grey area to stand on.

MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:18 PM   #45
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
It's quite obvious he doesn't care. It would take 1 quick phone call to get specifics on the letter and or aid and how it would or would not directly affect those at a disadvantage. I'm sure he wouldn't even have to call, have one of his chronies do it for him.

So, as I stated before, presuming the interview was not the day after Newble brought it up to the team he had plenty of time to get more info. He chose not too, therefore he really doesn't care, as it would take only a sec for him to tell his people to get some more info.

How do you know he didn't afterwards? You guys just spout **** without having all the facts. It's comical.

He didn't drop everything and look into this, so automatically he doesn't care.

Quote:
He's a corporate *****. So what. I mean if you want to be a homer for his on court performance that's fine, but why waste your time defending him as a person.

Again, research your facts, *********. I'm probably the most critical Cavalier fan on this board, stupid. All the other Cavs fans practically hate me right now because I don't think they're going anywhere in the playoffs.

There's no "homer" from this address.

And I'm not defending him as a person. I'm just pointing out that you're bashing him without having all the facts in front of you.

Quote:
Well I guess you answered that earlier when you said you don't give a **** about Darfur. In that sense you are sticking up for him because you both share the same viewpoint. Neither of you give a **** about the issue.

You're right, I don't give a $hit about the issue. I'm sure their situation is appropriately sad, but when I can barely pay my bills, don't expect me to care about some third world country, no matter how poorly off they have it.

When everyone in the U.S. is making a comfortable income and there's almost no homeless, then maybe I'll give a $hit about some other country that isn't smart enough to take care of themselves.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: